In defense of Street Styles, etc...
Jul 10, 2002 at 9:44 AM Post #16 of 34
I don't quite see how the Sony Streetstyles are supposed to be different from the KSC35 in terms of leakage. The clip-on versions leak like a sieve and are in fact the loudest phones on the outside that I have ever encountered outside...

Oh, and they are just as hard to put on as the KSC35.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 10, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #17 of 34
The clip ons are called 'w.ear'. They distinct from the Street Style range and are more comparable with the KSC-35 and 50.

Jul 10, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
And had I seen you with your HD280, I would have fallen off my chair laughing.

LOL!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #19 of 34
I am not really sure why I am letting myself get caught up in this, but...

I really don't think that your best choice for headphones using any criteria is the sony streetstyles. I think there are many other headphones which look better, are more comfortable, leak less, and sound far superior. Case in point are the ER-6. Ok, so they are more expensive, but if cost is your main object, then screw it, don't buy headphones period. Or, if your stock ones break, get some $5 Coby brand ones. I don't see the point in arguing about this any further.

Driftwood

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #20 of 34
All right folks... I think we strayed off the subject here, but the general jist of what I'm saying is the headphones have to be tested with they are reviewed in their intended applications.

So - putting my money where my mouth is as it were, would anyone be interested in a Sony MDR-G72 / Sony MDR-EX70 / Sennheiser MX500 / Koss KSC-50 comparison?

Rest assured I'll do a little more than frown at them at home with a TAH...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

And had I seen you with your HD280, I would have fallen off my chair laughing.

Quote:

LOL!

Hey a1leyez0nm3--Ignore those elitist snobs--if I saw you on the bus with your HD280, I would have been jealous knowing you could be listening to great music on terrific phones. I would also appreciate the fact that no noise was leaking from your phones that would disturb your fellow travellers. Let's not let someone who states that he can be found "usually taking a dump" set the standard for good taste. No one should be discouraged from using full size phones on the street and on buses out of some misguided notion of fashion. Good taste, in music, fashion & headphones is, after all, in the mind of the beholder.
wink.gif
We're oppressed by enough rules, regulations & dress codes as is - we don't need fashion rules for headphones!

Jul 11, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #22 of 34
Boy, am I glad to get far away from Cr@p Style City! (Or is that Street $#!%$ County?)
biggrin.gif

I can't believe how Joe Average could listen to those f##king "stylish, cool-looking" Cr@p $#!+ piles of pure cow dung!
eek.gif
And yet people are buying those headphones for the brand name first, looks second - and sound quality dead last!! Tell them to "get out of Dung County" and at least get them to try the BEST-sounding low-to-mid-priced headphones that they feel comfortable with! (Like, if I were Jo Public, I would say "Buy me those cool-looking Sennheiser HD 212 Pro's instead of those slightly less-cool-looking, flimsy, crappy, boomy Sony MDR-V300's! They BOTH cost the same - but the Senns are WAY better!")

Oh, by the way, very cheap open-air headphones - such as those Cr@p $#!+ behind-the-head thingamajigs - almost always sound shrieky.

Enough overzealousness for now.
redface.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 34
Magic --- Sure that sounds like a good test! Go for it...
smily_headphones1.gif

On the whole aesthetic issue, I really feel that _NO_ full size headphone looks cool. The whole issue of 280 vs 700 in terms of style is pretty pointless! Big visible headphones = geek city when you have em on. Deal with it! If you want to impress the folks at the lounge, leave the big honking cans at home... It's like trying to impress the ladies with your slick model train layout or your really macho stamp collection. Doesn't happen. "Cool" earphones to Joe or Jane Q. Public are either invisible or brightly colored Street Style lameness. The 700DJs and the 280s (or the 600s, SR325 what have you) should only be compared in terms of sound. They are all at square one in terms of "style"...
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #24 of 34
I disagree that good sound quality = ugly looks. I guess it's a fact that many of the existing quality cans have pretty lousy shells. But we consumers shouldn't just live with it - not to mention defend the ugliness. It's the companies' fault that they don't spend money on the products' design. I mean, they've already got great "insides", why not beautifying the outsides? It's like saying it's acceptable for BWM, Mercedez, or any of those great car makers to make fast and safe cars, with totally un-aesthetic looks. There's nothing wrong with looking good and sounding good at the same time. And if it just sounds good then there's definitely room for improvement on the looks, and those companies should! Listen to what we have to say and improve on the quality, regardless if it's inside or outside.

Anyways, just had to say this because I think quality headphones can look good too, and they should. There's no need to discuss those !@#!@# headphone anyway, but good ones should have good looks too. Looks like this problem has more to do with different cans, than with amps or speakers, because they usually look good anyway.

Jul 11, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 34
IMHO the Sennheiser HD4#7 and HD2#2 series of headphones come the closest of all headphone lines thus far to the so-called "good sound = cool looks" ideal. (That doesn't include Etymotics, which are the archetypical "great sound = invisible looks" 'phones.)

Jul 11, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B

Hey a1leyez0nm3--Ignore those elitist snobs--if I saw you on the bus with your HD280, I would have been jealous knowing you could be listening to great music on terrific phones. I would also appreciate the fact that no noise was leaking from your phones that would disturb your fellow travellers. Let's not let someone who states that he can be found "usually taking a dump" set the standard for good taste. No one should be discouraged from using full size phones on the street and on buses out of some misguided notion of fashion. Good taste, in music, fashion & headphones is, after all, in the mind of the beholder.
wink.gif
We're oppressed by enough rules, regulations & dress codes as is - we don't need fashion rules for headphones!

yea, its all just a matter of opinions, and I could make fun of you and fall off my chair laughing at how bad your cans sound for the price they are!!!

Jul 11, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
well, if you just MUST have the streetstyle look, then just get this :

KSC55 Portable
SRP: $19.99
KSC55_lg.jpg

i just picked up some kSc-50s for $15 at circuit city, i just couldnt resist but get some. they will work good for skiing
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #29 of 34
Interestingly, the KSC-50 cost $45 equivalent where I live. And that's cheap - some (mail order) shops are selling it for $56 equivalent!

At typical shop prices, the MX-500 was $28, the G72 would be $60, and the EX70 would also be $60.

(Mind you, we do have 17.5% sales tax)

Jul 11, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Interestingly, the KSC-50 cost $45 equivalent where I live. And that's cheap - some (mail order) shops are selling it for $56 equivalent!

At typical shop prices, the MX-500 was $28, the G72 would be $60, and the EX70 would also be $60.

(Mind you, we do have 17.5% sales tax)

your toilet has a sales tax?
eek.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back