IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,017 of 3,340
I'm way late in my IMR interest (I've been mostly away from the hobby for the last 5 years), so forgive me if I'm treading on old ground, but: what's IMR market intent? Is it their/his plan to do only limited runs of products, and then move on to the next idea?

I'm simply trying to gauge how someone like me should attempt to buy into this particular artisan. I keep reading amazing anecdotes about previously released, and apparently no longer for sale, products. It's like "hey, that mini-review sounds like these are right up my alley...maybe I'll blind buy these. <checks IMR website...nope, can't buy them>"
More or less you have it pegged - low volume boutique maker. Some products (Red and Aten) seem to have a few more as they even show up on Drop, but for the most part the old adage of “you snooze, you lose” applies...

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #3,018 of 3,340
I'm way late in my IMR interest (I've been mostly away from the hobby for the last 5 years), so forgive me if I'm treading on old ground, but: what's IMR market intent? Is it their/his plan to do only limited runs of products, and then move on to the next idea?

I'm simply trying to gauge how someone like me should attempt to buy into this particular artisan. I keep reading amazing anecdotes about previously released, and apparently no longer for sale, products. It's like "hey, that mini-review sounds like these are right up my alley...maybe I'll blind buy these. <checks IMR website...nope, can't buy them>"

I'm not sure on Bob's plan and others here will have a better idea.

But you have 2 options I think.

Get an Aten (or Red which is a bit cheaper) from the IMR site and then get on the next batch with the discount code you'll get from buying the Aten. The Aten will give a good sense of the IMR sound but has been bettered with later models. I still love it for its raw basshead qualities & still think it pounds mkre than later models.

Or buy a used Rah. Or a PB1 or Halcyon if they ever come up for sale. These models are an improvement over the Aten but are only available 2nd hand now.

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #3,019 of 3,340
How do they compare to other pairs you have for this?
Some metal albums I can only listen to with speakers usually sounded about the best I've heard them.

I absolutely love the Rah with metal, easily better than my other IEMs, including those with 6-8 BAs ChiFis. I've primarily stuck to black bottoms/blue tops for the filters for both the Rah and Red, so when I fully burn in the PB1, I can do a proper comparison with the Rah. Black on black is too much for me, I just needed to tone down the base slightly. Ever since I received the Rah (and Red), I haven't gone back to any of my non-IMR IEMs.

The bands I listen to mainly are the likes of Tool, Fear Factory, Metallica, Judas Priest, Pantera, etc..

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #3,020 of 3,340
IMR’s forward but detailed tuning is just perfect for metal. Drums detail and tonality are amazing both when bass is needed (pedals etc) and where piezo treble shines (cymbals), toms sound huge. The mids crunch and there is energy and presence all round.
I took out the original R1 the other day, and my oh my did they seem splashy up top and boomy down low compared to the Aten, but brimming with such power.
Someone try out Carach Angren’s “Franckensteina Strataemontanus“ on the Rah or Halcyon (Tidal link, Spotify link) (yes that is the song name, not a sneeze)

Will you allow me to lol at you then with you......LOL
Lol allowed :smile:
I must thank you for making me realize the error of my ways, and also Amazon JP should send you a thank you voucher because I’ve already started filling my cart with Final iems and Azla tips and I blame you

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #3,021 of 3,340
Lol allowed :smile:
I must thank you for making me realize the error of my ways, and also Amazon JP should send you a thank you voucher because I’ve already started filling my cart with Final iems and Azla tips and I blame you

Well....you are most very welcome but let’s hold our horses a moment. Many people for some reason are unable to create an Amazon Japan account, I have no idea why but I know I had no issues back in January. I wish you good luck in your endeavour into the future world of technology One is embarking on.

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #3,023 of 3,340
What you listening to?

They run the gamut, Tool, Fear Factory, Metallica, Judas Priest, Pantera, Gojira, Dragonforce, Ghost BC, Anthrax, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Arch Enemy, Godsmack, Danzig, RATM, etc..

I did something different that I normally don't do with headphones, which is I watched Hamilton last night on Disney+ with the PB1 as I am did frequent the theatre/opera/classical prior to COVID-19, and it was spectacular.

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,025 of 3,340
Just learned about IMR, and glad to see fellow metalheads in the thread 🤟

I might be up for a sidegrade from FLC 8s to another IEM well suited for metal at the gym, and listening on the motorcycle - so excellent passive noise isolation required. Which IMRs would you guys recommend? I listen mostly to death metal (Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Gojira), progressive (Allegaeon, Animals As Leaders, Wheel, Leprous) and hard rock (everything from Greta van Fleet to Fozzy to Halestorm).

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,026 of 3,340
Just learned about IMR, and glad to see fellow metalheads in the thread 🤟

I might be up for a sidegrade from FLC 8s to another IEM well suited for metal at the gym, and listening on the motorcycle - so excellent passive noise isolation required. Which IMRs would you guys recommend? I listen mostly to death metal (Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Gojira), progressive (Allegaeon, Animals As Leaders, Wheel, Leprous) and hard rock (everything from Greta van Fleet to Fozzy to Halestorm).

I can’t really comment on which IMR are suited to metal but as for isolation, this is not a strong point of IMR as most are open back but, the EDP and Halcyon May be available shortly but very limited units left. Both are the most isolating IMR models.

The EDP are the smallest of the 2 as the halcyon are huge.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #3,027 of 3,340
I can’t really comment on which IMR are suited to metal but as for isolation, this is not a strong point of IMR as most are open back but, the EDP and Halcyon May be available shortly but very limited units left. Both are the most isolating IMR models.

The EDP are the smallest of the 2 as the halcyon are huge.

Don't forget the Reds, those are closed back and I used them primarily for commuting on public transport.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #3,028 of 3,340
Don't forget the Reds, those are closed back and I used them primarily for commuting on public transport.

Oh yes I totally had indeed forgotten about those due to the 3 all new models these past couple of weeks my mind has been totally focused on those.

The reds are probably perfect for the requirements.

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #3,029 of 3,340
Hi all

I'm late to the party but I wonder if someone could tell me how much Bob ended up selling the RAH for, including any discount (I remember an email saying he wasn't offering one though).

I had the R1, then the R1Z and wondered how much the value diminishes in used market for RAH.

Cheers

John

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #3,030 of 3,340
Very nice sound ..IMR PB One with Lotoo Paw S1,as a stationary Amp/dac without worrying about the battery.

DC09ED71-CE4C-4904-8420-B517DEDBAABB.jpeg
Here ,connected to my Imac..

B792C841-57CF-4C4D-BDBC-8B77C37F4CDC.jpeg

Best Regards

Sisco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back