IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
May 6, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #2,506 of 3,340
It’s also a hybrid using the Aten set up as its base unit which is easy to drive. Have you given the Rah a lot of power at all. It responds phenomenally well to a literal boat load just as in the same way a planar only does.
Whilst I have no experience of a IEM only planar, I fully subscribe to from experience that planar headphones require a speaker amplifier to be powered properly where they come alive.
Nah, the RAH shines without that much power - my DC-01 does an amazing job and I doubt any amp could any or much better!

May 6, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #2,507 of 3,340
Some of the IEMs that he trashed are highly regarded and very well reviewed elsewhere so it definitely is a matter of personal opinion, however I feel like if he doesn’t personally like the sound of an iem he will trash it just because it’s not to his taste despite it being a perfectly capable and in some cases highly regarded in the community.
My point is for a reviewer and critic he is very bias towards his own sound preference and I don’t think he gives all the products he reviews a fair representation at all.
What part of it was trashing?

Why should the popular opinion of a product be regarded as a positive in a review?

May 6, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #2,509 of 3,340
What part of it was trashing?

Why should the popular opinion of a product be regarded as a positive in a review?

Writing only strong negatives about a product that is clearly highly regarded in the community without a single glimmer of positivity despite there being plenty of positives to pick from is trashing in my opinion, of course it is just my opinion

That’s not what I’m trying to say, all I’m saying is that I don’t agree with the way he represents some of the products he reviews as they are clearly better than he would have you believe.
Remember this is just my opinion.

May 6, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #2,513 of 3,340
Base on my setup, my music preferences and to my ears as why I don’t think RAH is muddy.
I do own the R1 and Zenith aligning with Crin impression especially on the Zenith. Both didn’t tick the sonic attributes I crave for.

When I heard about RAH, I did some emails with Bob on the tuning and convinced myself that RAH could be the next IEM to continue enjoying my personnel audio journey.

Matter of fact, am really happy having it in my procession coz it delivers how I would like my music to be delivered with the soul that some of my BA CIEM failed. Bass lines were so textured and audible whenever I play my Wishbone Ash, Grand Funk, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Gary Moore, etc.. Addictive without fatigue- once in the ears hard to remove kind of addiction. And those mighty hefty bass, squeezed out by my Wagnus amp setup, neither mess with the mid range nor crucify the treble. All in all the audio frequency range work harmoniously and coherently delivering that expansive powerful soundstage. Topping it up, doing without any crossover to me is crazy stuff.

Btw, I own the Vision Ears VE6x2 mode known for its clarity and huge soundstage as well, and been using it for years. But do pardon me if my descriptive words are a load of BS.

When RAH was fully run in (200hrs) I did comparison and find RAH not to be muddy at all. Signature wise almost similar except RAH gives me that extra bottom that I wishing for on VE6x2. Loves DD bass after I got a taste of texturing physical impact 4 years back during my holidays in Japan.

Back then I believe VE6x2 was one of the most expensive CIEM in the market. My other CIEM either congested or just cannot make it. Being a humble guy, am a big fan of VE during those days and would have bought the Elysium if bass compartment was DD instead of BA. Loves Erlkonig but was way too expensive.

To my ears after listening to DD, bass on BA seems to be a little plasticky at times, especially the kick drum. If you have BA IEM and own the RAH, give a try The Dio Years ( Lady Evil & Heaven and Hell) Pink Floyd The Wall (Hey You) and you could understand where I am trying to convey. Ignore if you find not coz my aging ears is already 62 years old.

Listening mostly at home using black/blue filter with large wide bore comply foam.
DPx1—crystal ref cable—-wagnus valve pre amp—diy copper/silver—-wagnus amp—- ALO Gold 16——-RAH or VE6x2.

We’re born to live, eat and hear differently. If you happen to hear how I heard RAH we could be on the same ‘audio’ wavelength.

My apology for the Long paragraph after these years, and erase it if you find my input to be irrelevant or off track.

Enjoy and Cheers,
jT. SG.

May 6, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #2,514 of 3,340
For those who find the bass on the Rah too much (I know, heresy!), or bleeding too much into the mids, try the grey nozzle. You still get a good thump (though not to the same extent as black, blue, or red), and to my ears not nearly as much bleed into the mids. The overall sound is still overall warm, but the mids are clearer. Anyway, just a suggestion.

May 6, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,515 of 3,340
For those who find the bass on the Rah too much (I know, heresy!), or bleeding too much into the mids, try the grey nozzle. You still get a good thump (though not to the same extent as black, blue, or red), and to my ears not nearly as much bleed into the mids. The overall sound is still overall warm, but the mids are clearer. Anyway, just a suggestion.

That was my preferred sweet spot with the black filter. A powerful neutral sound without the upper midrange peaking slightly.

May 6, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2,516 of 3,340
That was my preferred sweet spot with the black filter. A powerful neutral sound without the upper midrange peaking slightly.
I am using the blue filter in combination with the grey nozzle, but I will have to give the black filter a go as well!

May 6, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #2,517 of 3,340
I am using the blue filter in combination with the grey nozzle, but I will have to give the black filter a go as well!

It’s a subtle change but to my ears it just took off a very slight edge I was sensitive to otherwise blue was a great one too.

Infact thinking about it, the black filter was because of the grey nozzle. If I used a nozzle with more bass then I would use the blue filter, then for maximum V shape black nozzle with a mesh removed.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,518 of 3,340
I don’t understand how crinacle can give such a negative review of both the aten and rah, all other reviews I’ve read on both are extremely positive to the point where they are preferred over very expensive TOTL IEMs, it’s almost like he doesn’t want to like them
Some of the IEMs that he trashed are highly regarded and very well reviewed elsewhere so it definitely is a matter of personal opinion, however I feel like if he doesn’t personally like the sound of an iem he will trash it just because it’s not to his taste despite it being a perfectly capable and in some cases highly regarded in the community.
My point is for a reviewer and critic he is very bias towards his own sound preference and I don’t think he gives all the products he reviews a fair representation at all.

You know what they say, shills are a dime a dozen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back