IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #2,176 of 3,340
Since treble is the sound range most effected by physical stuff. Even from other sounds.

I wonder how the piezo ceramic driver and the EST will be able to play at the same time without noise canceling each other?

Or more like distorting each other since they aren't exact invert mirrors of each other, but the same signal played twice over.

Still there should be some unexpected interaction right?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #2,177 of 3,340
Since treble is the sound range most effected by physical stuff. Even from other sounds.

I wonder how the piezo ceramic driver and the EST will be able to play at fhe same time without noise canceling each other?
That is exactly what i thought.
This just hints that estats will take care of mids.
I just dont see the point having DD cover full range and piezo covering treble. Aten has this set up.
implementation of DUAL estats must be enough to cover mids.
Specially when they are being tuned to have more forward mid range

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #2,178 of 3,340
That is exactly what i thought.
This just hints that estats will take care of mids.
I just dont see the point having DD cover full range and piezo covering treble. Aten has this set up.
implementation of DUAL estats must be enough to cover mids.
Specially when they are being tuned to have more forward mid range
but are est´s "able" to cover lower mids ?

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #2,180 of 3,340
Absolutely no idea. But there must be a reason why he uses dual estats.
Shure uses single estat for the whole FR so it must be doable.
Yeah but the shures need and extra external amp for them. Look at something like wraith, it has 4 est's for treble or Trinity and Roland also more than one. But the piezo makes no sense with est just for treble on board.... Maybe we just need to get more info from bob :D

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #2,181 of 3,340
Yeah but the shures need and extra external amp for them. Look at something like wraith, it has 4 est's for treble or Trinity and Roland also more than one. But the piezo makes no sense with est just for treble on board.... Maybe we just need to get more info from bob :D
Yeh agreed i did pick the wrong comparison.
Honestly was just speculating.
Good point about lower mids. Might be either DD or Estats really.

When are Halcyon being shipped?

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #2,182 of 3,340
I envisage the estats will compliment the ceramic driver in very much the same way the planar compliments the DD.

DD is the main underpinning bass with the planar adding the details to the bass.

So then the ceramic will be the main underpinning and the estats will add the details.

They shouldn’t cancel each other out unless they play out of phase.

@3khz is the very upper midrange into lower treble region.

All drivers are playing “full range” to their natural roll off points due to no crossover. So with no crossover it’s also not as though one estat is treble and another is super treble and they should be playing the same frequency unless one is acoustically tuned to be able to play slightly lower into the mids and the other is either a standard implementation or if it can be acoustically tuned to play higher.

Literally winging it with my guesses

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #2,184 of 3,340
Thinking about it further.

The ceramic will be more mids to treble and that has also a big roll off when viewed on the graph so the estats will be for the treble and mid upper mid details and two of them to keep up with the huge bass.

Aten graph D8C3C627-F6EC-4AEB-9584-5D16CFCEB351.jpeg

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #2,189 of 3,340
The new Final Audio B-series hybrids also have then in series with no crossover.

The setup system seems to be gaining popularity.

But I imagine things need to be made simpler with less complications/drivers added to avoid problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back