IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #3,106 of 3,340
Yes it still changed but the meh was not as meh as previous models.
I enjoyed a listening partner lol, Snoflingor has made its way onto one of the tracks I use to test now.

I have been listening to the EDP for a while and earlier this evening I switched to PB One and just wow, as good as the EDP is which is like a baby Rah crossed with a Zenith the PB One as expected blows it out of the water.

I’ve never had any concerns about driver flex.

I can’t recall wondering about a pair? What did I say?

The dude on bass guitar is Mr PMJ, in every video he is always playing the piano except for this one. Random fact of the day.

Yeah that was a good week especially after missing the Rah so much.

The modern jukebox stuff sounds very good on the Halcyon so I think will be great on the Semper.

I need to try the no o-ring thing is it to get deeper insertion?

It's an o-ring, purely for asthetics. Covers up the highlighted gap

Aten with o-ring, Rah without
1595804563342.png

For those of us that don't have nimble fingers, I use a rubber band, as a makeshift strap wrench

Many thanks. I haven't noticed the gap before. The strap thing works but Nellies idea to put the holder in sideways works well too.

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #3,107 of 3,340
I also feel I must praise the black finish on these for being incredibly black.
Yeah that was a good week especially after missing the Rah so much.

The modern jukebox stuff sounds very good on the Halcyon so I think will be great on the Semper.

I need to try the no o-ring thing is it to get deeper insertion?

Many thanks. I haven't noticed the gap before. The strap thing works but Nellies idea to put the holder in sideways works well too.

Well the actual depth of insertion is the same but, removing the nozzle o ring will pull the cable connector closer to my ideal place rather than sticking out, cutting down the tip stem does the rest in moving the cable closer which also requires removing the filter o ring as potentially the metal will protrude past the tip. Cutting the stem tips can very easily make it not secure and I am at the maximum I can cut off to get the whole IEM and cable sat where I need them. This was all originally started from the Rah and separating the metal pieces which evolved into the former.

Sideways placement makes total sense and when I returned my Rah to bob I sent them back like that to see if he would pick up on it and start sending them out this way, I also put them into the metal holder matching colours opposite each other rather than side to side and in order of most bass to least and most treble to least. Admittedly it does not present as nice for people to go oh wow nice when they open it for the first time but it makes sense to me. Slightly OCD about the small things.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #3,109 of 3,340
Hi everybody. Finally I received my IMR R3 Halcyon too. The first impression, they sound a little muddy and boomy compared to my current IMR RAH or ex Atens. Hope the sound will improve over time.
Filters: Grey bottom and black filter.
Source and music: Astell Kern Ultima m gold, Tidal masters 24/192 and flac 16/44.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #3,110 of 3,340
Hi everybody. Finally I received my IMR R3 Halcyon too. The first impression, they sound a little muddy and boomy compared to my current IMR RAH or ex Atens. Hope the sound will improve over time.
Source and music: Astell Kern Ultima m gold, Tidal masters 24/192 and flac 16/44.
I’ve had the same impression. Getting the bottom filter down to purple helps I find; anything over that, even just the red filters sometimes, muddies the sound with overwhelming bass - not bleeding so much as just an overbearing presence. It’s a tuning thing, not a technical defect.

These do play better with cleanly produced/recorded music. The mids are the most interesting part of the range, they can be wonderful, like not much other gear I’ve heard can manage.

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #3,111 of 3,340
Source is: on My Note 4 --> Spotify "High Quality" 320 kbps --> Radsone ES100

The person that I borrowed the Rahs from estimates 500-600 hrs.

My Atens did the same. Started out really well, got thin around 50 -75 hrs, back to form after 200 hrs.

When I say that I'm sensitive to the 2 Khz range and above, I'm understating the situation. Without EQ cuts, I can feel an uneasy buildup of pressure, which leads to a faint buzzing first in my left ear, then the right. So because of my EQ cuts, I'm handicapping the dampers.

In reviewing my post, I did notice that after saying I couldn't distinguish between the Black & Gold dampers, I favored (for now) the Blacks

Red Nozzle, Black damper
IMR Rah RedBlack.jpg

With that silicone band on that you have used, are you not losing the tuning benefit of the different nozzles because that is where the hole is located. So essentially any nozzle you use with that silicone turns them back into a black nozzle?

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #3,112 of 3,340
With that silicone band on that you have used, are you not losing the tuning benefit of the different nozzles because that is where the hole is located. So essentially any nozzle you use with that silicone turns them back into a black nozzle?
Probably yes. Thanks for pointing that out.

I missed the bit, on the pinholes, when I did my research. The mark of a freshman to a new product line.

On the rubber band, quasi strap wrench:
I was offering this as a way to remove the individual nozzles/dampers from either the shell or the metal block that holds the unused pieces. After running through so many variants of nozzles/dampers yesterday, my fingers became fatigued.
IMR strap wrench.jpg

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #3,113 of 3,340

Switch to the purple lower filter and give them at least 50 hours of burn-in.

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #3,114 of 3,340
Just collected my PB1 from the mail box.
Again initial impression is good out of the box. On default all black, black beauty seems to having more treble energy nicely done and much more balance sound than Rah.
Raw physical power using my usual first test track by Paul Weller Walk on Gilded Splinters...wow.
Burn in begins and let’s see how it goes after 20hrs.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #3,117 of 3,340
@lgcubana you may have seen this already
Thanks, yes I’ve seen Crinacle’s graphs. It was his biased review that initially made me question my purchase of the R2 Aten
I’ve been using Crinacle’s graphs for reference too, but ultimately they are as empty as his train wreck of a review. They paint a misleading picture of what the filters and nozzles are - as do IMR’s own graphs. It was better in R1 times, when there was a proper description of the effect on sound, with notions like “attack”, “lush”, “airy” etc. They are not like digital EQ, rather they are properly engineered physical acoustic modifiers.

I don't envy the audio engineers who pour their heart out into research and tuning, and are ultimately defeated by a self-appointed committee of earplugged nerds with a ruler sticking out of the pants’ butt pocket.

Anyone else fancy trying combos they like the colours of or is that just me? Silver and green looks great.
My great fear is that I end up with a mismatched combo. Red and purple? Ghastly! Quick quick, conceal that with an opaque tip! :rainbow: 😅

Also that rubber band to help grip the filters is nice. I use the stem of the tips themselves to do the same, otherwise it’s a blister blast! But I ruined a pair of Complys already.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #3,118 of 3,340
Sad times. I managed to drop a filter and attached eartip taking out a pb one earpiece when putting on a facemask going into a supermarket today. When I realised and went searching for it, someone had stepped on it and mangled the filter. RIP gold filer. 😔

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #3,119 of 3,340
Probably yes. Thanks for pointing that out.

I missed the bit, on the pinholes, when I did my research. The mark of a freshman to a new product line.

On the rubber band, quasi strap wrench:
I was offering this as a way to remove the individual nozzles/dampers from either the shell or the metal block that holds the unused pieces. After running through so many variants of nozzles/dampers yesterday, my fingers became fatigued.
IMR strap wrench.jpg

I did similar with a thick rubber band and pair of small pliers. Can be very tricky to change filters!

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #3,120 of 3,340
I’ve had the same impression. Getting the bottom filter down to purple helps I find; anything over that, even just the red filters sometimes, muddies the sound with overwhelming bass - not bleeding so much as just an overbearing presence. It’s a tuning thing, not a technical defect.

These do play better with cleanly produced/recorded music. The mids are the most interesting part of the range, they can be wonderful, like not much other gear I’ve heard can manage.

Agreed. The mids can be absolutely sublime with some songs with PB One/fiio m15.

Filter-wise, for the lower filters where do the grey and white sit? Black/grey/light grey seem to be without screen, just with no bass hole/tiny hole/slightly bigger hole. Are they between black and gold for amount of bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back