IMR R2 Aten Thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,051 of 1,305
Quick shoutout to Bob from IMR for incredible customer service - after my pair of ISN H40s failed I got tempted to pick up something else local to me so I settled for some R2 REDs. The right one was DoA, but a quick email to Bob was all it took and he sent a replacement asking me NOT to send anything back. I honestly haven't had customer service that good in a while!

So far running black nozzels with blue tips and really enjoying the sound signature, but I really struggle with fitment - been through all the tips I have and they're super fussy.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #1,053 of 1,305
The Atens are my 1st endeavor with IMR. But it's clear that the IMR brand personifies boutique. Between limited releases and the burn in process, I'm reminded of my trials with refueling a S.T. Dupont lighter.

I'm only about 30 hr.s into the break in period and the Atens have gone from an initial, favorable playback (wide sound stage and definition), to being shouty and sibilant, to a congested mid bass, with distant vocals. I think I'm just going to walk away for a few days.

(TENNMAK Ultra Strong Earphone Memory Foam Eartips)
IMR R2 Aten.jpg

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,054 of 1,305
I had a shock using the Aten on my desktop gear watching a movie with a very elaborate soundtrack : Spider - by Cronenberg (2002).

The openness of the R2 plus their subwoofer skills give fantastic results with films.

I usually favor pure copper with most of my inears, so I treated the Aten with a Dunu Hulk. Great pairing. That said, the stock cables are good enough for those who don't want to spend.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,055 of 1,305
I received my Reds about a week ago, and I'm loving them so far. I've been doing a combination of left alone burn in and in the ears burn in (mostly because I'm impatient). I haven't started testing filters, but I'm already very impressed. Huge soundstage, great detail and layering, and amazing coherence. They're also very comfortable. Oh yeah, and the bass will just about blow your head off, without cheating any other range.

I was going back and forth between the Atens and these, it came down to a combination of concern about isolation and the fact that Drop had these back first. Thanks for an amazing experience, Bob. I look forward to some of the new projects.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #1,056 of 1,305
^^ I was eying the Reds too....and your description of their sound attributes is making me kick myself for dragging my feet. I've been away from the game too long and need to learn a lot fast, especially when it comes to IMR.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,058 of 1,305
I had a shock using the Aten on my desktop gear watching a movie with a very elaborate soundtrack : Spider - by Cronenberg (2002).

The openness of the R2 plus their subwoofer skills give fantastic results with films.

I usually favor pure copper with most of my inears, so I treated the Aten with a Dunu Hulk. Great pairing. That said, the stock cables are good enough for those who don't want to spend.

The Hulk is a perfect match for IMR's.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,059 of 1,305
^^ I was eying the Reds too....and your description of their sound attributes is making me kick myself for dragging my feet. I've been away from the game too long and need to learn a lot fast, especially when it comes to IMR.
Hurry. I think there's one Red Left. And if you buy directly from Bob, youll get a nice bonus toward future orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back