IMR R2 Aten Thread
Jun 29, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #1,021 of 1,305
Thinking about the R2 Atens, via Drop

Of late, I've been searching out U shaped IEMs with a rich low end (read that to mean a strong, fast, sub bass presence, when called upon), with neutral leaning mids and an 8/10 when it comes to detail (AKA not overly bright). 8/10 because it seems that nowadays a 10/10 detail oriented IEM equates to cold needles, poking my cranium.

I've read most of this thread and it would appear that purchasers are mostly happy with the R2 Atens.

Putting aside a debatable business relationship with Trinity Audio, have any holders of the Atens second guessed the purchase ?

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,022 of 1,305

Of late, I've been searching out U shaped IEMs with a rich low end (read that to mean a strong, fast, sub bass presence, when called upon), with neutral leaning mids and an 8/10 when it comes to detail (AKA not overly bright). 8/10 because it seems that nowadays a 10/10 detail oriented IEM equates to cold needles, poking my cranium.

I've read most of this thread and it would appear that purchasers are mostly happy with the R2 Atens.

Putting aside a debatable business relationship with Trinity Audio, have any holders of the Atens second guessed the purchase ?
I for one can only recommend imr, quality/ price relationship it’s a ball out of the park always, the aten are a wonder with their sub bass and soundstage, You should check if there are any on imr website, no matter if you buy em from drop, imr customer service is top notch, I for one have talked to bob Many times, dude is as chill as it can get and really responsive about his products

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #1,023 of 1,305

Your description sounds like I would describe the RAH's. Maybe a bit less U shaped than you would prefer, since they have present mids and are more punchy than other IMR's. They surely have the most pleasant and yet detailed highs I have heard. Although in that regard opinions differ strongly.

The Atens are definitely U shaped, but can be a bit bright up top. Also I would not quite call them an 8 in terms of details. They are detailed, but more in the Makro spectrum, if you know what I mean.

And yea, I am super happy with them. No Idea where you could get sub-bass like that for your money.
The only IMR purchase I have sometimes regretted were The Zeniths. But only after listening to all the models side by side.

Sadly DHL managed to lose a package with both my Zeniths and RAH's inside, which was supposed to go to Bob for repair... Hope it will return to me some day, but it seems like it's gone for good.

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,024 of 1,305
Your description sounds like I would describe the RAH's. Maybe a bit less U shaped than you would prefer, since they have present mids and are more punchy than other IMR's. They surely have the most pleasant and yet detailed highs I have heard. Although in that regard opinions differ strongly.

The Atens are definitely U shaped, but can be a bit bright up top. Also I would not quite call them an 8 in terms of details. They are detailed, but more in the Makro spectrum, if you know what I mean.

And yea, I am super happy with them. No Idea where you could get sub-bass like that for your money.
The only IMR purchase I have sometimes regretted were The Zeniths. But only after listening to all the models side by side.

Sadly DHL managed to lose a package with both my Zeniths and RAH's inside, which was supposed to go to Bob for repair... Hope it will return to me some day, but it seems like it's gone for good.

What issue did you have with your Zenith's if I might ask?

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,025 of 1,305
I daily use my Atens and Zenith. The Zenith are more bright, forwards and detailed than the Aten. The Aten have a more powerful bass response and are still detailed enough. I’d say they lean slightly more W shaped with the centre of the W reduced in half. I used to use black bass nozzle which is maximum bass with black or blue treble filters which are maximum treble. I have now after a good thousand or 2 hours changed to black bass maximum and green treble which is second to least.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,026 of 1,305
Confirm, I agree with this assessment :thumbsup:
Zenith R1’s!.JPG

Aten Hut!.JPG

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,027 of 1,305
What issue did you have with your Zenith's if I might ask?
Funny enough, the package just got returned a couple minutes ago after almost 2 months. I should have complained earlier on head-fi:ksc75smile:

On my Zeniths the left one turned completely silent. After about half a year of not using them... before they worked perfectly, besides some driver flex on the right side. So not sure how this happened. Maybe I left the case In the sun for too long or something, who knows.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,028 of 1,305
Funny enough, the package just got returned a couple minutes ago after almost 2 months. I should have complained earlier on head-fi:ksc75smile:

On my Zeniths the left one turned completely silent. After about half a year of not using them... before they worked perfectly, besides some driver flex on the right side. So not sure how this happened. Maybe I left the case In the sun for too long or something, who knows.

Returned from Bob or returned never making it's destination? I've had zero issues with any of my IMR products not caused by me, early on and with my mongo fingers I managed to strip out the threads on one side of my Zenith's but other than that booboo nary an issue (now you got me knockin' on my desk)!!

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #1,029 of 1,305
Returned from Bob or returned never making it's destination? I've had zero issues with any of my IMR products not caused by me, early on and with my mongo fingers I managed to strip out the threads on one side of my Zenith's but other than that booboo nary an issue (now you got me knockin' on my desk)!!
It never arrived at IMR, apparently they were unable to deliver it because of 'Corona' (Yes, that was their reasoning...) and ignored all attempts of communication from mine and Bobs side.
So sadly both are still broken. Now i am really thinking about waiting until the situation has improved in the UK and then try again.

Oh, I have had the same experience up until half a year ago. My original R1's are still playing like on day 1.
But to be honest, this is the second time my RAH needs repair. And in such a short period of time. And so far I have heard of no one else with a similar issue. Maybe something is wrong with my ears lol.

Despite that, I am quite happy with the Aten as my daily driver at the moment, although the RAH is clearly on another level.
And i am so excited to receive the EDP. Seems to be extremely interesting for its price, judging by some early impressions on its thread here.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #1,030 of 1,305
It never arrived at IMR, apparently they were unable to deliver it because of 'Corona' (Yes, that was their reasoning...)

They could have had the decency to at least call it properly and say “We refuse to deliver due to the Rona”

So sadly both are still broken. Now i am really thinking about waiting until the situation has improved in the UK and then try again.

I had sent in and received my Zenith repaired (which was all my doing and not a fault) during the Rona no issues. Turned around in like 1 week.

But to be honest, this is the second time my RAH needs repair. And in such a short period of time. And so far I have heard of no one else with a similar issue. Maybe something is wrong with my ears lol.

My Rah has a problem too, one side lost half its sound but I do not know what the actual issue was and I returned and ordered the PB One instead as the Rah broke just before release of PB One.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,031 of 1,305
They could have had the decency to at least call it properly and say “We refuse to deliver due to the Rona”
Or at least reply to one of my mails... Although the last one was not very nice anymore, i admit that much.

I had sent in and received my Zenith repaired (which was all my doing and not a fault) during the Rona no issues. Turned around in like 1 week.
So I was just unlucky. Thought about using another service, but judging by some impressions DHL seems to still be the best option.

My Rah has a problem too, one side lost half its sound but I do not know what the actual issue was and I returned and ordered the PB One instead as the Rah broke just before release of PB One.
Seems to be the same Issues. So at least my ears are not at fault, very relieving!
Well, if i knew that was an option I would have done the same. But I did not feel the need to get the PB One, the RAH is already too damn good.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,032 of 1,305
I used Royal Mail for the Zenith return. At least you have options again where there were none for a couple of months.

Seems to be the same Issues. So at least my ears are not at fault, very relieving!
Well, if i knew that was an option I would have done the same. But I did not feel the need to get the PB One, the RAH is already too damn good.

Well my Rah were just under 30 day s old and likewise I only require one of the Rah or PB One so I went with the black ones.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,034 of 1,305
True, the black does certainly look nice. I'm looking forward to the PB Two, which could be a black Halcyon which i missed out on. Are there any impressions about Halcyon yet?

That’s my thinking too initially but it seems too obvious to actually come to fruition. I also don’t believe we shall ever see the Semper either and if we do it will be a PB style build.

I haven’t come across any other deliveries except for Jon Parker’s delivery.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,035 of 1,305

I don’t regret my purchase one bit. I’ve compared them to much more expensive iems and came away liking them better, often much better - bass response is incredible and the technical level is excellent overall, although they are not detail monsters (still very detailed though!). I still haven't even changed the filters, which means I’m leaving stuff on table as the R1 with blue filter beat the Zenith across the board as far as I’m concerned.

Indeed my only reservation would be the existence of the Rah, which as @Xintaur writes would also work with your priorities while beating the Aten on truthfulness of timbre. But the Aten bass remains stronger, and I personally had to send the Rah back because of how much it leaked, so if that’s a concern the Aten is a better choice in spite of open-back construction (it still does leak quite a bit too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back