IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 3, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #197 of 1,305
Well I can't be bothered to go to deep into it today as I'm a little busy with the kids but needless to say for me these are at least a few steps ahead of the Zs in every aspect. I can't listen to the Zs anymore. Even my over ears, and I have a nice collection sound recessed and muffled to me now.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #198 of 1,305
Well I can't be bothered to go to deep into it today as I'm a little busy with the kids but needless to say for me these are at least a few steps ahead of the Zs in every aspect. I can't listen to the Zs anymore. Even my over ears, and I have a nice collection sound recessed and muffled to me now.

What about vocals? I really don't like zenits vocals. Is it better now?

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #200 of 1,305
First impressions with stock tips- EGAD THERE IS A LOT OF BASS. LIstening to Buble's NBC special on MQA, and his voice is there, solid, but dulled a touch compared to the best I've heard on these tracks (Fearless S8 Pro). Missing that air and space.

Sounds like it's time to roll some filters!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #201 of 1,305
First impressions with stock tips- EGAD THERE IS A LOT OF BASS. LIstening to Buble's NBC special on MQA, and his voice is there, solid, but dulled a touch compared to the best I've heard on these tracks (Fearless S8 Pro). Missing that air and space.

Sounds like it's time to roll some filters!
and give em some burn in time? i wasnt a fan of the term until i got the lz a6, at the beggining the highs were uncontrolled and untamable, now they are some of the most smooth and refined iems i own for highs and mid highs

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #202 of 1,305
and give em some burn in time? i wasnt a fan of the term until i got the lz a6, at the beggining the highs were uncontrolled and untamable, now they are some of the most smooth and refined iems i own for highs and mid highs
Oh I'll deffo do that later. For now, I want to get an impression of what they do :)

Build quality is very nice- dig the keyed cables, though I wish the keys were industry standard. Still, it shouldn't be any problem to replace them if need be. The case and overall package are next-level. Great stuff. Colors, anodizing are all top notch

I've settled on red bass and red treble for now. It seems to work best with both American Songbook stuff and orchestral, which comprise ~75% of my "fun" listening. A little thick around the midbass and lower mids yet, but cleaner and more consistent across the spectrum than other combos I've tried. I look forward to FRs on the bass filters from Bob- maybe I can figure how to move that midbass hump down a bit , maybe keep the fun punch of the red without losing the cleaner presentation of the purples.

The golds are nice and warm, very analog feeling and different than the others, both bass and treble.

5-6khz feels a little recessed no matter what. Kind of a strange feeling there, maybe a burn-in thing for that piezo, or maybe I should keep trying different filter combos. :)

A couple little niggles: The aluminum bars are super classy, but the threads bind. I would have preferred a delrin or other plastic bar for the filter retainers, though the alu does look a lot nicer. The seam around the earpieces isn't quite consistent, and does have a very small gap around the cable nozzle area. It's tiny, and I'd not have noticed it if I weren't looking for flaws. The filters tend to bind a bit as well, and I've found myself reaching for mechanical help to get them working...

...at any rate, sooner or later I'll dial them in to where I like them best. There's a lot of good here, and it'll only get better as the unique drivers burn in. Who knows, maybe I'll like them best in 2 or three configurations :)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #203 of 1,305
Oh I'll deffo do that later. For now, I want to get an impression of what they do :)

Build quality is very nice- dig the keyed cables, though I wish the keys were industry standard. Still, it shouldn't be any problem to replace them if need be. The case and overall package are next-level. Great stuff. Colors, anodizing are all top notch

I've settled on purple bass and red treble for now. It seems to work best with both American Songbook stuff and orchestral, which comprise ~75% of my "fun" listening. A little thick around the midbass and lower mids yet, but cleaner and more consistent across the spectrum than other combos I've tried. I look forward to FRs on the bass filters from Bob- maybe I can figure how to move that midbass hump down a bit , maybe regain the fun punch of the red without losing the cleaner presentation of the purples.

5-6khz feels a little recessed no matter what. Kind of a strange feeling there, maybe a burn-in thing for that piezo, or maybe I should keep trying different filter combos :)

A couple little niggles: The aluminum bars are super classy, but the threads bind. I would have preferred a delrin or other plastic bar for the filter retainers, though the alu does look a lot nicer. The seam around the earpieces isn't quite consistent, and does have a very small gap around the cable nozzle area. It's tiny, and I'd not have noticed it if I weren't looking for flaws. The filters tend to bind a bit, as well, and I've found myself reaching for mechanical help to get them working...

...at any rate, sooner or later I'll dial them in to where i like. There's a lot of good here, and it'll only get better as the unique drivers burn in.
Mine have improved over the week for sure. Particularly on soundstage depth and width so far. I find the midrange good for a dynamic driver. They scale well. Playing it on my April Eximus compared to a portable yeilds noticeable gains.

With regards to filters they are a little fiddly so I'd recommend letting the nails grow a bit to handle them

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #204 of 1,305
C
Mine have improved over the week for sure. Particularly on soundstage depth and width so far. I find the midrange good for a dynamic driver. They scale well. Playing it on my April Eximus compared to a portable yeilds noticeable gains.

With regards to filters they are a little fiddly so I'd recommend letting the nails grow a bit to handle them
Can you guys make some comment on the isolation? How much ingress - I spend a lot of time in airplanes.... Just curious if you'd do a little experiment. A little stip of tape over the open port to see how much it restricts the sound or not at all, or if its more of an effect like a closed Zenith

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #206 of 1,305
C

Can you guys make some comment on the isolation? How much ingress - I spend a lot of time in airplanes.... Just curious if you'd do a little experiment. A little stip of tape over the open port to see how much it restricts the sound or not at all, or if its more of an effect like a closed Zenith
Right now at ~2 hours or use, they "feel" like closed back headphones. When I cover them with my fingers, they feel like IEMs

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #207 of 1,305
Yep. Had to dig into the hip hop playlist. Holy fire, the bass is INCREDIBLE, like I strapped a pair of subs to my head and some 6x9s to my face.

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #208 of 1,305
Yep. Had to dig into the hip hop playlist. Holy fire, the bass is INCREDIBLE, like I strapped a pair of subs to my head and some 6x9s to my face.
They are insane for bass. Not sure if you like old reggae but the heavy bass guitar on some of that sounds incredible. My favourite bass texture track is stir it up by the wailers, you can even hear him playing the tight strings at the same time with the Aten. Fantastic.

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #209 of 1,305
They are insane for bass. Not sure if you like old reggae but the heavy bass guitar on some of that sounds incredible. My favourite bass texture track is stir it up by the wailers, you can even hear him playing the tight strings at the same time with the Aten. Fantastic.
You play with different sources yet? Using the Aux power off my G8 and a Chord Mojo does good stuff. They like power for sure.

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #210 of 1,305
You play with different sources yet? Using the Aux power off my G8 and a Chord Mojo does good stuff. They like power for sure.
Yeah I've been using my April Eximus today and they definitely need a bit more juice than the R1z. They seem to scale well too. Certainly more holographic through the desktop rig than my daps.
Have you tried alternative cables yet? To my ears the supplied cables are a touch brighter than my effect audios. Saying that yours are still to new for them to have settled down yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back