• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 28, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #12,631 of 18,130
I'm a little lost. Is it this one?
The wording is different and the shell is black - no logo on the faceplate - white IMR on the edge . . . but probably

'The RAH is a tour de force in-ear monitor incorporating the 2023 IMR ultra wide band ADLC dynamic driver and a Planar magnetic driver to create a hybrid that delivers lush analogue sound with a digital edge.

The ultra wide band high resolution 2023 ADLC driver combined with the Planar gives you all the high performance sound of a high performance dynamic IMR IEM combined with ultra high resolution Planar technology for the ultimate detail retrieval.

The new hybrid arrangement offers ample soundstage, ultimate macro and micro detail retrieval along with precise instrument placement and with a FR from 8-40000Hz.

The RAH includes exquisite single crystal oxygen free copper braided cable's.

Fully customisable via the all new interchangeable acoustics nozzles and dampers to give you a multitude of settings for your perfect sound signature. These acoustic nozzles allow you to alter every aspect of the sound from the treble, midrange and bass. These new filter are exclusive to the Rah and offer an even broader spectrum of tuning options.

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #12,632 of 18,130
Yes I did, I banged an offer in for £240 so on its way. I'm actually quite relieved it doesn't come with a box. I have 18 of them they take up a lot of storage space
Reading this I just realised I collect IMR Pokemon...

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #12,633 of 18,130
Reading this I just realised I collect IMR Pokemon...
Was thinking the other day of an analogy to explain about why we buy IMR - Imagine if someone sourced all the parts of a Top Tier car and offered it for sale to a select few @$10.000

Do I NEED this . . . ?

But do I WANT this . . .!

bug3.jpg

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #12,634 of 18,130
So I've been wandering and roaming thread to thread, bought the Penon Serial.... exceptionally good. Bought the SoundRhyme SR5...quite good....l needed a dose of IMR, so I put my IMR Ace in my ears with the XL. Penon Orange 15mm tips. It's funny when the gold you are seeking is in front of your eyes all the time. Just a pleasure to listen to a 'Bob' creation. What a good IEM the Ace is, it competes across the board. Nice to have IMRs back in my ears.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #12,635 of 18,130
[/QUOTE]
@zikarus , I'd be interested to know which one of the two, Elan+ or Rah 23, you prefer most. What made you purchase both? There is only £100 difference between the two and the Elan+ is better, at least for me. For better context, and if you don't mind, please share the total burn-in time for both and what gear you're using with these two IEMs.

One important question: are you listening to YouTube? Which one sounds better with YouTube? And with Qobuz? Do you have Amazon Music?

Thank you

Well Nick, I am on vacation atm hence the little delay...

What can I say - I bought both because I assumed that they differ enough from each other, using different driver setups. And I was not wrong imo.

@jon parker has just described in a very nice way how he experiences both and I second that as I tried to express in my first impressions posted here some time ago.

Still I have not decided yet if I will keep both or let one of them go. That has mainly to do with my Neon Pro which arrived almost at the same time and blew me away taking most of my listening time to date. That is also the reason why I cannot give exact numbers concerning the burn-in time for the two IMR sets anymore. They both have at least 500 hours now, but I stopped counting the hours somewhen...

All in all I prefer the Elan+ over the Rah 23 right now. It has the much better fit for me and sounds more to my taste, I guess. On the other hand the Elan+ sound signature is quite close to that of the NP which I like even more than the Elan+. Therefore the Rah would be the better companion for my NP which I will definitely keep.

I may decide after I have received my Aure and had the opportunity to compare that one versus the two IMR. At least they all share a DD and who knows, maybe I will keep them all in the end? :)

Finally I am a diehard fan and long time user of Qobuz and use Roon for both, Qobuz and my own, quite large collection of music (flac and Hi-Res only). I never listen to youtube - only use youtube links in the music section of this forum...

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #12,636 of 18,130
l needed a dose of IMR, so I put my IMR Ace in my ears with the XL. Penon Orange 15mm tips.
Can you share a link? I checked Penon for XL tips and came up empty.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #12,637 of 18,130
Can you share a link? I checked Penon for XL tips and came up empty.
Apparently they are still in the production stage. As far as I know they will be shortly available. They are really good and I want to buy a few pairs myself. These are a sample. The larger size definitely promotes the bass....on my Ace right now they seem to add quite a lot of bass resonance.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #12,638 of 18,130
2023 RAH/PB1 - A Couple more quick impressions (30 hours burn in - Black lower/Gold upper - Sony WM1A 4.4 Balanced)

Ive been listening on the DAP but moving over to 02 amp (powerful & neutral) and it reminds how important it is to appreciate that all Planar magnet driver Need or at least Like more power than usual to give you all they can in terms of performance.

With my DAP the 23Rah is powerful, warm, rich, lush and as Bob described with a 'digital edge' or as I hear it - a purity and clarity coming from the planar both cutting through nicely and mixing well with the DD. Mostly apparent in the vocals - similar to Elan+
I can hear both drivers doing their things individually and together as a whole

Using 3.5mm from DAP through 02 Amp - and the clarity and purity of the planar is much clearer and mixed in much more with the DD, meaning Im not hearing the 2 drivers doing their individual things anymore - its a more cohesive sound over all - Smoother, not quite as colourful and dynamic. an over all warmth, rich clarity, a bit calmer
Very interesting hearing the difference.

Its a big bold colourful IEM - similar big dynamics - big sounding instruments and vocals as with the Dark Matter and 2023 BC
I think the quality is a step up from BC 2023 but not to the degree of the Elan+ which in many ways is a whole 'nother level up
The Rah/PB1 though is what I expected and actually wanted and I think is a perfect companion to the Elan+
Its great to rock with, not to take Audiophile TOO seriously and more to enjoy the energy and emotion of music where as the Elan+ is more for those profound Audiophile moments when you hear a mouse fart exactly 3.75 feet behind the drummer in the studio

Because everything is pretty big with the 23Rah its a brilliant IEM for quiet listening without missing any details or impact
Very much looking forward to seeing how it develops when both the ADLC and the Planar each burn in to their respective needs and then how they work together

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #12,639 of 18,130
Apparently they are still in production. As far as I know they will be shortly available. They are really good and I want to buy a few pairs myself. These are a sample. The larger size definitely promotes the bass....on my Ace right now they seem to add quite a lot of bass resonance.
When you get the right tips, and the right fit, then you'll find that the ACE's bass is as good or better than just about anything out there, regardless of price. It really is an astounding thing to hear. The tonal balance, texture, depth, punch, and rumble is just so incredibly clear and present. What shocks me is how the volume can stay steady across the entire bass/sub-bass range without fading or trailing off, even at the lowest notes. There doesn't seem to be any particular frequency that stands out, or appears to be "tuned" like the port on a speaker, for example. It just reproduces everything equally without bloat or variation.

I have noticed that when I change tips, this effect definitely varies and sometimes the rumble goes away completely. But when you find the right tips for your ears, it is magic. Haven't heard another IEM that can match it for bass quantity and quality.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #12,640 of 18,130
When you get the right tips, and the right fit, then you'll find that the ACE's bass is as good or better than just about anything out there, regardless of price. It really is an astounding thing to hear. The tonal balance, texture, depth, punch, and rumble is just so incredibly clear and present. What shocks me is how the volume can stay steady across the entire bass/sub-bass range without fading or trailing off, even at the lowest notes. There doesn't seem to be any particular frequency that stands out, or appears to be "tuned" like the port on a speaker, for example. It just reproduces everything equally without bloat or variation.

I have noticed that when I change tips, this effect definitely varies and sometimes the rumble goes away completely. But when you find the right tips for your ears, it is magic. Haven't heard another IEM that can match it for bass quantity and quality.
Bass quality is outstanding. You are right, with these tips the rumble is there. I haven't listened to them for a while and forgot how good they are. I probably am only just getting towards a level of burn in because the Zenith II turned my head at the time. I need to enjoy some music time with them. I'm going to use them solely for a while and give them some more burn in time.

Edit

Planar drum skins are so realistic.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #12,644 of 18,130
Well Nick, I am on vacation atm hence the little delay...

What can I say - I bought both because I assumed that they differ enough from each other, using different driver setups. And I was not wrong imo.

@jon parker has just described in a very nice way how he experiences both and I second that as I tried to express in my first impressions posted here some time ago.

Still I have not decided yet if I will keep both or let one of them go. That has mainly to do with my Neon Pro which arrived almost at the same time and blew me away taking most of my listening time to date. That is also the reason why I cannot give exact numbers concerning the burn-in time for the two IMR sets anymore. They both have at least 500 hours now, but I stopped counting the hours somewhen...

All in all I prefer the Elan+ over the Rah 23 right now. It has the much better fit for me and sounds more to my taste, I guess. On the other hand the Elan+ sound signature is quite close to that of the NP which I like even more than the Elan+. Therefore the Rah would be the better companion for my NP which I will definitely keep.

I may decide after I have received my Aure and had the opportunity to compare that one versus the two IMR. At least they all share a DD and who knows, maybe I will keep them all in the end? :)

Finally I am a diehard fan and long time user of Qobuz and use Roon for both, Qobuz and my own, quite large collection of music (flac and Hi-Res only). I never listen to youtube - only use youtube links in the music section of this forum...

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

Personally, I've chosen to keep the Elan+
According to my personal and subjective opinion, on a scale from 1 to 10, the Rah 2023 takes 7 and the Elan+ takes 10. Differently expressed, IMR is charging £550 for the Rah2023 and £650 for the Elan+, I believe the value of the Elan+ is around £850, pre VAT.

I've had 2 different pairs of the Rah 23 for a period of 2 months. I've burned-in both of them, up to 700 hours. My second pair has been tested and measured before sent to me, around 800 hours of burn-in I gave it. Couple of days ago, I've listened to both the Elan+ and Rah23 under the most optimal conditions I can afford. Both connected to my Mojo 2. The most striking effect I had was when I've worn one on each ear. Rah23 on my left ear, Elan+ on my right and vice versa. Of course, I've auditioned both exclusively but it was when I've worn one of each that I realized the much bigger potential of the Elan+. It was sounding bigger and better on everything, from detail retrieval to the soundstage and from the bass reproduction to the higher frequencies execution.

With the Rah 2023, which I repeat I had for 2 months, I always had a feeling that I am missing something, that I am looking for something more, waiting for something. The Rah 2023 obliged me to seek alternative tips, trying various and ending up with the Spiral Dots, all the others returned/fully refunded, thank you Amazon. I also bought another cable.

The Elan+ never asked me for anything. I am listening to them right now, with the stock tips and cable. Excellent fit, they sound awesome as they've reached 500 hours of burn-in, today. I am not going to "take them seriously" until I will reach 750 hours, though.

I do not understand what is the point of assessing and expressing superlatives from ...30 hours, or the meaning of replacing filters prior to a full burn-in. I suppose it's fun.

One other thing, that planar drivers require more power. Well, sure, I guess so, I do not have much knowledge on that. But my 7 Hz Timeless and my RAPTGO HOOK-X never had any issue with any of my sources. With the Rah 2023, I have not had the privilege to hear their planar driver the way I was expecting it would sound. Even after all the burn-in and the different tips and cable.

Above and beyond our personal and subjective opinions, it is the IMR customer service that saves the day. To me, they have given the opportunity to have both, evaluate both, keep both or any one, or return both and get a full refund. It cannot get better than this. 👍

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #12,645 of 18,130
Living only a 20 min drive from IMR HQ definitely has its advantages bought the Rah(23) Friday 11:30am delivery 11:00am Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back