• Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 26, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #12,616 of 18,522
Expected :)
Well, now enjoy your new shiny...
Thank you :)

I'd like to post a few more words before returning back the Rah 2023. It is a very good set, they sound really great! It is just that for the genres I am mostly listening to, so Electronica, I need the music to have Energy! I need vividness and sparkle! The Rah 23 is a bit more laid back, more analogue.

It has been said, and also IRM suggests, that the Elan+ is not for bad recordings. I have listened to some bad recording from YouTube Premium and also Amazon Music Unlimited. The Elan+ plays these recordings better than the Rah 2023. Whatever has a good recording and production sounds fuller and more well rounded with the Elan+ than the Rah 23. With bad recordings, it is not that the Rah 23 forgives. It just sounds duller, muddier.

Finally, when it comes to my own .WAV files, even though the difference is minimal, the Elan+ still sound fuller. I've been listening yesterday evening and today, using my Mojo 2 with both IEMs connected at the same time. When I put the Elan+ in one ear and the Rah 23 on the other, the music always sounds bolder, more present and fuller from the Elan+

One thing I would wish is that the midrange on the Elan+ could be a bit more retrieved but I understand they have just around 430 hours of burn-in. Also, I am still using the stock tips and cable and black/black filters. Some people change the filters and play with this from the beginning. For me, this does not make sense, as the drivers are not fully burned in. I will try other filters, cables and tips, after I will reach 750 hours.

Important note: the fit with the Elan+ and the stock tips is perfect for me!
With the Rah 23 and the Spiral Dot tips I had a very good fit but not perfect.

I will end this post, praising IMR customer service. The guys are amazing!! They have allowed me to have the Elan+ since April 8. They have patiently waited me to evaluate it and decide what's best for me. And today, it was I who has emailed them, it's not that they have pushed me to return either of them.

I sincerely appreciate it and I am sure that I have made the absolute best choice for myself.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #12,617 of 18,522
@zikarus , I'd be interested to know which one of the two, Elan+ or Rah 23, you prefer most. What made you purchase both? There is only £100 difference between the two and the Elan+ is better, at least for me. For better context, and if you don't mind, please share the total burn-in time for both and what gear you're using with these two IEMs.

One important question: are you listening to YouTube? Which one sounds better with YouTube? And with Qobuz? Do you have Amazon Music?

Thank you

Apr 27, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #12,618 of 18,522
One of the joys of having multiple sources is I get to discover how fantastic the Elan+ sounds I can say with no trepidatious thoughts that the Sony Nw-WM1A is the chefs kiss source for the Elan+ just breathtaking reproduction of everything I throw at it just sounds totally immersive.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #12,619 of 18,522
One of the joys of having multiple sources is I get to discover how fantastic the Elan+ sounds I can say with no trepidatious thoughts that the Sony Nw-WM1A is the chefs kiss source for the Elan+ just breathtaking reproduction of everything I throw at it just sounds totally immersive.
Same here - the Sony NW-WM1A has a similar tuned philosophy I think to IMR - full rich yet exquisitely tuned. I enjoy other sources but the Sony sounds so much more 'professional' and at another level

I was listening to Elan+ last night with it and was just utterly floored by the mystical 3D holographic EXPERIENCE that you get to enjoy with. I enjoy music with all my IMRs but the experience and immersion of the Elan+ is different and uniquely special. Its a VERY dangerous IEM to have a 'quick listen' to before bed.
As Nick said the Elan+ plays everything and usually improves the 'quality' to a great degree (which in and off itself is incredible) BUT give it something that is well mixed and mastered and you get transported to the god realms !! Listening to some Roy Ayers - I dont think Ive heard such a profoundly perfect presentation of some of the instruments
I thought many times 'this is it, I am done'
However, to balance that I have to say that on occasion it can be a bit too much and as such something caught my eye and the next day

IMR RAH/PB1 arrived today :)

Straight OOTB into my Mac and listened to (Black lower/Gold upper)

Radiohead - In Rainbows (from the Basement) -
Ben Howard - 'End of the Affair' at Jools Holland

and I found way way more than I expected.

The lines of the description:

2023 IMR ultra wide band ADLC dynamic driver and a Planar magnetic driver to create a hybrid that delivers lush analogue sound with a digital edge
and
gives you all the high performance sound of a high performance dynamic IMR IEM combined with ultra high resolution Planar technology for the ultimate detail retrieval.

are easily missed or read too quickly. The line lush analogue sound is spot on. Its plays and feels like a High end Tube Amp. As it says - warm, lush and beautifully analog. Combined with
'ultra high resolution Planar technology for the ultimate detail retrieval' In amongst this lush analog sound is clarity and accuracy in the vocals and certain elements such as cymbals for example. An intriguing and skillfully blended and tuned combination.

I think they may well be a perfect partner to the more ultra pure and clean Elan+ -
Like having the best sounding digital solid state and also a TOTL multi tube amp
OR Like a perfect married couple, The female Elan+ and the 'all man' Rah/PB1 :D

The drum rendition of the Rah/PB1 is also phenomenal - maybe my favourite from an IMR to date ? - Big lush warm drum hits that also somehow manage to have a superb quick transient. Listening to the Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore - the drum hits I can only describe as 'delicious' - I just want to bite them - you actually FEEL the hits of the stick hitting the drum.
Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies just ROCKS

Anyhoo - Very much looking forward to hearing how it sounds when all settled in and also through an amp as the planar driver comes on in leaps and bounds when given some good power
OOTB - in essence sounds like 1970's rock at its very best driven through a high end multi tube amp. Warm lush delicious but with details.
Listening to the 2 youtube links above - I have never heard Radiohead sound like that before - the instruments were presented far apart and VERY clearly to the degree that you could everything that each instrument was giving. Usually they sound more mixed in together and the Ben Howard performance - I could hear the bass string of his guitar vibrating against the neck clear as a bell - Never heard that level of detail before !!
very impressive. Maybe the Rah/PB1 has been overlooked a bit? It is superb

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #12,620 of 18,522
Same here - the Sony NW-WM1A has a similar tuned philosophy I think to IMR - full rich yet exquisitely tuned. I enjoy other sources but the Sony sounds so much more 'professional' and at another level

I was listening to Elan+ last night with it and was just utterly floored by the mystical 3D holographic EXPERIENCE that you get to enjoy with. I enjoy music with all my IMRs but the experience and immersion of the Elan+ is different and uniquely special. Its a VERY dangerous IEM to have a 'quick listen' to before bed.
As Nick said the Elan+ plays everything and usually improves the 'quality' to a great degree (which in and off itself is incredible) BUT give it something that is well mixed and mastered and you get transported to the god realms !! Listening to some Roy Ayers - I dont think Ive heard such a profoundly perfect presentation of some of the instruments
I thought many times 'this is it, I am done'
However, to balance that I have to say that on occasion it can be a bit too much and as such something caught my eye and the next day

IMR RAH/PB1 arrived today :)

Straight OOTB into my Mac and listened to (Black lower/Gold upper)

Radiohead - In Rainbows (from the Basement) -
Ben Howard - 'End of the Affair' at Jools Holland

and I found way way more than I expected.

The lines of the description:

2023 IMR ultra wide band ADLC dynamic driver and a Planar magnetic driver to create a hybrid that delivers lush analogue sound with a digital edge
and
gives you all the high performance sound of a high performance dynamic IMR IEM combined with ultra high resolution Planar technology for the ultimate detail retrieval.

are easily missed or read too quickly. The line lush analogue sound is spot on. Its plays and feels like a High end Tube Amp. As it says - warm, lush and beautifully analog. Combined with
'ultra high resolution Planar technology for the ultimate detail retrieval' In amongst this lush analog sound is clarity and accuracy in the vocals and certain elements such as cymbals for example. An intriguing and skillfully blended and tuned combination.

I think they may well be a perfect partner to the more ultra pure and clean Elan+ -
Like having the best sounding digital solid state and also a TOTL multi tube amp
OR Like a perfect married couple, The female Elan+ and the 'all man' Rah/PB1 :D

The drum rendition of the Rah/PB1 is also phenomenal - maybe my favourite from an IMR to date ? - Big lush warm drum hits that also somehow manage to have a superb quick transient. Listening to the Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore - the drum hits I can only describe as 'delicious' - I just want to bite them - you actually FEEL the hits of the stick hitting the drum.
Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies just ROCKS

Anyhoo - Very much looking forward to hearing how it sounds when all settled in and also through an amp as the planar driver comes on in leaps and bounds when given some good power
OOTB - in essence sounds like 1970's rock at its very best driven through a high end multi tube amp. Warm lush delicious but with details.
Listening to the 2 youtube links above - I have never heard Radiohead sound like that before - the instruments were presented far apart and VERY clearly to the degree that you could everything that each instrument was giving. Usually they sound more mixed in together and the Ben Howard performance - I could hear the bass string of his guitar vibrating against the neck clear as a bell - Never heard that level of detail before !!
very impressive. Maybe the Rah/PB1 has been overlooked a bit? It is superb
Damn.. Just as I'd convinced myself that as I own the Original PB1 I didn't need to try the new"improved" version you go and post this.
I may end up naming you in my divorce....

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #12,621 of 18,522
Damn.. Just as I'd convinced myself that as I own the Original PB1 I didn't need to try the new"improved" version you go and post this.
I may end up naming you in my divorce....
Hmmm, do you think they would let me out of Debtors prison for the day ?

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #12,623 of 18,522
Apr 27, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #12,624 of 18,522
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #12,626 of 18,522
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #12,627 of 18,522
Apr 28, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #12,629 of 18,522
Got a pre-owned Seraph on the way. It's RM in the UK so hoping it will arrive early next week after the bank holiday. Intrigued to hear how the MEMS driver sounds without the transformer.

Apr 28, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #12,630 of 18,522
Jump in for it!
Yes I did, I banged an offer in for £240 so on its way. I'm actually quite relieved it doesn't come with a box. I have 18 of them they take up a lot of storage space

Users who are viewing this thread

Back