Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #9,616 of 17,988
https://tidal.com/album/109636777

Talking about imaging.
Try A/B ing ACE & Z2 with this album to compare stereo imaging.

I find sometimes that an expansive soundstage is confused with pin point stereo placement of sounds in 3D space. In general I found planar IEMs to lack in imaging regardless of soundstage width.

But ACE is not a single driver planar.

This album helps me to disambiguate imaging performance on my IEMs.

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #9,617 of 17,988
The Ace sounds great, on its own. And it depends on the genre and even on the album/track that you're listening to. It's a fine IEM. Strong mids, controlled highs, and decent bass. But the soundstage is a bit flat and the width isn't the greatest either. Super clear and crisp, but lacking in ambience.

The Zii are almost the opposite. Huge stage, amazing L/R separation, great depth, strong solid bass, and superb imaging. Also, the background is "blacker". Voices and instruments float in the air much better than the Ace. The difference is clear on my system. The mids and highs are balanced but slightly recessed on Zii, but not strong and forward like the Ace. As I said before, I think they're more complementary than competitive. A great one-two punch if you have them both.

For me, the Zii is a better overall IEM. Fuller frequency range, better imaging and broader stage. Good clarity on the highs and just overall an entertaining set to listen to. For me, the Ace is more of a purpose-built IEM where you are looking for the ultimate clarity and vocal resolution, but you are giving up some technicalities and tonal accuracy as a tradeoff.

EDIT: I'm referring to the Zii in the open back configuration. I almost never listen to it closed, as I don't hear much benefit and there are many audible drawbacks. It really does need to be heard open backed.
100% agree with you. I would add that if you are looking for the best from the 2, then you should be looking for Avalon. It has the soudstage of Zenith and the mids of Ace

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #9,618 of 17,988
I'm letting my EDP Ace go. PM me if anyone is interested.

Sep 26, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #9,619 of 17,988
100% agree with you. I would add that if you are looking for the best from the 2, then you should be looking for Avalon. It has the soudstage of Zenith and the mids of Ace
For classical I guess Avalon would be the one to choose.
But which of the IMR line would you or others in this forum suggest as the best for complex classical tracks?

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #9,620 of 17,988
For classical I guess Avalon would be the one to choose.
But which of the IMR line would you or others in this forum suggest as the best for complex classical tracks?
Avalon is probably the best I've heard from IMR full stop -it excels with busy rock and metal, classical and acoustic. For me, it even beats the Semper in terms of overall sound. I have more expensive gear kind the Noble Kublai Khan, JH Audio Jolene etc but Avalon if the one I keep coming back to fit most of my listening these days. The ability of bone conduction drivers to lift the mid range clarity no matter what is going on beneath or above, and the after sense of realism it gives music is a potent combination for Bob's bonkers DD drivers and a pair of ESTs.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #9,621 of 17,988
Avalon is probably the best I've heard from IMR full stop -it excels with busy rock and metal, classical and acoustic. For me, it even beats the Semper in terms of overall sound. I have more expensive gear kind the Noble Kublai Khan, JH Audio Jolene etc but Avalon if the one I keep coming back to fit most of my listening these days. The ability of bone conduction drivers to lift the mid range clarity no matter what is going on beneath or above, and the after sense of realism it gives music is a potent combination for Bob's bonkers DD drivers and a pair of ESTs.
I agree with you. I had Aten, Rah, Semper and now Avalon, Zenith II and Ace. Avalon is clearly the best IEM from IMR so far for me and the one I won't hesitate to keep

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #9,622 of 17,988
The Ace sounds great, on its own. And it depends on the genre and even on the album/track that you're listening to. It's a fine IEM. Strong mids, controlled highs, and decent bass. But the soundstage is a bit flat and the width isn't the greatest either. Super clear and crisp, but lacking in ambience.

The Zii are almost the opposite. Huge stage, amazing L/R separation, great depth, strong solid bass, and superb imaging. Also, the background is "blacker". Voices and instruments float in the air much better than the Ace. The difference is clear on my system. The mids and highs are balanced but slightly recessed on Zii, but not strong and forward like the Ace. As I said before, I think they're more complementary than competitive. A great one-two punch if you have them both.

For me, the Zii is a better overall IEM. Fuller frequency range, better imaging and broader stage. Good clarity on the highs and just overall an entertaining set to listen to. For me, the Ace is more of a purpose-built IEM where you are looking for the ultimate clarity and vocal resolution, but you are giving up some technicalities and tonal accuracy as a tradeoff.

EDIT: I'm referring to the Zii in the open back configuration. I almost never listen to it closed, as I don't hear much benefit and there are many audible drawbacks. It really does need to be heard open backed.

Yup, but I'm tending to prefer Ace.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #9,623 of 17,988
I agree with you. I had Aten, Rah, Semper and now Avalon, Zenith II and Ace. Avalon is clearly the best IEM from IMR so far for me and the one I won't hesitate to keep
Think my list of IMR models goes:
R1
R1 Zenith
Rah
PB One
R3 Halcyon
Opus Mia
Semper
Ozar
Elan
Knight
Elysium
Dark Matter
Avalon

Have kept a few, but the Avalon is the current favourite, with Dark Matter not far behind. Still making my mind up whether to take any slots Bob has left on the Seraph+ or Titan, but not feeling the urge to upgrade right now given how enjoyable the Avalon is. IMHO, bone conduction is the game changer IMR needed to really maximize the potential of their lineup without compromising on that huge bass and staging that comes along with it.

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #9,624 of 17,988
Yup, but I'm tending to prefer Ace.
The Ace and the Zenith II are very different to me, totally different sound signatures, yet I would find it impossible to say which I prefer. They both give me musical pleasure. I like the Zenith set to open back too. What I can say, for sure, owning the Dark Matter and Ozar as well, is that Bob has an amazing skill at creating such pleasing IEMs. Many people have no idea IMR exist and do not know what they are missing.

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #9,625 of 17,988
Think my list of IMR models goes:
R1
R1 Zenith
Rah
PB One
R3 Halcyon
Opus Mia
Semper
Ozar
Elan
Knight
Elysium
Dark Matter
Avalon

Have kept a few, but the Avalon is the current favourite, with Dark Matter not far behind. Still making my mind up whether to take any slots Bob has left on the Seraph+ or Titan, but not feeling the urge to upgrade right now given how enjoyable the Avalon is. IMHO, bone conduction is the game changer IMR needed to really maximize the potential of their lineup without compromising on that huge bass and staging that comes along with it.
Interesting. Don't think I've seen anyone put a model ahead of Semper.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #9,626 of 17,988
Sep 26, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #9,627 of 17,988
that's not the order of preference. They are sorted by release date

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #9,628 of 17,988
Yeah, at first I was thinking it was "worst to best" but then understood.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #9,629 of 17,988
I came to the conclusion that I don't need to keep Ace and Zenith II. As others said, they are complementary IEMs: Zenith has excellent soundstage and very powerful bass but very recessed mids compared to Ace. Ace on the other hand has a narrow soundstage, good mids, ok bass but it can sound dark sometimes. So each set has non-acceptable weaknesses. Avalon has the strength of the 2 without having their weaknesses. So, there is no reason why I would keep them. I will not change the set each time depending on the music I will listen to. If I listen with Avalon, I know that I will be listening to the best from IMR

Sep 26, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #9,630 of 17,988
Ozar is currently being offered right now, would that be the one to buy or wait for something else? I was hoping to snatch a pair of Zenith II but those are all out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back