Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 23, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #9,601 of 18,081
Ive always had perfect results with IMR cables and have always come back to them after trying others However
I just returned my Semper to IMR as they just weren't sounding right. Muddy, too much bass
Bob said they sounded ok but Brandon mentioned that the cable was oxidized and included a new one when sending back.
Maybe it was the cable and maybe I had it in the wrong way round BUT the Semper sound is BACK
Quite a humble [bass] set up with grey lower and blue upper but the 3D holographics are sublime and the soundstage is massive
Its a sound signature I havent used for while but Im loving it

Point being - if it doesn't sound right, maybe it isn't in some way or another
The newer IMR's though do need a minimum of 500 hours though before they [potentially] stop sounding - not together or quite right yet, the ACE especially!

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #9,602 of 18,081
I ran into a similar oxidation problem not long ago, its wasn't very easy to find or fix. Took multiple 3-5 cleanings with Deoxit Gold before things started sounding proper. Bob diagnosed it for me over email. Probably the same time they had your Semper.

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #9,603 of 18,081
I ran into a similar oxidation problem not long ago, its wasn't very easy to find or fix. Took multiple 3-5 cleanings with Deoxit Gold before things started sounding proper. Bob diagnosed it for me over email. Probably the same time they had your Semper.
Brandon said he spotted it and that it was quite bad
Although it was maybe Bob merely touching the Sempers that re-magicked them!
It was a good personal lesson. I haven't had much experience with oxidization (apart from an expensive Parametric EQ going down during a live event!)

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #9,604 of 18,081
One question somebody said that Bob's iems are ok regarding polarities. Do you actually measured cables he use?
Because I've got a discussion in other community and I referred what I read here that one's there were a batch with inverted polarities but Bob has sent to everybody another pair and bla bla bla. From then all iems were ok with polarities.

But there is one thing to say. Cables have inverted polarities comparing to mass market cables (I took a multimeter and checked it out). Bob's cables have inner pin negative and outer positive.
All the other cables I measurer (Effect Audio, Satin Audio and other...) have inner positive and outer negative like on the pic...
As far as I understand if both left and right unit are same in polarity, then you can use the cable either way as long as you are following it for both channels. There should be no difference in sound.
Zenith had this issue in one of the channel. And when it was delivered, most of them reported sound issue to Bob. He got panicked and thought that it was caused due to the faulty filters. But soon he figured that one of the channel had reverse polarity and he suggested how to correct it by just inverting the connector after examining one of the channel so that it would be in sync with the cable.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/imr-r1-thread.866361/page-132#post-14762250

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #9,607 of 18,081
Relevant somehow with the current discussion: I switched to the 4.4 ballanced cable and plugged ACE to my M11. This completely messed up the sound, threw everything out of ballance.

Sounded like the DD was overpowering as the bass became boomy. Switched back to the 3.5 cable on the same source (M11) and everything settled back down again. Everything sounds right once more.

Someone here mentioned ballanced favours planars and I agree in principle (love it with Timeless eg) but maybe this is not the case with hybrid planars. Felt like I had to start rolling filters again to find coherence.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #9,608 of 18,081
I was tending to agree that Zen II put EDP Ace in the shade, the other day I took Ace off after half an hour and was really disappointed. Tried them again and they sound superb, especially for the discounted price I paid. I think it's my ears some days they just seem to prefer a certain iem and the others sound meh.

Sep 23, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #9,609 of 18,081
Relevant somehow with the current discussion: I switched to the 4.4 ballanced cable and plugged ACE to my M11. This completely messed up the sound, threw everything out of ballance.

Sounded like the DD was overpowering as the bass became boomy. Switched back to the 3.5 cable on the same source (M11) and everything settled back down again. Everything sounds right once more.

Someone here mentioned ballanced favours planars and I agree in principle (love it with Timeless eg) but maybe this is not the case with hybrid planars. Felt like I had to start rolling filters again to find coherence.
Not tried this as i prefer all my iems to be 4.4mm and i have a few hybrid/ tribrid planars
But the worst dap i have is the fiio m15 for the ace
Just does not sound right
My hiby r6 pro sounds very good and my ibasso dx240 sounds even better
Altho i think my m15 works best with my avalons
Need to try them again lol

Sep 23, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #9,610 of 18,081
Not tried this as i prefer all my iems to be 4.4mm and i have a few hybrid/ tribrid planars
But the worst dap i have is the fiio m15 for the ace
Just does not sound right
My hiby r6 pro sounds very good and my ibasso dx240 sounds even better
Altho i think my m15 works best with my avalons
Need to try them again lol
Well they sound just fine plugged in the 3.5 mm output. It is probably a power differential synergy issue with the different drivers. I say that because something similar (not to this extent regarding bass deterioration) when I use high gain.
Like to keep them at low gain and just raise the volume if needed.
Other sources I use with no particular issue are: dragonfly cobalt, lg v50 and chord mojo.

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #9,611 of 18,081
I think that what makes Ace boring compared to Zenith II is the fact that Ace is more mid forward, which makes bass and treble not shine. I'm listen to Rap tracks with ZII as I type and man those small things give you a huuuuuge bass. It's like I have a subwoofer in my ears

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #9,612 of 18,081
I think that what makes Ace boring compared to Zenith II is the fact that Ace is more mid forward, which makes bass and treble not shine. I'm listen to Rap tracks with ZII as I type and man those small things give you a huuuuuge bass. It's like I have a subwoofer in my ears
I can only comment on another bass heavy IMR of which I have experience, DarkMatter. These do rumble nicely while maintaining a clear and relatively present midrange. The combination of big bass and articulate mids is no small fit and it is really enjoyable but comparatively to the whole presentation of ACE it sounds a bit artificial to me. ACE is no bass shy IEM but this is combined with thick and realistic midrange. I find this preferable.
But I can clearly see why one who focuses mainly on bass due to the music genres he/she enjoys might find ACE uninteresting, annoying even.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #9,613 of 18,081
I think the bass on the ace is powerful, clean
Dont affect the mids yet mids are forward
I would love to hear the z2 but if its anything like the z1 then i know i wont like it lol
Then again the z2 has a bigger dd than the ace so i would expect the bass to be better

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #9,614 of 18,081
Dafaq
@RossSlavgorodskii 's Ace have regular polarity
IMG_20220924_224338_780.jpg

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #9,615 of 18,081
I was tending to agree that Zen II put EDP Ace in the shade, the other day I took Ace off after half an hour and was really disappointed. Tried them again and they sound superb, especially for the discounted price I paid. I think it's my ears some days they just seem to prefer a certain iem and the others sound meh.
The Ace sounds great, on its own. And it depends on the genre and even on the album/track that you're listening to. It's a fine IEM. Strong mids, controlled highs, and decent bass. But the soundstage is a bit flat and the width isn't the greatest either. Super clear and crisp, but lacking in ambience.

The Zii are almost the opposite. Huge stage, amazing L/R separation, great depth, strong solid bass, and superb imaging. Also, the background is "blacker". Voices and instruments float in the air much better than the Ace. The difference is clear on my system. The mids and highs are balanced but slightly recessed on Zii, but not strong and forward like the Ace. As I said before, I think they're more complementary than competitive. A great one-two punch if you have them both.

For me, the Zii is a better overall IEM. Fuller frequency range, better imaging and broader stage. Good clarity on the highs and just overall an entertaining set to listen to. For me, the Ace is more of a purpose-built IEM where you are looking for the ultimate clarity and vocal resolution, but you are giving up some technicalities and tonal accuracy as a tradeoff.

EDIT: I'm referring to the Zii in the open back configuration. I almost never listen to it closed, as I don't hear much benefit and there are many audible drawbacks. It really does need to be heard open backed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back