Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 20, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #9,571 of 18,070
Agreed on these definitions. Interestingly to my ears Timeless (on ballanced-output) is great on separation as you define it. But whole frequency range details, no, ACE sounds fuller in resolution (Think analogously a higher resolution TV).
Maybe is a filter thing. Most probably you've already tried it but black-gold and wide bore silicone tips works well with ACE.
Its so subjective I have the Timeless and I'm a planar guy with 7 sets and another on the way (dunu Talos) the Timeless is a bit MEH for me, the overall sound signature of the Ace I find superior in every way.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #9,572 of 18,070
Its so subjective I have the Timeless and I'm a planar guy with 7 sets and another on the way (dunu Talos) the Timeless is a bit MEH for me, the overall sound signature of the Ace I find superior in every way.
I like Timeless but I believe if one finds a way to tame the energy of ACE and channel it in usefully manner, it is a very special music producing beast.
I have and still enjoy Shure se846s.
ACE is like a MadMax-machine 1000 horse-power version of those.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #9,573 of 18,070
As Ive said before :) - You NEED a minimum of 500 hours burn in for ACE - Mine actually notably improved further after 700 hours.
Going through a round of filters again and its surprising at how much difference each one makes, never mind getting the synergy right between the lower and upper [for you own personal set up]

I just bought a Planar Magnet Headphone and have brought out my big old 1990's Sharwood HiFi Amp
The difference with the ACE playing though something that powerful makes them sound a LOT more mature. Actually like a completely different and new IEM !
The separation, clarity and quality of the notes is improved WAY beyond what I expected. Blown away tbh
I know planars like power but they sound on a whole nother level out of this powerful amp.
They sound like big cans - Extraordinary difference

EDIT: I was trying to think of the correct terminology to express the difference giving them a lot more power makes
It gives them a lot more authority !

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #9,575 of 18,070
EDIT: I was trying to think of the correct terminology to express the difference giving them a lot more power makes
It gives them a lot more authority !
LOL, I said this on another forum and got roasted for it. Everyone laughed and kept saying how IEMs only need DAP power and anything else was a waste.

Until people hear the effect of a powerful amp in a good system, they have no idea.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #9,576 of 18,070
My EDP Ace is now around 200hrs and I'm really enjoying them. Using gold lower and green upper and Whizzer et100 tips. Using those tips makes them much more comfortable. Gonna post my EQ setting as well that's on my ess DAC. I am sensitive to certain frequencies but the EDP is pretty forgiving. I think they are pretty special IEMs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220920-111805.png
    Screenshot_20220920-111805.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 21, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #9,577 of 18,070
LOL, I said this on another forum and got roasted for it. Everyone laughed and kept saying how IEMs only need DAP power and anything else was a waste.

Until people hear the effect of a powerful amp in a good system, they have no idea.
TBH Ive been in this game a long time and I have to admit I was surprised at the degree of improvement but you are 100% right - you really have to try everything as you really never know until you experience something directly especially with audio.
I suspect though its the planar that is showing its best with the power it needs to 100% shine not so much the dynamic drivers

The number of people who TELL me 'burn in does not exist' based on...wait for it....NEVER having experienced it !! I cant think of a dumber way to argue a point :D
I am finding more and more though it is ALL about synergy. Ive been very lucky that the amp sounds / works as well as it does. It surprises me often just how much quality of audio can be sometimes hidden behind a single less than ideal component in ones audio chain :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #9,578 of 18,070

I completely agree. I don't care what other people think or say, I just trust what I hear. Tbh I never owned a fancy super expensive dap, so I can't judge how does it sound there, but comparing a middle class desktop device to a dap of the same price, an iem would probably sound better on the first. I find that the iems from IMR generally need a powerful source, of course this applies more to those with planars. Even on my portable devices I turn on the gain, and for imr it always yields good results, which by other iems is not always the case. I currently for listening at home listen use my avalon on my burson desktop dac/amp on low gain with sparkos opamps, and the sound is just stellar.

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #9,579 of 18,070
The Tempotec V6 DAP will shortly be ready. It's on Kickstarter for about £240 and includes a leather case and 64GB card. It has a 3.5 and 4.4 headphone out AND a 3.5 and 4.4 Line Out, and has AK chips. It's still available at that price. Amazing.
I find both the Zenith II and the EDP ACE both like a bit of 4.4mm especially the ACE with it's Planar.
Regarding Burn-in, IEMs I bought ages ago are still burning in. "Thing's change Kundun", said Norbu, to the Dalai Lama.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #9,580 of 18,070
TBH Ive been in this game a long time and I have to admit I was surprised at the degree of improvement but you are 100% right - you really have to try everything as you really never know until you experience something directly especially with audio.
I suspect though its the planar that is showing its best with the power it needs to 100% shine not so much the dynamic drivers

The number of people who TELL me 'burn in does not exist' based on...wait for it....NEVER having experienced it !! I cant think of a dumber way to argue a point :D
I am finding more and more though it is ALL about synergy. Ive been very lucky that the amp sounds / works as well as it does. It surprises me often just how much quality of audio can be sometimes hidden behind a single less than ideal component in ones audio chain :)

Exactly why I set up the thread "Talking Synergy" a while ago, you could spend a fortune on earphones and headphones only to discover that with the right source your previous sets sound as good and sometimes much better than many others for which you paid good money.

As someone said, it is a pity that the thread is not as popular as it should be.

I suppose understanding synergy is something we each to discover for ourselves.

Thread 'Talking Synergy' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/talking-synergy.957122/

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #9,581 of 18,070
Great point. You can evidence it with the Avalon from IMR - sure, they scale better in terms of resolution and depth with high end sources like the Fiio M17, but to me, my favourite pairing is the Avalon and Hidizs AP80 Pro-X. There is something about the Pro-X that makes the Avalon come alive when running balanced that just makes it sound "right". It's all about finding that perfect match for your own preferences.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #9,582 of 18,070
Just today another 100 hours of burn-in passed for my Zenith 2. After a quick listening session it seems that the treble is less sibilant and the Z2 has become more warm-sounding. My other IEMs got sent to the burning-in bench now.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #9,583 of 18,070
I think it varies from unit to unit. My Zii were never sibilant, harsh, or bright. Always warm, smooth, clear and balanced. I don't really notice any difference in performance between ~300 hours and when they were right out of the box.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #9,584 of 18,070
Just today another 100 hours of burn-in passed for my Zenith 2. After a quick listening session it seems that the treble is less sibilant and the Z2 has become more warm-sounding. My other IEMs got sent to the burning-in bench now.

I think it varies from unit to unit. My Zii were never sibilant, harsh, or bright. Always warm, smooth, clear and balanced. I don't really notice any difference in performance between ~300 hours and when they were right out of the box.

If I recall it right, this is what happened with first version of Zenith too. Initially almost no one mentioned about its 5k peak/sibilance. But after sometimes 5k peak was posted by many. I kept it burning for more than 500 hours but it never got settled. I tried almost everything like different tips, all combinations of filters, damping material.
It's always better to believe what you hear than to rely on reviews. If it sounds good to you, it is good no matter what others say about it. and same rule applies to expensive Vs non-expensive gears. I always like my Koss KPH30i more than Zenith due to that treble peak. KPH30 is almost 15 times cheaper than the zenith price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back