• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 27, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #9,646 of 17,988
AVALON vs DARK MATTER?
Have the latter and have an itch for the former!
Avalon have larger sound stage, a bit less of mids, because thanks to 6mm conduction dynamic driver on DM they feel more bodied. Avalon have more treble and more holographic sound. Overall dm have more intimate sound

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #9,649 of 17,988
Pure silver cable makes mids become more transparent. Try out one...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I use special audiophile ribbons for that. Yellow, orange or red for more bass, green for cleaner mids, shades of blue to boost clarity and detail. Much cheaper than buying cables and effect is exactly the same.

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #9,650 of 17,988
DM has a more intimate delivery compared to Avalon. low frequencies creep a little on the middle ones, the vocals are closer to the listener. I have a claim only to high frequencies, in DM they are less pronounced, there is not enough length.
Avalon is the absolute opposite of DM - biting, elastic low frequencies that do not creep into the mids. vocals are less intimate,
slightly moved away from the listener. I had a complaint about high frequencies, they sounded crumpled, but after a long time they began to sound sparkling, with good extension. I'm sure the Avalon isn't the most outstanding headphone on the audio market, but if you're looking for the best in IMR, then this is the Avalon. yet again,
taking into account tastes)) in my case with the M17 from FiiO Avalon they just blow my mind. I am 100% satisfied:L3000:

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #9,651 of 17,988
Avalon is the absolute opposite of DM - biting, elastic low frequencies that do not creep into the mids. vocals are less intimate,
slightly moved away from the listener.
And yet, to my ears at least, vocals on the Avalon are quite forward and intimate. Pretty much perfect for me.

Must. Resist. Buying. DM!

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #9,654 of 17,988
After much deliberation, selling my Aces. Link in signature.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #9,655 of 17,988
I use Ace and Zenith II over it. I listen to some music with very down tuned fast guitaring (fuzzy wall of sound) and DM doesn't handle it as well as the others, it's fine with 'ordinary' music though.
I like ACE with that type of music as well. Love the energy and immersion it offers. Must be those bone conduction drivers that add that extra nuance.
Addictive.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #9,656 of 17,988
After much deliberation, selling my Aces. Link in signature.
Kinda sorry to see this, on your behalf. I know you had a long wait ... like all of us.

And I'm still waiting to get mine back from repair. I've totally forgotten what they sounded like (only 100 hours of burn in).

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #9,657 of 17,988
Kinda sorry to see this, on your behalf. I know you had a long wait ... like all of us.

And I'm still waiting to get mine back from repair. I've totally forgotten what they sounded like (only 100 hours of burn in).
thanks for the kind words

its mostly because i want to fund another hobby (watches), not because i didnt like them. but out of them, the Monarch MKII, and IER-Z1R, they are the ones that i picked. not a bad IEM by any means and they beat the other 2 IEMs in other areas; i have had them for less time and they are the easiest to part with compared with the others.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #9,658 of 17,988
I like ACE with that type of music as well. Love the energy and immersion it offers. Must be those bone conduction drivers that add that extra nuance.
Addictive.

It sounds like DM isn't quite as fast as Zen II's ultra wide and Piezo drivers or Ace's planar.
So pleased I bought both Ace And Zen II, the detail especially from Ace is amazing (a little eq even bought out more), now they have well over a hundred hours on they both sound blissful and for the price you wouldn't expect these to sound as good as they do. For the first few months I really didn't know what to make of them, moments of greatness with Ace initially, and Zen II sounded so so, pairing with another player has transformed the sound, they're much more coherent now.

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #9,659 of 17,988

Thanks for the suggestion, but I use special audiophile ribbons for that. Yellow, orange or red for more bass, green for cleaner mids, shades of blue to boost clarity and detail. Much cheaper than buying cables and effect is exactly the same.
I am sorry but I couldn't resist to ask, what exactly are these audiophile ribbons? You mean those flat ribon cables?

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #9,660 of 17,988
It sounds like DM isn't quite as fast as Zen II's ultra wide and Piezo drivers or Ace's planar.
So pleased I bought both Ace And Zen II, the detail especially from Ace is amazing (a little eq even bought out more), now they have well over a hundred hours on they both sound blissful and for the price you wouldn't expect these to sound as good as they do. For the first few months I really didn't know what to make of them, moments of greatness with Ace initially, and Zen II sounded so so, pairing with another player has transformed the sound, they're much more coherent now.
were did u eq and what did u apply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back