Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 17, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #5,491 of 18,162
Question, has anyone ever tried using a bluetooth amp with your IMR IEMs, such as the FiiO UTWS3/UTWS5? I have several IMR IEMs now, so I'm considering converting one of them with a bluetooth amp to be used with my computer for conferences/meetings where I require a mic. All my wired IEMs that has a non-detachable mic cable are failing, so thinking about this as an alternative, i.e. using my old R1 Zenith with a UTWS3/UTWS5 to connect via bluetooth to my computer.
Most of the Bluetooth over the ear adapters have less than stellar call quality, IMHO. I don't have the Fiios, but I have the KZ and the TRNs, and they wouldn't be my first (or 10th) choice for conference calls. I think it's the mic placement near the bottom, the ear is kind of in the way. Not sure if there are any neckband styles that would fit the IMRs. You can get a relatively inexpensive pair of TWS for that, with much better mics. Of course most don't have interchangeable tuning nozzles, but the SQ is fine for meetings.

Edit: Doh! I meant sketchy call quality. The SQ is pretty good. Also, I use my 5k daily with my IMRs, sounds awesome.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #5,492 of 18,162
Question, has anyone ever tried using a bluetooth amp with your IMR IEMs, such as the FiiO UTWS3/UTWS5? I have several IMR IEMs now, so I'm considering converting one of them with a bluetooth amp to be used with my computer for conferences/meetings where I require a mic. All my wired IEMs that has a non-detachable mic cable are failing, so thinking about this as an alternative, i.e. using my old R1 Zenith with a UTWS3/UTWS5 to connect via bluetooth to my computer.
I got the Null-Audio Nyx, it’s got a great amp.
When I use my Qudelix 5K and try out expensive DAPs, I tend to think I have all I need already. And when I use that sweet BT cable, I think wait, actually this could very well suffice!
Shoot them a message beforehand if you are interested so their tech guy uses the special IMR connector (no extra charge, works a treat).

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #5,493 of 18,162
The Halcyon are a real curiosity, kind of a one-off I think. The PB2 are often described as analytical, lighter on bass, treble-intensive. I haven’t heard them. I did hear the R3, they are the opposite, a bit stifling and slow, dark, but on the flipside very intimate and emotional. Great for vocal, folk music. Not at all the Semper tuning which is more technical although the Semper have a bit of darkness to them too.
I find them amazing for rock, guitars are exceptional and some albums have a different vibe on em, they are a fun set. I was lurking the site since i don’t get bob’s emails for some reason, actually wanted to ask if someone got the new headphones info; could mail it to me. I’m very looking forward to see whats new.

It seems like the website got cleared of all the info that had earlier today

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #5,494 of 18,162
Utws5 works wonders, it has its caveats (firstly, availability) but it does in deed a wonderful job, it has quite enough power to drive all imr headphones to appropriate volume, i used already knight, ozar and SOG with it and it does push em with good dinamycs, utws its quite warm though and it does reflect in some headphones, knight can become quite mellow with it for example.

Qudelix 5k it’s another great dongle to look at, its way more stable and reliable, with more functionalities though the cables are still there and sometimes i think it’s redundant to get a Bluetooth square which at the end its connected, nevertheless the app its stunning and quite useful, PEQ its impecable and it has ANY BT codec that you can imagine. Just my 2 cents

Mar 17, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #5,495 of 18,162
Utws5 works wonders, it has its caveats (firstly, availability) but it does in deed a wonderful job, it has quite enough power to drive all imr headphones to appropriate volume, i used already knight, ozar and SOG with it and it does push em with good dinamycs, utws its quite warm though and it does reflect in some headphones, knight can become quite mellow with it for example.

Qudelix 5k it’s another great dongle to look at, its way more stable and reliable, with more functionalities though the cables are still there and sometimes i think it’s redundant to get a Bluetooth square which at the end its connected, nevertheless the app its stunning and quite useful, PEQ its impecable and it has ANY BT codec that you can imagine. Just my 2 cents

Thanks everyone, this is great info for me to consider. I always wondered would the recessed connector be a problem, and now I know.

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #5,496 of 18,162
Thanks everyone, this is great info for me to consider. I always wondered would the recessed connector be a problem, and now I know.
For the UTWS5 it’s apparently a safer bet to order the MMCX version along with an MMCX to 2-pin adapter like OE’s. Hifigo carry both.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #5,498 of 18,162
After four weeks of pink noise and four days of 10 to 200 Hz sine sweeps, maybe I'll actually give my Avalons a listen this weekend. :smile_phones:

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #5,499 of 18,162
After four weeks of pink noise and four days of 10 to 200 Hz sine sweeps, maybe I'll actually give my Avalons a listen this weekend. :smile_phones:
I would have never had so much patience 😃, I am still at around 150 hours, and can't help listening to them every now and then, and they sound great so far. Waiting for your impressions after this thorough burn in!

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #5,500 of 18,162
M6Pro Ozar.jpeg

My lazy Friday afternoon!

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #5,501 of 18,162
I just received the free IEM from Bob. Anyone asked him what drivers are inside it?
Actually it is not a bad IEM. It reminds me of Aten R2

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #5,502 of 18,162
My early impression for this free IEM was quite a messy sounding and left it burning for the past 3 days. Listened this evening and hearing a different kind of bass presentation. Tight punching/hitting bass with a nice Low end. I hear it’s about speed with good tempo when on my Rainbow’s albums and feel there should be more than one driver in there due to its planar like midrange. So i did ask Bob but he confirmed just a single DD.

A special tuned DD: CNT ADLC 10mm DD with tuning specific acting more like a multi driver setup.
If he deploys this in EDP Ace, you guys will be in for a good deal as OG EDP to my ears also has tight punching bass.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #5,503 of 18,162
I think I have narrowed my search down to the EDP Ace and the B-stock OZAR. From what I gather the OZAR is bass heavy similar to my Penon Serial, but sacrifices a little speed. The other option I am looking at is the EDP Ace with the DD, Planar, and Bone conduction. From my understanding this extends the frequency response on the top end. Any suggestions? For me the OZAR is $337 and the ACE is $300

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #5,504 of 18,162
I think I have narrowed my search down to the EDP Ace and the B-stock OZAR. From what I gather the OZAR is bass heavy similar to my Penon Serial, but sacrifices a little speed. The other option I am looking at is the EDP Ace with the DD, Planar, and Bone conduction. From my understanding this extends the frequency response on the top end. Any suggestions? For me the OZAR is $337 and the ACE is $300
If you're patient I would wait for Ace, if you can't wait and want your toys right here, right now, than you can easily take Ozar, their sound worths money they cost.
OR!
If you have some more cash and client discount, take Avalon. An amazing life like, organic sound . One of the best coppers sound I've heard in iems so far. Drums in general sound so good, never heard them so well. Bravo Bob

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back