Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 15, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #5,461 of 18,013
So there is to be no Stingray. Bob is refunding everyone (I got mine back today). He said that he wasn't happy with the quality of the items he got back from the supplier.

It's a shame for sure as I thought that would be my endgame pair but fairplay to Bob & he probs took a hit there.

Looking for comparisons of Avalon & Dark Matter with the Astra & Elysium. Are they an upgrade over them?

Mar 15, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #5,462 of 18,013
Grand occasion lol: my 1000th post here. I will dedicate it to the story of my IMR journey so far.

The R1 was a muscular android whom I found standing in my living room with a huge grin on his face. He had bashed the front door open and scared me a bit at first, but it soon became clear that he meant only good to me. Any other iem that came close to my ears he would effortlessly swat away. He is still a great gym buddy, the kind who spots your heaviest bar with his little finger and stretches you till it pops. And he still has that great big grin in his face.

The Zenith was the same guy, but in a top hat and speaking in a weird posh accent. We had to part ways.

The R2 came swinging even harder, faster, stronger than the R1; he is the pal who pulls out all the stops so he can be sure you are having a great time together. Total robot bromance. Robromance.

The Rah were a chameleon device. They would mirror life so perfectly it was eerie. But they were so in touch with the world that they bled all their noise into it in return. We couldn’t stick together because it would expose me too damn much; it was a sad farewell.

The submarine Halcyon surged from the deep and spoke in a deep baritone. His wail moved me but I could not live as low as he would dive, where little light filters from the surface. Back to the abyss he plunged and both of us sighed.

The Semper was a full-fledged spaceship, able to zip anywhere and laser its way in and out of the most complex passages without a bruise on its shiny shell. It was a lively, perfect creature, but how do you cram an entire spaceship in your ears? They would never stay in. On it rode, back to its native country, for its glory to be enjoyed by a fellow explorer.

And tonight I sail with the Dark Matter, new friends spawned from the black between the stars to take me through clouds of fiery dust. Behind I will remain where the bass is the light, and watch you my friends as you bask in splashes of red or gold, cross the event horizon, and reach the evergreen fields of celestial Avalon.
Loved this post. I love your impressions and agree with you on them.

Mar 15, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #5,463 of 18,013
So there is to be no Stingray. Bob is refunding everyone (I got mine back today). He said that he wasn't happy with the quality of the items he got back from the supplier.

It's a shame for sure as I thought that would be my endgame pair but fairplay to Bob & he probs took a hit there.

Looking for comparisons of Avalon & Dark Matter with the Astra & Elysium. Are they an upgrade over them?
aw man, thats a real bummer!

Mar 15, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #5,464 of 18,013
Argh I pushed the grill out of my splash of gold being clumsy putting a foam tip on what tool and size of tool do you need to unscrew the tiny screws so I can take it off and refit the grill... Gutted

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #5,465 of 18,013
Now, I haven't done a side by side comparison between Avalon and Elysium, yet, but I feel like they're two different pairs of wellies, so any comparison between the two is bound to be flawed from the start.

The Elysium is very relaxing, very analogue in its presentation: perfect for when you just want to enjoy music without being bombarded by technicalities, without analysing nuances, but it is also somewhat dark. It is also unforgiving of poor quality recordings, but with high quality songs it really shines.

The Avalon, on the other hand, is like a slightly warmer and fuzzier Semper, just with more forward vocals and more cramped headstage. (See my comparison between the two a few pages back.)

The Avalon is very much an audiophile IEM, while the Elysium is a melomaniac's earphone.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #5,466 of 18,013
While I wouldn't call it a "spiritual experience," I spent some sublime time with Radiohead's In Rainbows today with the Elan through my newish FiiO M11 Plus.

The album never sounded better (I think this is the first time I used the Elan for this album). Every moment was a joy. Not really the first jaw-dropping experience with the Elan, but yes for Elan with the FiiO.

photo_2022-03-15_17-53-24.jpg

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #5,467 of 18,013
Grand occasion lol: my 1000th post here. I will dedicate it to the story of my IMR journey so far.

The Rah were a chameleon device. They would mirror life so perfectly it was eerie. But they were so in touch with the world that they bled all their noise into it in return. We couldn’t stick together because it would expose me too damn much; it was a sad farewell.
Agreed! What a beautiful tribute to your journey. I highlight your comment on the RAH which is exactly why I had mine converted to a CIEM and it's magnificent!

Mar 16, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #5,469 of 18,013
Bob updated his Website. There are new used IEMs available. Interesting: the R3 electrostatic IEM is on sale.

Besides that there is gonna be a new IEM called Seraph featuring brand new driver tech.
Yes and it seems that Seraph are wireless IEM. This is cool

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #5,472 of 18,013
While I wouldn't call it a "spiritual experience," I spent some sublime time with Radiohead's In Rainbows today with the Elan through my newish FiiO M11 Plus.

The album never sounded better (I think this is the first time I used the Elan for this album). Every moment was a joy. Not really the first jaw-dropping experience with the Elan, but yes for Elan with the FiiO.

You'll be surprised when you will listen to this album with Avalon. Loved it with Elan, but Avalon even not already fine burned in sound divine.

Yep, totally unexpected, I opened the package thinking it was the experimental tuning, instead it was a pair of IEMs.
what iem did you recieve?

Serial number is shared by Dark matter and Avalon, so the first serial number has been up to 100 total.
So does it mean that if I have Avalon > than 50 and < than 100 I can have a chance to get ETS?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #5,474 of 18,013
So does it mean that if I have Avalon > than 50 and < than 100 I can have a chance to get ETS?
At this point I don't think we're going to get the ETS. It's been two months since they were shipped from Germany and got routed to Dubai instead of UK. We've had no updates on this since early February, either. Notice that none of the models that came after the Pro line had the ETS.

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #5,475 of 18,013
At this point I don't think we're going to get the ETS. It's been two months since they were shipped from Germany and got routed to Dubai instead of UK. We've had no updates on this since early February, either. Notice that none of the models that came after the Pro line had the ETS.
i think that, by offering a free IEM, he is preparing us to the announcement that there won't be any ETS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back