Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 21, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #4,306 of 17,967
I have elan, ozar and sog. I mailed bob about getting sor but he told me i was good with ozar. Right off the bat, elan is the most immersive and detailed of em all, bone conduction has this magic that its almost impossible to imitate, following with that, if you ask me which i prefer of the 3 of em, ozar its my 2go, sound has this unique coherence that my choice for my everyday, it has an amazing balance in between all frequencies, bass needs more rumble imo but i can live with it, mids are worth it.

SOG has been collecting a bit of dust, not because i don’t like it, but cause i kinda got used to less bass lately, it has a beatiful sub bass that is undeniably what i expected for the ozar as a long time IMR fan. Nevertheless worth it.

Now elan doesnt have that bass that SOG packs, but it does have a an extra layer of detail that can go far into the instruments, a couple of tracks i can feel the actual pick or string bow going against the brass or the strings, its really something immersive, sometimes WAY TOO MUCH for me, in a couple of albums i feel overwhelmed by the detail but take it with a grain of salt, some enthusiasts are in need of that, whenever i need it i go straight to my elan
Hi, I would like to know, do you feel the price jump from the Ozar to the Elan is justified by the performance improvement on Elan?

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #4,307 of 17,967
Hi, I would like to know, do you feel the price jump from the Ozar to the Elan is justified by the performance improvement on Elan?
Mmmmmm that's a hard one... I would say... No, but just because I love so much the ozar and the sog that I think the bone conduction as amazing as it is, I don't see myself turning that much into it, the ozar I crave it, it's one of my favorite headphones out there and even stopped me from buying any other headphones. Watch out for the new zenith though. That will be in my opinion my end game. 14.2mm adlc it's bob's territory, the original zenith was my daily driver for almost 2 years, it wasn't perfect, it wasn't the best, but it had the best damn bass and sub bass out there for me, and I played with it til I found my perfect sound with different materials as filters and nozzle extensions etc.

If you ask me, I would wait for the next gen that is cooking and enjoy the ozar/ sor. It truly is something else

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #4,308 of 17,967
Mmmmmm that's a hard one... I would say... No, but just because I love so much the ozar and the sog that I think the bone conduction as amazing as it is, I don't see myself turning that much into it, the ozar I crave it, it's one of my favorite headphones out there and even stopped me from buying any other headphones. Watch out for the new zenith though. That will be in my opinion my end game. 14.2mm adlc it's bob's territory, the original zenith was my daily driver for almost 2 years, it wasn't perfect, it wasn't the best, but it had the best damn bass and sub bass out there for me, and I played with it til I found my perfect sound with different materials as filters and nozzle extensions etc.

If you ask me, I would wait for the next gen that is cooking and enjoy the ozar/ sor. It truly is something else
I see. So the stage, separation, and imaging of Elan is not substantially superior to Ozar, right?

the ozar I crave it, it's one of my favorite headphones out there and even stopped me from buying any other headphones.
I feel this way regarding the SOR. Reason why I have been thinking of getting the Elan for a bigger and more immersive stage with higher degree of separation and imaging. But that might change depending upon your answer to my previous question.

Is the zenith the one with the knob attached? I'm intrigued, but I would really prefer to have a hybrid from IMR at this point, to obtain a greater degree of separation, imaging, and stage. I just need an SOR with a bigger stage, more height and depth and width, a higher degree of separation - and I will be content. Hybrids do provide slightly better separation and imaging...may be 2 DD instead of 1 DD, or the return of Piezoelectric drivers...let's see what he has in store for us.

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #4,309 of 17,967
I see. So the stage, separation, and imaging of Elan is not substantially superior to Ozar, right?

I feel this way regarding the SOR. Reason why I have been thinking of getting the Elan for a bigger and more immersive stage with higher degree of separation and imaging. But that might change depending upon your answer to my previous question.

Is the zenith the one with the knob attached? I'm intrigued, but I would really prefer to have a hybrid from IMR at this point, to obtain a greater degree of separation, imaging, and stage. I just need an SOR with a bigger stage, more height and depth and width, a higher degree of separation - and I will be content. Hybrids do provide slightly better separation and imaging...may be 2 DD instead of 1 DD, or the return of Piezoelectric drivers...let's see what he has in store for us.
I got the dark matter from the current line up, 2 dd and bone conduction, the thing with bone conduction it’s that you can hear and feel every single detail in the mix… the problem its that its all in your head, the soundstage doesn’t go any wider, I think you would’ve been happy with edp 2 or edp 1, dd with planar, those 2 pairs are addictive, specially the first one, there’s no headphone that can reproduce drums and guitars like it, it has magic inside.

The soundstage in the elan it’s rather a room inside your head, it’s not small, everything is separated and vivid but you know it’s in your brain, it’s not like you’ll turn around or feel that there’s something outside as it happens with other 3d soundstage headphones. Do I like the elan? Yes, and I do find ir immersive, but again, the soundstage width sometimes puts me off

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #4,310 of 17,967
FB_IMG_1640120092946.jpg
FB_IMG_1640120086833.jpg
Looks like the new Zenith. A bid DD with clarity and resolution would be great.
Those black and white photos looks amazing, wish he kept em like that, the zenith with white and matte black would look so killer… I’m so in for the zenith, wish the knobs were more discrete or reworked but well, it is the return of my favorite imr headphone

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,311 of 17,967
Those black and white photos looks amazing, wish he kept em like that, the zenith with white and matte black would look so killer… I’m so in for the zenith, wish the knobs were more discrete or reworked but well, it is the return of my favorite imr headphone
Smaller knobs would be a nice touch, don't want my wife to call me Frankenstein.

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #4,312 of 17,967
I got the dark matter from the current line up, 2 dd and bone conduction, the thing with bone conduction it’s that you can hear and feel every single detail in the mix… the problem its that its all in your head, the soundstage doesn’t go any wider, I think you would’ve been happy with edp 2 or edp 1, dd with planar, those 2 pairs are addictive, specially the first one, there’s no headphone that can reproduce drums and guitars like it, it has magic inside.

The soundstage in the elan it’s rather a room inside your head, it’s not small, everything is separated and vivid but you know it’s in your brain, it’s not like you’ll turn around or feel that there’s something outside as it happens with other 3d soundstage headphones. Do I like the elan? Yes, and I do find ir immersive, but again, the soundstage width sometimes puts me off
With the SOR, I never really feel that the sound is all in my head. Sometimes, when the recording is, yes, but not always. In some tracks the sound expands nicely into the depth, beyond my head. Width wise I have felt it sometimes, but not always...in fact, most of the times I think I felt it is just beyond my head, not super beyond my head. However, I do agree that the height of stage is a bit restricted. May be Ozar has that missing height.

But Bob told me that Elan has a better stage than SOR...dammit, I think I'm just going to wait for what he brings in 2022.

Also, he specifically told me that Dark matter is not for me if I like the SOR's bass and do not want any more bass, Dark Matter is very much a bassheads iem.

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #4,313 of 17,967
With the SOR, I never really feel that the sound is all in my head. Sometimes, when the recording is, yes, but not always. In some tracks the sound expands nicely into the depth, beyond my head. Width wise I have felt it sometimes, but not always...in fact, most of the times I think I felt it is just beyond my head, not super beyond my head. However, I do agree that the height of stage is a bit restricted. May be Ozar has that missing height.

But Bob told me that Elan has a better stage than SOR...dammit, I think I'm just going to wait for what he brings in 2022.

Also, he specifically told me that Dark matter is not for me if I like the SOR's bass and do not want any more bass, Dark Matter is very much a bassheads iem.
Supposedly the Dark Matter has big bass but with great detail and clarity. There's always the possibility of using the grey lower nozzle and blue upper filters for better clarity and resolution with clear midrange. No idea what new filters Bob will bundle with these new IEMS.

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #4,314 of 17,967
I'm relatively new to to IMR having bought 5 sets over the last 12 months I have a good collection I've mostly been using the red and black filter combination. The Elan... Blew my mind with its cohesion and clarity but still that bass. Going back to the PB1 and Halcyon they sounded bloated wooly so experimented with nozzles and filters and boom sonic nirvana green bottom blue top they sound like completely different Iems in the best possible way. I love IMR looks like my CIEM days are done forever.
P. S.
I lost one of the open outer filters for my HALCYONs contacted Bob to buy a replacement, he sent me 2 for free with no postage charges what a gent, best customer service ever!

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #4,315 of 17,967
Going back to the PB1 and Halcyon they sounded bloated wooly so experimented with nozzles and filters and boom sonic nirvana green bottom blue top they sound like completely different Iems in the best possible way.
I agree, the Halcyon sounds best on lower bass filters!

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #4,316 of 17,967
I'm relatively new to to IMR having bought 5 sets over the last 12 months I have a good collection I've mostly been using the red and black filter combination. The Elan... Blew my mind with its cohesion and clarity but still that bass. Going back to the PB1 and Halcyon they sounded bloated wooly so experimented with nozzles and filters and boom sonic nirvana green bottom blue top they sound like completely different Iems in the best possible way. I love IMR looks like my CIEM days are done forever.
P. S.
I lost one of the open outer filters for my HALCYONs contacted Bob to buy a replacement, he sent me 2 for free with no postage charges what a gent, best customer service ever!
I usually go with grey/blue filters for best resolution and clarity.

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #4,317 of 17,967
In line with this, I would like to share the delightful experience I had with Bob.

You see, the Splash Of Red I received initially had a channel imbalance - the right side was louder than the left side. And it ate me from inside. When I reported the issue to him, he told me to burn it in for a few hours and then check. I burnt it in for more than 150 hours and the issue was still there. I sent a mail to him at night and went to sleep. Next day morning I got a mail that a replacement unit has been shipped to me, and I was requested to ship the defective units to him after I receive the new units!
Frankly, in my whole life, that is the best customer service experience I have ever had!

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #4,318 of 17,967

Since we're giving Bob a pat on the back... With left wire for my Elan, the sheath for the wire had some out of the connector housing a bit, exposing the wire. Performance not impacted, but I was concerned it would get worse over time. Definitely a delicate area.

I sent Bob a photo, asking if there was a way for me to carefully get it back into the housing. Instead, he sent me not one replacement, but three (all three cables that come with the Elan). Damn!

I've swapped a handful emails with him, and it's quite something to chat directly with the creator himself. Amazing.

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #4,319 of 17,967
Since we're giving Bob a pat on the back... With left wire for my Elan, the sheath for the wire had some out of the connector housing a bit, exposing the wire. Performance not impacted, but I was concerned it would get worse over time. Definitely a delicate area.

I sent Bob a photo, asking if there was a way for me to carefully get it back into the housing. Instead, he sent me not one replacement, but three (all three cables that come with the Elan). Damn!

I've swapped a handful emails with him, and it's quite something to chat directly with the creator himself. Amazing.
Bob is one of the true gents of this industry. And also one of the most interesting creators.

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #4,320 of 17,967
Enjoying some nice instrumental rock on my trusted IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red while doing a brisk morning walk:

20211215_082048.jpg

REALLY nice to to put a face to the words👍 and WOW your ears where made for IMR iem's. Merry Christmas & a Healthy and Prosperous New Year To All. 🎉🎶🎶🎶🎶

Users who are viewing this thread

Back