Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #3,886 of 18,128
Is this correct regarding what is normally called nozzle+small filter...the card says 'filter' on both sides...whereas with likes of LZ IEMs you'd say nozzle+small filters - to distiguish each part of the FR adjusting kit as some are same colour.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210911-130417_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210911-130417_Drive.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210911-130424_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210911-130424_Drive.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 0
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #3,887 of 18,128
Is this correct regarding what is normally called nozzle+small filter...the card says 'filter' on both sides...whereas with likes of LZ IEMs you'd say nozzle+small filters - to distiguish each part of the FR adjusting kit as some are same colour.
Nozzle is the first larger one for bass - filter is the smaller top for treble :)

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #3,888 of 18,128
I hear ya... honestly that is what is holding me back on trying one of the new models. So many have already been released in such a short time that it has muddled everything up and made it very confusing to keep track of them all. How many times have we heard "this is the best we can do for an iem and will be the last special release for the foreseeable future...". Wouldn't surprise me one bit if new models were available for pre-order before the Avalon is shipped in December.
Good point
Ive been in the Headphone / IEM world for a good 10 years now. Tried loads of different types of drivers.
Each one I learn something new from. It is kind of a pain with IMR releases but on the other hand I have really enjoyed and got a lot out hearing the differences and improvements in sound that Bob is constantly building upon. It must be mentioned that his dedication to the art and reasonable pricing are very welcome where some IEM companies charge far too much IMO in some cases :)
Its really been helpful also beginning to understand what I actually enjoy in terms of tonality versus what I imagine I want to hear!!
I assumed that I what I would want (I work with audio for a living) is a reference harmon type of sound signature but one thing I have learned from IMR is how much I actually enjoy a rich mid tone with weight and body.
Im not sure where I would be in this hobby if it wasn't for IMR !

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #3,889 of 18,128
Good point
Ive been in the Headphone / IEM world for a good 10 years now. Tried loads of different types of drivers.
Each one I learn something new from. It is kind of a pain with IMR releases but on the other hand I have really enjoyed and got a lot out hearing the differences and improvements in sound that Bob is constantly building upon. It must be mentioned that his dedication to the art and reasonable pricing are very welcome where some IEM companies charge far too much IMO in some cases :)
Its really been helpful also beginning to understand what I actually enjoy in terms of tonality versus what I imagine I want to hear!!
I assumed that I what I would want (I work with audio for a living) is a reference harmon type of sound signature but one thing I have learned from IMR is how much I actually enjoy a rich mid tone with weight and body.
Im not sure where I would be in this hobby if it wasn't for IMR !

Valid points, especially regarding the very reasonable pricing compared to others, but if you are buying a new model every 6 months or more to have the latest and greatest IMR offering, you won't be saving money. Bob knows what he is doing with his sales model and is fully aware of the HFer desire to upgrade their current iems when something better comes along.

So, which model provides the best "rich mid tone with weight and body?" That is my type of sound for sure!

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #3,890 of 18,128
Valid points, especially regarding the very reasonable pricing compared to others, but if you are buying a new model every 6 months or more to have the latest and greatest IMR offering, you won't be saving money. Bob knows what he is doing with his sales model and is fully aware of the HFer desire to upgrade their current iems when something better comes along.

So, which model provides the best "rich mid tone with weight and body?" That is my type of sound for sure!
He may indeed be a psychological sales genius or is just genuinely constantly working on improving, maybe even a combination of the two? :D He is also incredibly generous and helpful - Ive known him for many years

This is one of the reasons I talk about the differences here between the models - Its not that IMR IEMs are necessarily getting 'better'
These days I would say is more about offering different experiences of audio presentation

For me the semper is the TOTL end game = in terms of natural, organic and true to life sound. Very much like being IN a studio WITH the band playing
Where as with the New ADLC / CNT drivers you are getting a profound accuracy and with the Bone Conduction an enhanced 3d Holographic sound and instrument placement
Combined they very much offer the FEELING and the EXPERIENCE of listening to a band in a LIVE setting

This is one of the ways Im hearing the evolution of IMR - The ATEN range and the ADLC BC range

In this sense the qualities of both really are TOTL but how you want to experience the music maybe depends on whether you favour the ATEN driver led series of IMR or latest ADLC / BC drivers

That's just been my experience thus far. As always there is so much difference can be heard and experienced depending on audio quality, listening quality, Player, tips, cable, mood Etc Etc :)

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #3,891 of 18,128
Have PB1 arriving today. Trying to get a decent planar tri-brid that does not cost over £800 etc.

One observation of IMR, it's like a FOMO carousel..soon as you get the 'one', a new gen. is released...almost torturous.
....always wondering what the new bleeding edge one has over the former ToTL line IEM you bought a few months before.

Wonder what the total buy is for IMR owner over 3 or so years. Planar cans on a much slower renewal cycle.
if this is your first IMR it really is essential to make sure they have at least 300 hours on them :wink:

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #3,892 of 18,128
Have PB1 arriving today. Trying to get a decent planar tri-brid that does not cost over £800 etc.

One observation of IMR, it's like a FOMO carousel..soon as you get the 'one', a new gen. is released...almost torturous.
....always wondering what the new bleeding edge one has over the former ToTL line IEM you bought a few months before.

Wonder what the total buy is for IMR owner over 3 or so years. Planar cans on a much slower renewal cycle.
You're going to love them. I've had the Elysium and the Astra (and others) but my RAH are still hands down my favorite IMR to date. The Aten DD operates across the entire spectrum. The planar does what only a planar can, and Bob really dialled in the Piezo. Both the Elysium and Astra are phenomenol IEMs and perhaps technically better with the ADLC - but the RAH / PB1 is technical and musical! Just my opinion / impression. Consider yourself fortunate to get one.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #3,894 of 18,128
+1 on the Rah. The only way I can describe it is just "easy" or "effortless"
It takes you to where you want to go. Musical and into the music. Plug and play. I never think about anything else but the music when I'm listening to the Rah. I have the OM, while it is technically superior I occasionally find myself nitpicking the details. Kinda like checking your car for missed spots after it has been waxed, if that makes any sense. You know it looks great, but within that fine look, there's something that can make it even better. I guess that's what they call source dependent. So Rah is my go to, with the Opus Mia as my serious listening IEM.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #3,897 of 18,128
+1 on the Rah. The only way I can describe it is just "easy" or "effortless"
It takes you to where you want to go. Musical and into the music. Plug and play. I never think about anything else but the music when I'm listening to the Rah. I have the OM, while it is technically superior I occasionally find myself nitpicking the details. Kinda like checking your car for missed spots after it has been waxed, if that makes any sense. You know it looks great, but within that fine look, there's something that can make it even better. I guess that's what they call source dependent. So Rah is my go to, with the Opus Mia as my serious listening IEM.
Rah was indeed a steal for what it was priced. Expansive, grand sound. But it had a touch of sibilance that was showing up on some female voices etc.
However I don't regret owning them they were my favourites for a good while.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #3,898 of 18,128
Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #3,899 of 18,128
To go back to Avalon DD composition, and what CNT ADLC driver means. I was diging on IMR site for something else and noticed this:

"Created using a Carbon Nanotube substrate coated with an amorphous diamond like carbon coating, providing a superior strength diaphragm capable of super high speed motion changes for an ultra hi-res experience.

Seems like my suspicions are confirmed. Its a single driver, just made out of 2 different carbon compounds.

Quite interesting. But there is really little info about CNT properties and not many companies seem to use it.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #3,900 of 18,128

Users who are viewing this thread

Back