Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 9, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #3,856 of 18,115
Myself and holsen have owned the Astra - You can ask any questions you might have :)
I have a question: how would you compare the sound out of Semper with the sound of Astra? I have a Semper and since Astra is close to Avalon, I am wondering what to expect from this upgrade
Thanks

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #3,857 of 18,115
I have a question: how would you compare the sound out of Semper with the sound of Astra? I have a Semper and since Astra is close to Avalon, I am wondering what to expect from this upgrade
Thanks
I'll get back to you on thi s - busy day at work but it is an excellent question!
Quickly - though - I had some incredible WOW moments with Astra but the Semper is consistently brilliant with everything
So Astra would often rise above the Semper for specific moments but then would would drop down again for other albums :/

I think that technically, from Astra and going forward the IEM are 'technically' better BUT that doesn't necessarily that they will be practically better for some people. For me the Semper is perfectly and profoundly natural where as the Post Aten driver IMR's are more clever.
I very much appreciate how technically better the Post Aten driver IEMs are but I prefer the more natural realistic Aten driver IEMs.
Makes me thing TOTL Tube amp sound versus TOTL solid state amps - Both are sublime but are offering something different
I guess it depends what you want from your musical experience at the end of the day

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #3,858 of 18,115
I'll get back to you on thi s - busy day at work but it is an excellent question!
Quickly - though - I had some incredible WOW moments with Astra but the Semper is consistently brilliant with everything
So Astra would often rise above the Semper for specific moments but then would would drop down again for other albums :/

I think that technically, from Astra and going forward the IEM are 'technically' better BUT that doesn't necessarily that they will be practically better for some people. For me the Semper is perfectly and profoundly natural where as the Post Aten driver IMR's are more clever.
I very much appreciate how technically better the Post Aten driver IEMs are but I prefer the more natural realistic Aten driver IEMs.
Makes me thing TOTL Tube amp sound versus TOTL solid state amps - Both are sublime but are offering something different
I guess it depends what you want from your musical experience at the end of the day
Agree with you on Semper as I don’t own Astra. I love the big stage and the organic mids. I do notice Semper benefit on higher gain on DAP. It my current IMR go-to iem at the moment :)

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #3,859 of 18,115
I agree that Semper is an excellent IEM. However, it can sound a little dark with some songs. I don't know if the new drivers will make the new IEMs allrounders

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #3,860 of 18,115
I agree that Semper is an excellent IEM. However, it can sound a little dark with some songs. I don't know if the new drivers will make the new IEMs allrounders
What colours nozzle and filter do you normally use?

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #3,861 of 18,115
Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #3,862 of 18,115
[with my set up] Semper is as perfect and natural as i could ever wish for - pink/blue / foam tips / `sony wm1a

However if you find the semper a bit dark then the new adlc/cnt drivers should be right up your street
they have amazing energy and presence in the upper registers...although that may be more the bone drivers?
Not easy to differentiate

having heard both i dont think either is THE 'perfect' all rounder as they both excel in their own specific ways, although maybe the ozar or elan would fulfil this role?
As i say above i think it depends on what you want out of your music - a pure natural, organic sound or an ultra high definition, type of sound? :)
All of them are superb in their own ways though

edit: maybe the ozar or elan would fulfil this role?
i am finding though the Elan (ADLC-CNT -BC) is very sensitive to any changes - when i have it tuned perfectly to my Hidiz dap, its not quite right in tonality on The Sony
Because it so resolving and detailed it can be quite tricky to tame

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,863 of 18,115
Red-Red. Player is A&K SP1000M Gold
You could try using a brighter filter to open up the highs, I suppose. Or try wider-bore tips. The Semper can be a little veiled compared to other more mid-centric IEMs, but I would never call it dark personally.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #3,864 of 18,115
Sep 9, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #3,865 of 18,115
All this talk about Avalon being closer to Astra. Where is that speculation coming from? Driver set up?

Seems like some think that it will be a bit brighter? It that something to do with upper mids or treble?

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #3,866 of 18,115
All this talk about Avalon being closer to Astra. Where is that speculation coming from? Driver set up?

Seems like some think that it will be a bit brighter? It that something to do with upper mids or treble?
Good point - The Avalon has the same 70000 freq response as the Astra where as the Dark Matter 'only' goes up to 45000 and yet the Dark Matter says 'while adding a crispness to the treble' - He does NOT say this about Avalon yet they have the same 11mm adls and 6mm cnt drivers
TBH I dont want any more crispness on the highs - but then again he also says - the best bass immersion with clear midrange

Man I wish I could test them out first :/
Im finding to hard to imagine what each will actually sound like

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #3,867 of 18,115
Good point - The Avalon has the same 70000 freq response as the Astra where as the Dark Matter 'only' goes up to 45000 and yet the Dark Matter says 'while adding a crispness to the treble' - He does NOT say this about Avalon yet they have the same 11mm adls and 6mm cnt drivers
TBH I dont want any more crispness on the highs - but then again he also says - the best bass immersion with clear midrange

Id like to see FR graph. But i suspect tuning is not final yet.
I would like some good sparkle. As long as there are no lower treble peaks. Very sensitive to those and i feel like it usually drowns out mids if its too prominent.
I completely missed CNT drivers in it lol. What are they covering, mids? Or are they full range? I hope estats are doing treble?

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #3,868 of 18,115
Id like to see FR graph. But i suspect tuning is not final yet.
I would like some good sparkle. As long as there are no lower treble peaks. Very sensitive to those and i feel like it usually drowns out mids if its too prominent.
I completely missed CNT drivers in it lol. What are they covering, mids? Or are they full range? I hope estats are doing treble?
I don't know whats going on :) - He said the 6mm cnt is covering lows and rich mids at some point ???
Witchcraft - we should probably burn him

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #3,869 of 18,115
Myself and holsen have owned the Astra - You can ask any questions you might have :)
And I own the Elysium. Feel free to reach out with any questions that you might have.

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #3,870 of 18,115

I thought that Avalon only has an 11mm dlc driver, not the 6mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back