Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 4, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #1,757 of 17,967
It's not pretty. :thinking:

Screenshot_20210204-092205_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm happy to see Bob return to the older form: I have both Halcyon and Opus Mia, but end up spending more time with the Halcyon as I find the OM less comfortable (chunky and heavy). Then, I also find the Halcyon more neutral, but that's another story :)

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #1,758 of 17,967
I'm happy to see Bob return to the older form: I have both Halcyon and Opus Mia, but end up spending more time with the Halcyon as I find the OM less comfortable (chunky and heavy). Then, I also find the Halcyon more neutral, but that's another story :)

comfort depends on our ears, in my ears OM and PB2 are far better than RAH and Halcyon 😉

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #1,759 of 17,967
I'm glad I have no issues with the Semper. The fit is good to spend the whole day in them, like yesterday. I had plenty of fun with them.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,762 of 17,967
Hi everybody. I had halcyon, pb2 and semper playing on m11 pro. I upgraded now with BC and shandling m8. I think my head will shake. Sorry for my English, I speak French. I am happy to be with you .:beyersmile:
Bonjour Tiaa, welcome to the forums. :) Always great to read impressions and experiences from fellow lucky IMR owners!

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,763 of 17,967
IMR BC, Knight & EDP+ are now available to Pre-order!

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #1,765 of 17,967
would you guys say that playing brown noise at a fairly loud volume is a decent burn-in method?

My method uses 2 playlists.
Playlist 1 plays for 100-150hrs with brown, pink, white & violet noise with sweeps in between, in a loop.
Playlist 2 plays for 100hrs with music from all genres, shuffled.
All tracks are lossless with replay gain applied so volume is "normalized" between tracks and there's no clipping. Volume slightly louder than what you normally listen to - if you like it loud it's a good practice to sample listen and notice if everything is smooth on most difficult tracks (pay special attention to brown noise cleanliness and badly mastered tracks), then adjust volume accordingly - I broke a pair of Sennheiser HD595 long ago skipping this step.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #1,766 of 17,967
My method uses 2 playlists.
Playlist 1 plays for 100-150hrs with brown, pink, white & violet noise with sweeps in between, in a loop.
Playlist 2 plays for 100hrs with music from all genres, shuffled.
All tracks are lossless with replay gain applied so volume is "normalized" between tracks and there's no clipping. Volume slightly louder than what you normally listen to - if you like it loud it's a good practice to sample listen and notice if everything is smooth on most difficult tracks (pay special attention to brown noise cleanliness and badly mastered tracks), then adjust volume accordingly - I broke a pair of Sennheiser HD595 long ago skipping this step.
Im not sure if it actually matters but Ive always found the method of blasting continuous noise to burn in a headphone a bit of a 'brute force' method?
Personally I would always recommend Johann Sebastian Bach - The Brandenburg Concertos to burn in as they famously contain all frequencies and having a great dynamic range so the headphones burn in in a more natural and varied manner :)

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #1,767 of 17,967
Im not sure if it actually matters but Ive always found the method of blasting continuous noise to burn in a headphone a bit of a 'brute force' method?

It kind of is.. but IMO the drivers are new, stiff, and need the workout. And it's not 100% continuous, it's 10 minutes brown followed by 1 minute sweep, then 10 minutes pink & 1 minute sweep, then 10 minutes white & 1 minute sweep then 10 minutes violet & 1 minute sweep, & repeat. All tracks contain a few seconds of silence at the end, it's decent.
I can't think of a song that is perfectly balanced. Does it contain all frequencies? Perhaps. But are they equally represented or will it work the mids or lows more or less than the highs?
With colored noises you know exactly what you get: brown for low & low-mid workout, pink & white are balanced, violet is for highs. If brown plays as much as violet, both extreme ends of the spectrum receive equal attention.

LE: I'd be curious to know Bob's method, or how a manufacturer does it in-house.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #1,768 of 17,967
I'm testing PB2 after 160h burnin with stock cable, i switched to Ikko CTU-01 and i suggest it to every PB2's owner.
It doen't change timbre tuning, but remove a veil that stock cable has.
It's a cheap upgrade, later i'll test more expensive cables but Ikko CTU-01 pairs very very well with PB2

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #1,769 of 17,967
I can't think of a song that is perfectly balanced. Does it contain all frequencies? Perhaps. But are they equally represented or will it work the mids or lows more or less than the highs?
LE: I'd be curious to know Bob's method, or how a manufacturer does it in-house.
I wasn't really saying that AT you :) I was just adding a different method for consideration. (I work with audio for a living so perhaps I am biased!)
The Brandenburg Concertos are known for being unique in that they DO contain all frequencies + the music has great dynamics.

Burn in is always going to be a contentious issue...at least for those who haven't experienced it directly for themselves anyway !!
For those of us who have done this 100's of times using the same methods its quite clearly a thing :wink:
(all be it to a lesser or greater degree depending on each individual IEM in question)

I know of only ONE company that does some degree of burn in but I think the practicalities of burning in THOUSANDS of IEMs or headphones for each production is just not going to happen.
A lot of companies do actually suggest burn in but I have noticed a lot of them say it in a subtle way such as on the bottom of a product page or the back of an included booklet
IMR has been quite a blessing in the burn in debate because I and certainly many others have reported never having heard such a prominent change in how their IMR IEM's sound from out-of-the-box - through the horrible sounding 40-80 hour period and finally the glorious reveal from 160-200 hour mark

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,770 of 17,967
I'm testing PB2 after 160h burnin with stock cable, i switched to Ikko CTU-01 and i suggest it to every PB2's owner.
It doen't change timbre tuning, but remove a veil that stock cable has.
It's a cheap upgrade, later i'll test more expensive cables but Ikko CTU-01 pairs very very well with PB2
Tips like this are always much appreciated
but you say the PB2 has a veil? Do you mean like the infamous Sennheiser veil ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back