Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,726 of 18,081
My order of SpiralDot++ from MTMTAudio came today and I slapped a pair on the Semper (blue on silver). I haven't taken them out of my ears since. Been sitting here, listening to my jazz playlist on Tidal, fully immersed in music. Such great sound. On the one hand it's a pity Bob only made 99 of those, but on the other I'm glad to own one of them.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,727 of 18,081
I've gotten a little curious about the ADLC and here's what I found on Campfire's site

At the heart of the Vega is a single full-range dynamic driver. Using our signature A.D.L.C. (**amorphous diamond-like carbon) coating material, we have created a unique lightweight and rigid diaphragm. These physical attributes increase the driver’s musical performance by reducing flex, improving detail, and reducing sonic distortion.
Regarding the Dorado they say

A single balanced armature augments our custom-tuned 10mm A.D.L.C. diaphragm dynamic driver. Leaving the sparkling highs to the B.A., this dynamic driver is afforded the space to dig in a bit deeper, reach a bit lower, and deliver rich and satisfying bass. Its vocal delivery is precise and pronounced. Dorado 2020 is very much a hybrid high fidelity earphone.

So, you take the ADLC, a new gen Planar, Bob's tuning and you've another champion!

"amorphous", that's a really odd adjective to use, on a platform where precision and uniformity are expected. When you take into account the *synonyms: that's what I look for in a mid-priced IEM, a vague implementation, of the dynamic driver's composition.

*Synonyms:
shapeless
formless
unformed
unshaped
structureless
unstructured
indeterminate
indefinite
vague

**amor·phous | \ ə-ˈmȯr-fəs \
1a : having no definite form : shapeless an amorphous cloud mass. b : being without definite character or nature : unclassifiable an amorphous segment of society. c : lacking organization or unity an amorphous style of writing.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #1,728 of 18,081
"amorphous", that's a really odd adjective to use, on a platform where precision and uniformity are expected. When you take into account the *synonyms: that's what I look for in a mid-priced IEM, a vague implementation, of the dynamic driver's composition.

*Synonyms:
shapeless
formless
unformed
unshaped
structureless
unstructured
indeterminate
indefinite
vague

1a : having no definite form : shapeless an amorphous cloud mass. b : being without definite character or nature : unclassifiable an amorphous segment of society. c : lacking organization or unity an amorphous style of writing.
Nice! Yes there are literal translations - I'm married to a German so trust me I know - but then there's artistry of English, and in the context of music, with amorphous, I hear synonymous meanings like, liquid, formless, shapeless, flowing like water......

Anyway, I'm excited by what Bob is up to.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #1,729 of 18,081
The language used to describe sound is nebulous enough as it is, with people ascribing different meanings and interpretations to things like, for example, bass quality and quantity. The ADLC is a term used to describe driver technology, so it should be precise and specific, not left up to the individual interpretation of each and every reader.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,731 of 18,081
Been reading about ADLC and not sure whether below snipped from text if similar to what Bob is using, we are in for more immersive fun time with the new model. And the reason why BC is interesting coz ADLC will be covering the midrange and treble sections.

the amorphous diamond-like carbon coating (ADLC) defining a mixture of sp3-structure diamond and sp2-structural ure graphite carbon which can effectively enhance the details, clarity and fidelity of music based on the high hardness, excellent heat conductivity as well as treble vibration frequency up to 70 KHz, so as to satisfy the requirements of high-end market consumers.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #1,732 of 18,081
I'm interested to see what Bob has come up with. Amorphous coatings are common in thin film applications like an IEM driver would have, and some have really interesting properties (being vague isn't one of them, it's a physics term). :smile:
I'm also wondering how it differs from the DLC coatings other drivers have had previously.

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #1,734 of 18,081

*Synonyms:
shapeless
formless
unformed
unshaped
structureless
unstructured
indeterminate
indefinite
vague

I think it goes more in the direction of an amorphous solid, which means a non-crystallized solid material.
Wikipedia

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,736 of 18,081
Mail came in.

Semper playing out of my Shanling M6 over NiceHCK'S Dark Jade cable through the ddHifi 2.5 mm to 4.4 mm adapter. SpiralDot++ eartips. That's the Semper dolled-up all the way :D
Damn but this cable has a premium feel. Heavy, slightly rigid, and I like how the colour goes with the Semper shells. The 2-pin connectors are a bit on the long side so they protrude slightly from the sockets, but on the upside they fit without any filing.

Since I get all my balanced cables in 2.5 mm because of BTR5 I got the adapter to save on having to also get 4.4 mm cables for the M6 (I find the 4.4 mm port more secure). It does the job, fit on both ends is secure, but most importantly - I can hear no detrimental effect on sound.

IMG_20210203_124737.jpg

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #1,737 of 18,081
It must be difficult to drum whilst doing long runs ! My respects :) Anyway.. what would be your go-to albums for checking drum sounds?
I enjoy Joe Walsh - Country Fair [SACD] for tonality, Band of Gypsies - Machine Gun . . . a couple that I also have a quick check with on new IEMs. What are your favs ?

Difficult but not impossible if you are chased by listeners...😄 Eh, lucky is the man who can write in his language....😄
My favs for drums are all well recorded albums in my music/albums collection. In particular i like Warren Zevon's album and "Running on empty" a live album by Jackson Browne with Russell Kunkel sitting on drums. Kunkel has a peculiar way to play drums and uses a "strange" heads tuning with deep and wide toms, snare and kick and crispy but very clean cymbals and Hi-Hat. Two other very good albums i like for their drum rendition are two Italian albums. Both are by Fabrizio De André and on both of them drummer is Ellade Bandini, if not the best one of the best italian drummers (no, i'm not Ellade 😄). The first album title is "Creuza De Ma'" (Path to the sea). This is an italian album but lyrics are not in italian, texts in Zeneise, the old language of my town, Genoa. The second title is "Le Nuvole" (The Clouds). Here lyrics are part in Zeneise, part in italian and a pair in neapolitan. They are both masterworks IMHO. Ending, another good album for general iem testing is "Rumours" by Fletwood Mac. 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #1,738 of 18,081
Mail came in.

Semper playing out of my Shanling M6 over NiceHCK'S Dark Jade cable through the ddHifi 2.5 mm to 4.4 mm adapter. SpiralDot++ eartips. That's the Semper dolled-up all the way :D
Damn but this cable has a premium feel. Heavy, slightly rigid, and I like how the colour goes with the Semper shells. The 2-pin connectors are a bit on the long side so they protrude slightly from the sockets, but on the upside they fit without any filing.

Since I get all my balanced cables in 2.5 mm because of BTR5 I got the adapter to save on having to also get 4.4 mm cables for the M6 (I find the 4.4 mm port more secure). It does the job, fit on both ends is secure, but most importantly - I can hear no detrimental effect on sound.

IMG_20210203_124737.jpg
Nice cable. Where did you buy it? Is it pure silver or silver plated copper?

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,739 of 18,081
Nice cable. Where did you buy it? Is it pure silver or silver plated copper?
It's NiceHCK's DarkJade. Graphene Silver Plated OCC according to the product page, but I got it more for the looks than anything else. @holsen said this cable is actually made by XINHS as OEM and a similar looking cable is available from him, just 4-core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back