Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 1, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #1,697 of 18,083
Only for my sake of mind. Some here writes about peaks in frequency response etc. My question is: Do you use a measure instrument or, if not, how can you quantify the real frequency irregularities and so write about X KHz peak without an instrument to measure them but only listening to music. 😄😄😄

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #1,698 of 18,083
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,699 of 18,083
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #1,700 of 18,083
Only for my sake of mind. Some here writes about peaks in frequency response etc. My question is: Do you use a measure instrument or, if not, how can you quantify the real frequency irregularities and so write about X KHz peak without an instrument to measure them but only listening to music. 😄😄😄
When people say 'There is this spike or that spike' - There is no inherent 'spikes' in IMR IEMs - they are far too well tuned for that to happen. What they are saying is that - with their current set up, for whatever reason there is something noticeable. I think I am on my 7th IMR iem and have yet to experience any issues due to poor or incorrect tuning. there are some tunings I have preferred to others but nothing that cannot be adjusted due to the skilful use of different tips, cables, filters etc etc. point being here - you have nothing to worry about! :)

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #1,701 of 18,083
Feb 1, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #1,702 of 18,083
When people say 'There is this spike or that spike' - There is no inherent 'spikes' in IMR IEMs - they are far too well tuned for that to happen. What they are saying is that - with their current set up, for whatever reason there is something noticeable. I think I am on my 7th IMR iem and have yet to experience any issues due to poor or incorrect tuning. there are some tunings I have preferred to others but nothing that cannot be adjusted due to the skilful use of different tips, cables, filters etc etc. point being here - you have nothing to worry about! :)

Here you can find measurements: Link
They are not made by me, but the measurements were madewith my PB2.
Unfortunately all descriptions are in German (first picture is upper and lower gold filter, last picture is purple low and different upper filters, with and without selfmade filter inserts).
Please note, this is not an industry standard measurement setup but correlates good with my and onthers listening experiences with the PB2.

So there can be some "spikes" seen. A broader one at around 2kHz and at around 5kHz and a smaller one at around 8-9kHz.

Tips can make a huge difference, but it is very hard to change several dB with cables. :wink:
It is also not the goal to get rid of all the peaks because than the characteristic of the PB2 is gone.
It is more a tuning to my own perception and unfortunatley for me, the filters which came with the PB2 are not enough for me.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,703 of 18,083
Please note, this is not an industry standard measurement setup but correlates good with my and onthers listening experiences with the PB2.
So there can be some "spikes" seen. A broader one at around 2kHz and at around 5kHz and a smaller one at around 8-9kHz.
Tips can make a huge difference, but it is very hard to change several dB with cables. :wink:
It is also not the goal to get rid of all the peaks because than the characteristic of the PB2 is gone.
It is more a tuning to my own perception and unfortunatley for me, the filters which came with the PB2 are not enough for me.
The measurements look pretty good tbh. No disrespect intended at all here. You hear what you hear and I fully respect that.
One has to be a little careful though when 'reporting' such things as being an inherent characteristic or FAULT as language can be confused.
I have a number of amps and DAP's which all can sometimes make an IEM sound quite different.
Also burn in especially with IMR products has
been widely reported to make a huge difference in sound...more so than any other IEM I have ever heard about !

When you report a 'spike' though, this 'can' mean an intentional unwelcome addition by the person who tuned it and is also reported
by everyone [in the community] as a characteristic of that IEM - Im not sure if Im remembering correctly but wasn't the Tin 2 pro or Tin 3 widely reported as having a nasty spike that added far too much treble? Certainly in recent times Chinese IEM's have been often tuned to be quite bright...sometimes too bright for Western ear tastes.
Anyway, that said I haven't heard the PB2 so I my be talking boolocks :)

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,705 of 18,083
The measurements look pretty good tbh. No disrespect intended at all here. You hear what you hear and I fully respect that.
One has to be a little careful though when 'reporting' such things as being an inherent characteristic or FAULT as language can be confused.
I have a number of amps and DAP's which all can sometimes make an IEM sound quite different.
Also burn in especially with IMR products has
been widely reported to make a huge difference in sound...more so than any other IEM I have ever heard about !

When you report a 'spike' though, this 'can' mean an intentional unwelcome addition by the person who tuned it and is also reported
by everyone [in the community] as a characteristic of that IEM - Im not sure if Im remembering correctly but wasn't the Tin 2 pro or Tin 3 widely reported as having a nasty spike that added far too much treble? Certainly in recent times Chinese IEM's have been often tuned to be quite bright...sometimes too bright for Western ear tastes.
Anyway, that said I haven't heard the PB2 so I my be talking boolocks :)

No disrespect taken. I am sorry, I also quoted the wrong post, I wanted to answer to the post from ludwig1968 as he was asking about measurements.
And I think I was using the term peak and not spike which I think is more neutral. Spike is something pointy, sharp and potentially dangerous. But Englisch is not my native language, so I may be wrong that peak is more neutral.
So my, main point is, that for me, the PB2 is not such a straight forward recommendation as other IMR in ears.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #1,706 of 18,083
So my, main point is, that for me, the PB2 is not such a straight forward recommendation as other IMR in ears.
:D I suspected as much.
Im surprised though as on paper the PB2 should be magnificent ! - Have you given it [at least] 160 hours of burn in?
Also, i wonder if this is a case of not getting the best synergy?
Sometimes certain headphones just so not suite your current player, sometimes you need more power...the list goes on
I would also be curios (as with my Opus Mia) just what the Electrostat drivers are doing - what and how Bob has tuned them
Please tell me more though, you have me curious. With all the IMR Iems Ive owned though Ice often had quite the relationship with each one
I love them for this
I bought one of the ATEN's last week, one of the last B-Stock units and Im blown away to find it outperforming the Opus Mia in every way !!
Which o paper shouldn't technically be possible :)

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #1,707 of 18,083
:D I suspected as much.
Im surprised though as on paper the PB2 should be magnificent ! - Have you given it [at least] 160 hours of burn in?
Also, i wonder if this is a case of not getting the best synergy?
Sometimes certain headphones just so not suite your current player, sometimes you need more power...the list goes on
I would also be curios (as with my Opus Mia) just what the Electrostat drivers are doing - what and how Bob has tuned them
Please tell me more though, you have me curious. With all the IMR Iems Ive owned though Ice often had quite the relationship with each one
I love them for this
I bought one of the ATEN's last week, one of the last B-Stock units and Im blown away to find it outperforming the Opus Mia in every way !!
Which o paper shouldn't technically be possible :)
what do you mean when you say that aten is superior to opus? did you like tonality and a smoother presentation? because conventionally low frequencies on opuses are much better and deeper, you can also say about the upper part of the middle frequencies. As for pb2, I think here we need to look at the porta fi review and it will be clear there that this model is with a rather strong emphasis on mid frequencies, which makes them not universal, I will assume that this is exactly the problem

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,709 of 18,083
My question was another, i know well IMR sound signature, my first IMR iem was a pair of R1 and after these, others IMR models, almost all. I don't understand how is possible write 8 KHz peak, 4 KHz spike or similar. Where they found the frequency value? Lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back