Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,501 of 17,967
Doesn't the green filter completely kill the treble though?
I too noticed that the green top filter did not subdue the treble as much as the gold filter for my PB2 setup. I use the green top filter with purple bass filter and very satisfied with this combo. Again stages of burn-in, choice of eartips/cables and signature of the source device may have varying degrees influence on the final sound.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #1,502 of 17,967
I think it was out of the BTR5. I listened to it for a moment, decided it sounded awful and went back to my usual combo.
But I'll give it a try on the Semper to see what it sounds like in that configuration. I've already downgraded the bass nozzle to silver. I think green is just a step below that. Though I fear what going from blue filter to green will result in :D

Yes give it a try , but you don't have to stick to green filter, the green nozzle opens up the soundstage . It works with other filters too :wink:

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,504 of 17,967
Wow, that's a lot of bass I assume, especially with The M8 from what I've heard
I use pure silver cable on opus mia and Azla sedna earfit short, not too much bass at all.
Bass dig very well but it’s tight and fast.

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #1,506 of 17,967
Jan 12, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,508 of 17,967
Very dangerous headfier! 😜
Anyway how is things with semper?
I didn’t listen to PB2 What 😳

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,509 of 17,967
Can someone please explain to me how source impedance works? On LG V30 the OMs trigger the Quad DAC in Normal mode for headphones under 50 ohms, which they are.
If I plug in am empty splitter first, it triggers the Quad DAC in AUX mode which is good for 750ohms.

Why does OM sound better in AUX mode? Sounds fuller, has more punch & authority. Does OM really benefit from it or am I placeboing?

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #1,510 of 17,967
Very dangerous headfier! 😜
Anyway how is things with semper?
I didn’t listen to PB2 What 😳

Well I managed 50 hours play time and was very very happy with the direction they were sounding but I returned them the week after receiving them. I've seen a few people have fit issues and this was why I returned them too as I had literal pain and this was all due to the angle of the nozzle, which is forwards and down where as I need upwards and straight/backwards. If I switched left and right sides the nozzle was perfect and even sat flush and super comfortable but I refuse to have to live with using them like that even if the sound was something I have been searching for. Whilst a small price in financial terms relative to many of the complete nonsense pricing audio items, to me it was at my limit of both what I do not want to spend over and also my limit of what I can actually afford pay.

At least I know what Bob is capable of and I experienced them even for a short while. I feel Bob is still just warming up and super looking forwards to what will be his next ultimate model.

I'm content now with Red on Fiio UTWS1 and they will get the UTWS3 probably.
Zenith on my DJM600 which sound incredible for daily everyday everything use.
PB One and R2 Aten on the 789 and Fiio A5 and BTR5 depending on situation and style of sound signature required when I wish to really be into my music. So yes I have all I need for my requirements except for the ultimate super club experience. I have a few years left in me yet so I can wait another 20 years lol.

You have not listened to PB2? What's your plan?

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #1,511 of 17,967
Can someone please explain to me how source impedance works? On LG V30 the OMs trigger the Quad DAC in Normal mode for headphones under 50 ohms, which they are.
If I plug in am empty splitter first, it triggers the Quad DAC in AUX mode which is good for 750ohms.

Why does OM sound better in AUX mode? Sounds fuller, has more punch & authority. Does OM really benefit from it or am I placeboing?

I've no experience with the V30 and if the output impedance changes but I guess the Aux mode as you say will power higher ohm loads which will offer more voltage which gives more power in watts which then gives greater control over the drivers which is the more punch and authority you say plus more volume.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #1,512 of 17,967
Wow, that's a lot of bass I assume, especially with The M8 from what I've heard

I wonder how many of us are calling the silver nozzle "grey", and other way around :) I wish Bob used a better colour system...

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,513 of 17,967
I wonder how many of us are calling the silver nozzle "grey", and other way around :) I wish Bob used a better colour system...
I don't think I got them confused 😃. But I agree , with silver/grey and pink/red nozzles some more contrasting colours would have been better. Maybe a real purple instead of pink, a bright yellow instead of silver or grey.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,514 of 17,967
I've no experience with the V30 and if the output impedance changes but I guess the Aux mode as you say will power higher ohm loads which will offer more voltage which gives more power in watts which then gives greater control over the drivers which is the more punch and authority you say plus more volume.

Is it risky for the headphones or is the higher available wattage ok as long as the volume is kept in check?
It appears to me that along with the more authoritative punch, fuller mids and better layering down low there's a bit more presence in the upper highs too, as if the electrostat found a new voice :)
I'd very much like to keep this mode as long as there's no risk to damage the IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,515 of 17,967
I gave the Semper with green/green a try. I don't mind the low amount of bass, but I didn't really hear an improvement in soundstage. What I did notice is how this combination brought the vocals forward a bit, making the Semper more intimate. Unfortunately, it also added sibilance. It's back to blue-on-silver for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back