Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,516 of 18,017
Is it risky for the headphones or is the higher available wattage ok as long as the volume is kept in check?

It's fine. Keep the volume in check, they can handle more than you can take and your not using all the power available. I use a 6 watts per channel THX 789 amplifier but I'm not actually using anywhere near 6 watts.

Think of amp power like a car. Would you rather drive sat at 80 miles an hour with a 1 litre engine or a 3 litre. Power is dynamics and control, you have more headroom available. Imagine driving at 80 and then wanting to overtake something, you need that big engine again to quickly pick up speed.

Voltage is volume like horse power is high speed.
Amps is control to quickly control the drivers like torque is what gets a car moving.
Neither car or speakers need high power to make them go but both are way better with more power, even if we don't use it all all the time.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,517 of 18,017
I gave the Semper with green/green a try. I don't mind the low amount of bass, but I didn't really hear an improvement in soundstage. What I did notice is how this combination brought the vocals forward a bit, making the Semper more intimate. Unfortunately, it also added sibilance. It's back to blue-on-silver for me.
My M15 is more bass heavy so compared to BTR5 maybe the perception of soundstage seems wider with that setup for me. I also have the Btr5 , paired with Semper is more prone sibilance. I have to crank up the volume a lot when I switch to Semper on M15 , so It likes a lot of power and it scales well compared to lower powered sources. I am looking at a warmer source actually to pair with Semper and Mest. Shanling M8 might be a good option.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,518 of 18,017
My M15 is more bass heavy so compared to BTR5 maybe the perception of soundstage seems wider with that setup for me. I also have the Btr5 , paired with Semper is more prone sibilance. I have to crank up the volume a lot when I switch to Semper on M15 , so It likes a lot of power and it scales well compared to lower powered sources. I am looking at a warmer source actually to pair with Semper and Mest. Shanling M8 might be a good option.
Maybe I'll try again on Shanling M6.
Though I can't really tell the difference in soundstage.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,519 of 18,017

@bro M8 is stunning also with Opus Mia, it has a touch of warmth on midbass but everything is coherent and has a good transparency on mids highs, bass is thight but dig a lot!!
First hours didn't sound like now, and i play with it only 35h.
Hiss? nothing, M8 is dead silent!

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,520 of 18,017
@bro M8 is stunning also with Opus Mia, it has a touch of warmth on midbass but everything is coherent and has a good transparency on mids highs, bass is thight but dig a lot!!
First hours didn't sound like now, and i play with it only 35h.
Hiss? nothing, M8 is dead silent!
Yes, nothing but good impressions for the M8 from what I've heard.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,521 of 18,017
Damn, what a ride with mr pb2, from “this was the worse thing I’ve ever own” to “man... this is stunning”

Right now: micropore on top of the electrostat (it doesn’t affect it that much, though it helps taming when a bad recording comes in) blue bottom/ green filter
Tips are the dunu stock from the dk2001, love the orange color, though i was having a blast with acoustune a08’s, source is 9038s g3 s3000 with 3rd harmonic enabled, I’m truly impressed, this set has become outstanding, i texted Bob and were chatting about the highs, he said “give it 200 hours” i was reluctant at the beginning, just like “come on, this wont change man” oh was i so wrong...

Though Caveat emptor: this are source dependent and truly a pain in the ass to get right, they HATE bad recordings, if zenith hated bad recordings, this just goes all against your ears, as well they love power, they hate weak sources. So, i made paces with em, now we can keep going.

Funnily, my opus Mia are becoming more and more used as my “fun” pair. Though i just have this thing with my zeniths, they sound great... sort of... lately I’ve been more demanding and they have some kilometers on em already. Right now using silver (the dark one) blue on em, and ... well.. zeniths

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,523 of 18,017
For anyone interested, my review of the KBEAR Limpid Pro 8 strand cable is here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kb-ear-audio-impressions-thread.912673/post-16103282
Very nice write-up. I am one that doesn't hear differences with different cables. However the sheer fact that this polarising argument exists and a lot of people attest to not hearing an improvement is enough for me to conclude that it can be placebo effect or the differences are negligible at best. So I won't waste my time and money on it. This is just me. YMMV

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,524 of 18,017
It's crazy because in all of my cables, from occ litz silver to occ copper/silver plated copper (all@least 21awg or better) ones all alter the sound noticeably!

I'm just po'ed that I cant used any of them on my Semper because of the recessed sockets!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,525 of 18,017
It's very much a lottery. So far there have been only one third-party cable that fit the Semper sockets without any filing down of the connectors - the Dunu Hulk.
I had similar trouble with my LZ A6 though. Even the stock cable in the 2-pin model was very difficult to install. I finally replaced it with a Faaeal Hibiscus cable and it fit in perfectly.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #1,527 of 18,017
It's very much a lottery. So far there have been only one third-party cable that fit the Semper sockets without any filing down of the connectors - the Dunu Hulk.
I had similar trouble with my LZ A6 though. Even the stock cable in the 2-pin model was very difficult to install. I finally replaced it with a Faaeal Hibiscus cable and it fit in perfectly.
I believe @flu_fighter is using a NiceHCK cable on the Semper

I am using a cheaper graphene silver-plated copper cable which I find is quite a good match with the EDP and the Semper
using the nicehck darkjade which was less than US$100 during the 12/12 sales period

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #1,530 of 18,017
why buying other cables? The stock cables are excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back