Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 28, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #11,852 of 18,273
Anyone who tries to dictate what people write about or need to say on this thread are playing with moral and ethical fire. All peoples views are valid and critique of IMR not delivering their IEMs is valid. To suppress truth is a seriously unethical situation. I have probably eulogised IMR more than criticized them, but we are talking about people's concerns here and to be told what can be written on this thread is plain wrong and unethical. To validate IMRs poor business ethics is plain wrong. I would rather listen to serious concerns than pretend things are OK. I am an an IMR fan but not a suppressor of the truth. I will gladly leave this thread if people on here think I am wrong.

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #11,853 of 18,273
Moving forward - This thread is for imr-audio-sonic-adventures-impressions
If you wish you are free to make another thread but, respectfully, the majority of us here only really want to share and talk about the IEM themselves

Don't worry. I have fully understood your suggestion.
Have a nice day

Nothing personal to, or at anyone. We are all the same here in wanting to enjoy beautiful music in the best possible way
We are all in accord with each other and understand and appreciate our shared frustrations . . . it's just that . . . well, personally, I can find negativity & anger everywhere I look without any effort :/

There is a a great bunch of Audiophile musical loving nutjobs and lunatics here in this thread/forum. We can all have a grumble from time to time and not be judged for it of course . . . but I would suggest it can easily get a bit too much and effortlessly spiral
where as keeping a good heart and humour takes a lot more effort...its kinda worth it and everyone gets a little something out of it but as @bk123 rightly points out we all free to do what we want :D

Of course I haven't REALLY 'drawn a line' - That would be MENTAL !!

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #11,854 of 18,273
Anyone who tries to dictate what people write about or need to say on this thread are playing with moral and ethical fire.

All peoples views are valid and critique of IMR not delivering their IEMs is valid.

To suppress truth is a seriously unethical situation., but we are talking about people's concerns here and to be told what can be written on this thread is plain wrong and unethical.

To validate IMRs poor business ethics is plain wrong. I would rather listen to serious concerns than pretend things are OK.

I am an an IMR fan but not a suppressor of the truth.
None of the above has been said or done

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #11,855 of 18,273
If I can just shut myself up for 5 minutes I do have thoughts to share on BC 2023 for example - just giving a couple more hundred hours burn in :)

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #11,856 of 18,273
After the wife purloined my Aten I nipped onto ebay and picked up the R2 Aten for £95 from pre-loved audio got to say I think it sounds better than the newer Aten a great walkabout set.

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #11,857 of 18,273
After the wife purloined my Aten I nipped onto ebay and picked up the R2 Aten for £95 from pre-loved audio got to say I think it sounds better than the newer Aten a great walkabout set.
There is something really special about the early Aten drivers. In some ways I am MORE impressed by the qualities that they managed to get out of those single drivers than many of the more technically competent multi driver IEMs
Reminds me of such classics as the vintage 540 / 560 Sennheiser's from the 1990's that even today still outshine most of what's on the market today, in many ways

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #11,858 of 18,273
At the moment my favourite IMR IEM is the BC2023. I love it's timbre and tone particularly. How can I find out the driver specs sizewise. I did email Bob, but got no reply. I'm not a graph boy, but I do like to know the specs of my IEMs. How can I find out the specs of the Bass Cannon 2023?
The issue with FR graphs for IMRs!
I'd love to see some as well. I did ask them by email myself at some time but like you got no response about this.
Very curious to see graphs of IMR units at least with the black filter combo.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #11,859 of 18,273
The impression might change more when I have tried to change out filters. Its a very good IEM and punches above its price IMO.
Running Blue lower filters, with Red top filter after about 200 hours with New Bee foam tips. Not sure what your running , but on some music the Blue top is too hot for me, and the Back lower seems to overwhelm to my ears.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #11,860 of 18,273
Running Blue lower filters, with Red top filter after about 200 hours with New Bee foam tips. Not sure what your running , but on some music the Blue top is too hot for me, and the Back lower seems to overwhelm to my ears.

With these newer ADLC drivers they NEED at least 500 hours to fully settle down. Many people here have found that often during the burn in process around the 200 hour and beyond point their IEM's can sound 'off' or difficult to get 'right' and then something magical happens much later..for me it was 500 with BC but more like 600 for the ACE.
Its a bit odd that always seems to be the case with all IMR IEMs but time and time again this seems to be the case

Someone mentioned about on the website where it states 'use well recorded & mastered music'
I think this is the curse and the blessing of very high quality well tuned IEMs - They reveal what is there on the recording and when something is not mixed or mastered well, it becomes very evident.

IMR IEMs scale up profoundly well - They sound great but the higher the quality of source you use the more they shine

Another thing Ive started to realize is that [for my ears ]Bob tunes his highs pretty close to the edge. They are not sibilant and are 'crystal clear' but Im finding in general the highs can be a bit too much for me (not in a bad or badly tuned way, just for my preference) - Ive had some fun and success adding some extra foam inside the gold upper filters.

I also find the newbee tips to be perfect :)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #11,861 of 18,273
Peace

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #11,862 of 18,273
With these newer ADLC drivers they NEED at least 500 hours to fully settle down. Many people here have found that often during the burn in process around the 200 hour and beyond point their IEM's can sound 'off' or difficult to get 'right' and then something magical happens much later..for me it was 500 with BC but more like 600 for the ACE.
Its a bit odd that always seems to be the case with all IMR IEMs but time and time again this seems to be the case... :)
If you are right about those burn-in times one will have to wait for quite a while then :wink: .

Maybe it might be more about mental burn-in after the initial ca. 300 hours though?

Anyway, as someone tending to be generally sceptical about effects of burn-in I have to admit, that the changes in the sound signature on the Rah were quite clearly perceivable in my case. And since I only listened to them 3x for about 5-10 min. in each session during the last ~280 hours that perception hardly could have to do with mental burn-in effects...

Well we will see in another >200 hours then...

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #11,863 of 18,273
If you are right about those burn-in times one will have to wait for quite a while then :wink: .

Maybe it might be more about mental burn-in after the initial ca. 300 hours though?

Anyway, as someone tending to be generally sceptical about effects of burn-in I have to admit, that the changes in the sound signature on the Rah were quite clearly perceivable in my case. And since I only listened to them 3x for about 5-10 min. in each session during the last ~280 hours that perception hardly could have to do with mental burn-in effects...

Well we will see in another >200 hours then...

All I can say is that that has been my experience following the same burn-in methods everytime
I think burn in becomes a bit more 'important' if your finding an aspect of an IEM that is a bit sharp, bloated or is just not quite right classic example being muddy bass or sharp highs fresh and new out of a box

Burn in skepticism is understandable if one hasn't experienced it ! Cool you seem open minded about it :)
Its an endless debate although those who experience it swear by it.
And those who deny it tend to have . . . never experienced it :D Go figure

Its difficult to deny ones own personal experience repeated time and time again.

I was erding some arguments about this and thinking about the argument that you 'just get used to the sound' but I dont think that follows because if that was simply the case then your mind would magically change it to how it likes it and then somehow keep that change and then magically go to that default every time you listen to that specific IEM ??! Maybe if you only had one IEM but if you have a few with different tunings I dont think that would work. Technically though
Its just not possible for consciousness to work that way...anyway, thats another story

If I dont like an aspect of an IEM its always there tbh but if that aspect goes after 500 hours burn in and never comes back then thats proof enough for me

What I am discovering more and more though is how profoundly your hearing experience changes throughout the day and can be effected big time by tiredness, mood etc etc.

There is a lot more to the 'listening mind' than I think is obvious

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #11,864 of 18,273
If Rah is similar to ACE, then it will take at least 500-600 hours to reach full maturity. I would never have believed it until I went through the entire burn in cycle with my ACE. After about 200 hours I considered selling it. But I stuck with it and after about 500 hours or so it blossomed into one of the best IEMs I've ever owned.

Feb 28, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #11,865 of 18,273
If Rah is similar to ACE, then it will take at least 500-600 hours to reach full maturity. I would never have believed it until I went through the entire burn in cycle with my ACE. After about 200 hours I considered selling it. But I stuck with it and after about 500 hours or so it blossomed into one of the best IEMs I've ever owned.
Can I ask how you power your ACE and what filters you are on.
I was really surprised at how much better, more controlled and cohesive with much better authority and especially note weight when playing through an amp the ACE suddenly sounded o_0. They say planars need power but I half dismissed that being as they are so small in the ACE! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back