Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #8,611 of 18,273
So, I have a weird, and perhaps a little funny story to share. I decided to bling out my IMRs a little and bought colour-matching Openheart cables for my Avalon and Elysium. They arrived yesterday, and after some initial excitement my face immediately fell when it turned out that for some reason the black cable produces channel imbalance in the Avalon (left side plays louder) and some other IEMs I have (including the original EDP, Aten 5G, and Semper). To make matters even more weird, the silvery-brown cable also produces a channel imbalance in the Elysium (right side plays louder). What are the chances?

At first I thought that maybe these cables change fit and seal somehow, so I experimented with tips, but it did nothing to help, although I noticed that the imbalance effect is sometimes less pronounced. I thought that maybe these cables don't like the hybrid nature of IMRs, but I also got imbalance out of the single DD Moondrop Starlight with the black cable.

Eventually, for giggles, I put the Avalon-intended black cable on the Elysium. Colour me surprised: no channel imbalance. Let's check the other way round, then... Yep, the silvery-brown cable intended for the Elysium plays without channel imbalance when connected to the Avalon.

Just... HOW?! It makes no sense to me at all.

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #8,612 of 18,273
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #8,613 of 18,273
So, I have a weird, and perhaps a little funny story to share. I decided to bling out my IMRs a little and bought colour-matching Openheart cables for my Avalon and Elysium. They arrived yesterday, and after some initial excitement my face immediately fell when it turned out that for some reason the black cable produces channel imbalance in the Avalon (left side plays louder) and some other IEMs I have (including the original EDP, Aten 5G, and Semper). To make matters even more weird, the silvery-brown cable also produces a channel imbalance in the Elysium (right side plays louder). What are the chances?

At first I thought that maybe these cables change fit and seal somehow, so I experimented with tips, but it did nothing to help, although I noticed that the imbalance effect is sometimes less pronounced. I thought that maybe these cables don't like the hybrid nature of IMRs, but I also got imbalance out of the single DD Moondrop Starlight with the black cable.

Eventually, for giggles, I put the Avalon-intended black cable on the Elysium. Colour me surprised: no channel imbalance. Let's check the other way round, then... Yep, the silvery-brown cable intended for the Elysium plays without channel imbalance when connected to the Avalon.

I guess it might be due to some loose soldering inside either jack or pin connector. It may be faulty wire in any of the core. The best way to verify is to do a continuity test using a simple multimeter.

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #8,614 of 18,273
I guess it might be due to some loose soldering inside either jack or pin connector. It may be faulty wire in any of the core. The best way to verify is to do a continuity test using a simple multimeter.
Good idea. I'll do that.

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #8,615 of 18,273

Those chinese ultra cheap “hand made” cables are almost all crap, so it’s lottery. Except for Xinhs - those are exceptional quality even at $15-20 :)

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #8,616 of 18,273
Those chinese ultra cheap “hand made” cables are almost all crap, so it’s lottery. Except for Xinhs - those are exceptional quality even at $15-20 :)
Yeah, I realise now I should have gone for XINHS. I learnt my lesson.

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #8,617 of 18,273
20220809_153131.jpg

I assume this what you should be getting (you can see I have different color combinations). Ace owners please correct me if not the case.
I have experienced the different colored lowers and filters looking colorless or same colored when using non-full spectrum led lighting. Make sure to view your accessories in proper lighting conditions. Either sunlight or full white spectrum lighting.

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #8,618 of 18,273
After a few hours with the Zenith II, it's very interesting. Totally different sound signature to all my other IMR IEM's. I was dozing with them in but woken by some amazing vocals on Kaleo 'save yourself' and 'way down we go', Joon Moon 'call me', John Martyn, 'glory box'. Bass is full, very present but analogue, vocals velvety....forwards. So different, but very likeable. I was expecting typical IMR but these are from an alternative reality. Brought back memories of the old HiFi 'English' tunings of my 80's gear.....so analogue. Hippy, psychedelic IEM's. Great sound-stage. Still to burn in.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #8,619 of 18,273
Talking of cables, I just went mad and bought this DD Hifi cable. Total impulse purchase, especially as I do not believe in the sonic attributes of cables.

The cable is currently on my Opus Mia, and it struck me how much tinkering we can do to our IMR IEMs.

Open or closed back, uddles of nozzles and filters and then plugs. I also just received a cable with the EA ConX system to swap seamlessly between 2pin and MMCX, which does not apply to IMR anyway.

Screenshot_20220809-155012_Gallery.jpg

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #8,620 of 18,273
I'm looking for a cable under 200$ too for my IMR Avalon, Ace and Zenith II. I know there are a lot of choice in the market, but I shortlisted the following cables: Null Audio Epsilon, Kotori Carbon, Cema 22AWG, Effect Audio Cadmus and Ares S, XINHS cables
Anyone has a good experience with any of these cable or others and can give me recommendation? what is important for me if that the cable is soft and flexible and sound good
Thank you

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #8,621 of 18,273
I respect your opinion. But I think there is nothing private about it. If you visit IMR website, it is clearly mention that if you want an invite for this invite only build, all you have to do is write to them. you don't need to be a returning IMR customer.
We all love IMR, then there is no harm in spreading its good product to all. why to remain confine among few hundreds.
Cool - happy either way
Its not just about this single email though, was more a suggestion about private emails in general
but people here are free to choose as they wish

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #8,622 of 18,273
I'm looking for a cable under 200$ too for my IMR Avalon, Ace and Zenith II. I know there are a lot of choice in the market, but I shortlisted the following cables: Null Audio Epsilon, Kotori Carbon, Cema 22AWG, Effect Audio Cadmus and Ares S, XINHS cables
Anyone has a good experience with any of these cable or others and can give me recommendation? what is important for me if that the cable is soft and flexible and sound good
Thank you
I use the Kotori Carbon on my Dark Matter, it's Copper litz, but it is NOT soft and flexible. Sounds great though.

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #8,623 of 18,273
Talking of cables, I just went mad and bought this DD Hifi cable. Total impulse purchase, especially as I do not believe in the sonic attributes of cables.

The cable is currently on my Opus Mia, and it struck me how much tinkering we can do to our IMR IEMs.

Open or closed back, uddles of nozzles and filters and then plugs. I also just received a cable with the EA ConX system to swap seamlessly between 2pin and MMCX, which does not apply to IMR anyway.

Screenshot_20220809-155012_Gallery.jpg
Interesting, that opus mia has the inside mesh, mine doesnt…

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #8,624 of 18,273
Yeah, I realise now I should have gone for XINHS. I learnt my lesson.
I’m not sure xinhs are the best sounding cables to my taste, as I like some kind of hybrid or up-occ cables, which are not common in xinhs stock.
But build quality, accessorie, flexibility, pvc skin feeling on most of the xinhs cables are top notch.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #8,625 of 18,273
Thank you
I will receive cema 22 awg copper in near future and will share my experience with Ace and Zenith 2

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back