• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 23, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #7,141 of 18,523
To all the Dark Matter owners:

Does the bass settle down and highs become slightly more prominent with burn in? What changes you guys have observed after 300 hours?

Oh, I changed the XINHS graphene cable to the stock pink cable. Seems to have better synergy.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #7,143 of 18,523
Bob have found a different solution for the Seraph and do not need a powered amplifier. It will ship in August or possible earlier since it's ahead of schedule.
This was a good one 😂😂😂

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #7,144 of 18,523

Does the bass settle down and highs become slightly more prominent with burn in? What changes you guys have observed after 300 hours?

Oh, I changed the XINHS graphene cable to the stock pink cable. Seems to have better synergy.
Pink cable has more intimate sound, pro cable has a bit wider scene.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #7,145 of 18,523

APOLOGIES FRIENDS - SOMEHOW BOTH BOOSTED LOW END EQ AND VINYL EMULATOR WHERE TURNED ON MY SONY SO THE BELOW COMMENTS ARE NOT ACCURATE - WILL REWRITE IMPRESSIONS ON P480

The DM are an interesting IEM
in summary
[The low end is much better now after many hours but i think the DM is tuned to showcase 'bass' so it will always be a big part of the IEM. For me there is an over all warmth but with blue upper filter I never notice anything about the treble - Ive never noticed it being less or more than desired so i guess that means my ears like it. Most of my music is sourced from Vinyl and the Sony DAP is quite rich so maybe less warm for others?]
and
[I think the DM can be an incredible IEM BUT you really need to tweak and try different set ups to find the best sound for you and your own set up. Sometimes, some albums don't sound 'quite right' but when the synergy is spot on such as with the 1997 Remaster of Band of Gypsies then I cant see the sound being able to sound much better - If you think of the DM's as 'Rock/folk IEM' then no problems!!]

Well over 500 hour and now and they seem to be presenting a very pleasant warmth in general but with a natural tonality and clarity. They can be a bit of a wild horse though !

In general I prefer a natural as true-to-life sound as possible whilst also enjoying whatever unique characteristics an IEM offers.
I don't want anything exaggerated - There are times when I love a big bad bass or a sparkly ultra revealing clarity but in general I just want to enjoy the natural tonality of instruments and vocals without being 'artificially' enhanced

Anyway, blah blah - Im currently using (but need to go though another round of trying different set ups since burn in!)
the grey lower filter (blue upper) which does make the low end known with most tracks that have a quite notable low end but not TOO much beyond what is there on the track itself.
BUT with tracks that dont have an obviously produced bass like 'weirdy beardy folk music' such as Whizz Jones you get a really nice note weight and the vocals are rich yet intimate

Switching to newly remastered Bob Marley - Live at the Rainbow - You hear and feel the bass guitar but the quality of the tonality of it superb. TBH Im not a fan of the remaster - it seems the bass guitar is more forward than drums and vocals a lot of the time but its a good judge of bass - Im wondering if thats how it sounded in the theatre that night - If so then maybe they did a good job? :)

Listening to a few infamously 'all time great produced and mastered' albums - the DM's seem at their best and most well behaved & well balanced although they always sound 'powerful'
Something that is a bit more gentle really reveals though how beautiful they can sound - EG: Gillian welch dark turn of mind

One track that I think is one the best examples Ive heard of how the DM sounds at its very best is Machine Gun - by Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies (1997 remaster)
The bite and energy of the guitar / the clarity of the vocals and the hard hitting of the drums is sublime and yet perfectly balanced.
Hard to find decent video of it but....

For Jazz lovers - John Coltrane's 'Say it ' from album Ballards - sounds especially creamy and almost painfully intimate. a sublimely natural sound like settling into a warm bath

I find the DM really like very cleanly precise mastered audio - seems to allow the accuracy of the diamond hard fast drivers to deliver a sound that sounds. The HDTracks remaster of Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures sounds extraordinary - Like a modern day recording - Never heard Ian's lyrics so natural and in their space. It is an experience listening to this album with the DM's!!

EDM and more electronic music also sound particularly stunning with the DM
Something like Low Roar - even though its mastered to be quite 'large' its quite an all enveloping experience with the DM's -

>You become surrounded by and enveloped by the sound<

In fact i think THIS is where some issues can come - because it is so unabashed in how it surrounds you in pillows of sound if the mastering of the album isn't done well the sound can be a little disjointed
I still need to tweak but I think the bass needs to be over all slightly more fast and tighter in general - it too easily billows out and so if the low end of the music being listening too isnt ideal it doesnt work
This may be a mistake in Bob not including an actual designed Sonion Bone Conduction driver and instead relying on the chassis mounted vibrations of the 6mm driver.
This is just a critical observation

When the DMs find their synergy they sound incredible BUT its perhaps more the EXPERIENCE' of how they sound instead of the TECHNICAL abilities if how it SHOULD sound that in some circumstances let it down a bit

I have some amazing experiences listening to them but then if I switch over to the Ozar it can be a sigh of relief at times!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #7,146 of 18,523
The DM are an interesting IEM
in summary
[The low end is much better now after many hours but i think the DM is tuned to showcase 'bass' so it will always be a big part of the IEM. For me there is an over all warmth but with blue upper filter I never notice anything about the treble - Ive never noticed it being less or more than desired so i guess that means my ears like it. Most of my music is sourced from Vinyl and the Sony DAP is quite rich so maybe less warm for others?]
and
[I think the DM can be an incredible IEM BUT you really need to tweak and try different set ups to find the best sound for you and your own set up. Sometimes, some albums don't sound 'quite right' but when the synergy is spot on such as with the 1997 Remaster of Band of Gypsies then I cant see the sound being able to sound much better - If you think of the DM's as 'Rock/folk IEM' then no problems!!]

Well over 500 hour and now and they seem to be presenting a very pleasant warmth in general but with a natural tonality and clarity. They can be a bit of a wild horse though !

In general I prefer a natural as true-to-life sound as possible whilst also enjoying whatever unique characteristics an IEM offers.
I don't want anything exaggerated - There are times when I love a big bad bass or a sparkly ultra revealing clarity but in general I just want to enjoy the natural tonality of instruments and vocals without being 'artificially' enhanced

Anyway, blah blah - Im currently using (but need to go though another round of trying different set ups since burn in!)
the grey lower filter (blue upper) which does make the low end known with most tracks that have a quite notable low end but not TOO much beyond what is there on the track itself.
BUT with tracks that dont have an obviously produced bass like 'weirdy beardy folk music' such as Whizz Jones you get a really nice note weight and the vocals are rich yet intimate

Switching to newly remastered Bob Marley - Live at the Rainbow - You hear and feel the bass guitar but the quality of the tonality of it superb. TBH Im not a fan of the remaster - it seems the bass guitar is more forward than drums and vocals a lot of the time but its a good judge of bass - Im wondering if thats how it sounded in the theatre that night - If so then maybe they did a good job? :)

Listening to a few infamously 'all time great produced and mastered' albums - the DM's seem at their best and most well behaved & well balanced although they always sound 'powerful'
Something that is a bit more gentle really reveals though how beautiful they can sound - EG: Gillian welch dark turn of mind

One track that I think is one the best examples Ive heard of how the DM sounds at its very best is Machine Gun - by Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies (1997 remaster)
The bite and energy of the guitar / the clarity of the vocals and the hard hitting of the drums is sublime and yet perfectly balanced.
Hard to find decent video of it but....

For Jazz lovers - John Coltrane's 'Say it ' from album Ballards - sounds especially creamy and almost painfully intimate. a sublimely natural sound like settling into a warm bath

I find the DM really like very cleanly precise mastered audio - seems to allow the accuracy of the diamond hard fast drivers to deliver a sound that sounds. The HDTracks remaster of Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures sounds extraordinary - Like a modern day recording - Never heard Ian's lyrics so natural and in their space. It is an experience listening to this album with the DM's!!

EDM and more electronic music also sound particularly stunning with the DM
Something like Low Roar - even though its mastered to be quite 'large' its quite an all enveloping experience with the DM's -

>You become surrounded by and enveloped by the sound<

In fact i think THIS is where some issues can come - because it is so unabashed in how it surrounds you in pillows of sound if the mastering of the album isn't done well the sound can be a little disjointed
I still need to tweak but I think the bass needs to be over all slightly more fast and tighter in general - it too easily billows out and so if the low end of the music being listening too isnt ideal it doesnt work
This may be a mistake in Bob not including an actual designed Sonion Bone Conduction driver and instead relying on the chassis mounted vibrations of the 6mm driver.
This is just a critical observation

When the DMs find their synergy they sound incredible BUT its perhaps more the EXPERIENCE' of how they sound instead of the TECHNICAL abilities if how it SHOULD sound that in some circumstances let it down a bit
I have some amazing experiences listening to them but then if I switch over to the Ozar it can be a sigh of relief at times!
can you do a fun-essay-to-read like this for the semper too? pretty please :D

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #7,147 of 18,523
can you do a fun-essay-to-read like this for the semper too? pretty please :D
I didn't mean to do that one! Just starting splurging :)
Semper would be more difficult as [for me] its as perfect in terms of balance, tonality...just everything as I could every wish for. Its just the most real to life sounding enjoyable IEM I have ever heard - It does not need to nor does it ever show off - its a well seasoned mature professional at the top of their game that just effortlessly gives

I did come to a personal epiphany talking about the DM just now - in that the (all be it wonderful) extra holographic imaging and space that it offers sometimes makes the [or some specific types of] bass a bit bloomy and unfocussed...which is interesting considering the nature and function of the CNT/ADLC drivers.
That may well just be my current set up & so now its well burned in I look forward to some tweaking adventures :D

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #7,148 of 18,523
I didn't mean to do that one! Just starting splurging :)
Semper would be more difficult as [for me] its as perfect in terms of balance, tonality...just everything as I could every wish for. Its just the most real to life sounding enjoyable IEM I have ever heard - It does not need to nor does it ever show off - its a well seasoned mature professional at the top of their game that just effortlessly gives

I did come to a personal epiphany talking about the DM just now - in that the (all be it wonderful) extra holographic imaging and space that it offers sometimes makes the [or some specific types of] bass a bit bloomy and unfocussed...which is interesting considering the nature and function of the CNT/ADLC drivers.
That may well just be my current set up & so now its well burned in I look forward to some tweaking adventures :D
interesting stuff! Porta fi explained the DM as a mini semper :) your impressions are quite different tho

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #7,149 of 18,523
SHIPS APPROXIMATELY JUNE 2022 (SEE RECENT EMAIL UPDATES)

Found on the ACE and Zenith page - Anybody here who got this email update?

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #7,150 of 18,523
EDP Ace & Zenith II - (15th June) Packing and assembling packages in prep for shipping

EDP Ace & Zenith II - Shipping to start
between 17th - 24th June

wisers-slow-clap (1).gif

One can only hope I will eat my sarcasm... tomorrow being the last date of shipping :/

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #7,151 of 18,523
Same, same.

But at Christmas day, for sure 🤡

Jun 23, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #7,152 of 18,523
I Love my DM but today I slipped the elan in on my Sony nwa-55 and was blown away all over again with its bass and character of clarity and detail argh I've got too many great sounding IMR IEMs and not enough ears to put them in 😂

Jun 23, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #7,154 of 18,523
can't wait to try the semper :) never had an imr iem before, but they were always hyped and seemed to do something different than the usual harman, which personally I love (the different tuning, not harman haha). It's the reason I enjoy plunge audio so much, plunge audio was the brand that made me realize my endgame is outside of the mainstream audiophile circle (ironic!)

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #7,155 of 18,523
Just listened to my Ozar with the new Pro cable. Nice colour match. Unlike with the Dark Matter, the Pro cable stays put in my ears using it with the Ozars...... and as a pairing, Ozar/Pro Cable, sound so very good.
Anybody reckon the EDP Ace will hit the road today? I'm suffering Planar withdrawal symptoms, need a fix, and need to hear those drum skin textures Planar style.....and my first Bone Conductor experience. Ace.....where art thou?:disappointed_relieved::sweat::heart_eyes:

Edit
Noticing the first Burn-In change on the Dark Matter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back