Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 22, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #7,112 of 18,530
I prefer the Azla Crystal standard version compared to the Xelastics, firmer and not as sticky and they don't mess up the bass as much.
IV wondered about the Crystals but cos the X's messed the bass so much I totally looked elsewhere! I'll pick some Crytals up and give them a go thanx for the Rec really appreciate it👍

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #7,113 of 18,530
traded my ej07 og for an imr semper, first imr iem i'll have, it seems that the semper has the old aten driver as opposed to the newer cnt adlc drivers.

Can someone give a direct comparison of the semper to the avalon / dark matter? impressions i got so far is that they're a sidegrade more than an upgrade.

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #7,114 of 18,530
Jun 22, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #7,115 of 18,530
traded my ej07 og for an imr semper, first imr iem i'll have, it seems that the semper has the old aten driver as opposed to the newer cnt adlc drivers.

Can someone give a direct comparison of the semper to the avalon / dark matter? impressions i got so far is that they're a sidegrade more than an upgrade.
I'll let the people who own Samper & Avalon give you real impression's I don't own either but I have been with IMR from the start and own monitors with Aten & CNT(ADLC) and the easiest analogy is Aten is like a nice analog tube amp deep & lush and CNT is your hi-end digital solid-state amp with clean,fast precision and great clarity.
Both excellent in their own right and compliment each other.
That's what so great & intrigueing with EDP ACE it will have both in one monitor, Analog Tube Planar & Clarity monster CNT(ADLC)
Hope this helps a bit and others will give you real world impression's of Semper/Avalon & DM👍
I will say one thing? LOTS of people say Semper is not only the best IMR but the best monitor false stop! So your in for a treat

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #7,116 of 18,530
Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #7,118 of 18,530
interesting, what amp/dac are you using? odd to me that a planar iem will have nasally vocals
The nasality is only really apparent in a direct comparison. I believe I was conducting the test on my Gustard X/H16 stack.

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #7,119 of 18,530
The nasality is only really apparent in a direct comparison. I believe I was conducting the test on my Gustard X/H16 stack.
ahh i see, desktop stack, definitely enough power :) from your comparison it really seems that avalon has semper beat in most areas. interesting! I'll have to see what imr will cook in the future, i'll be interested if he ends up making a dark matter with a planar added (unlike the edp ace which uses a worse cnt adlc driver)

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #7,120 of 18,530
When we buy IMR IEMs the procedure is different to any other company I know. We go along with paying and waiting because they are uniquely good IEMs. There is a great deal of 'Trust' involved and we all know how long it can be before we get our IEMs. It's clearly stated on the IMR website so we know before we buy what we are getting in to. I have the SOG, the Ozar and the Dark Matter and they are all my favourite of the 50 ish IEMs I have, barring a couple of others. They are genuinely top sounding IEMs. The only thing that I would like more of.... are progress updates as updates stop my inherent impatience. I am eagerly waiting for the EDP Ace to get to me and still waiting for the IMR Bass Canon that Ihave paid for. I have NO idea when the BC is due to be built and I mean NO idea. I hope I am in this world to find out.
I was told 6 weeks for my bass cannons...my dark matter are in the mail already.

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #7,121 of 18,530
I was told 6 weeks for my bass cannons...my dark matter are in the mail already.
After I wrote that, Bob replied to an email I sent and said 6 weeks. I'm looking forwards to them a lot. My Dark Matter has such good quality bass, that added to the amount of bass, makes it my best bass IEM. Not just in the amount of noise the bass produces, but how faithful to how I recognise bass should sound. So 4.4mm with L Spiral Dots give me a bass feast. Meanwhile my anticipation of the EDP Ace is palpable.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #7,122 of 18,530
After I wrote that, Bob replied to an email I sent and said 6 weeks. I'm looking forwards to them a lot. My Dark Matter has such good quality bass, that added to the amount of bass, makes it my best bass IEM. Not just in the amount of noise the bass produces, but how faithful to how I recognise bass should sound. So 4.4mm with L Spiral Dots give me a bass feast. Meanwhile my anticipation of the EDP Ace is palpable
I think this too. Just love the Bass on the DM.

I honestly think it is a better bass cannon than the Bass Cannon even though the BC has more bass it's not quite as tasty as the DM bass which is perfect for me.
I have mine on black/ blue and it is bass heavy for sure but never too much due to it's speed & quality. Its not just a bass cannon tho
Haha, I live across the road from the Roundhouse been there MANY times, Oasis,The Zuttons, Athlete just to name a few and yes that system is seismic😊 The ultimate system for bass was at Labyrinth 12 Dalston Lane with the Eskimo Sound System run by Andy, you want bass OMG that system had it in spades! I would go every Friday night and it took until the next Wednesday for my ears to stop ringing and then back again Friday, this went on from 1989 to 1994 and i totally blame it for my tinnitus lol?😝😆😝😆😩
Could you point out those generic Tips from penon? I have large ear holes so really intrigued by your impression?
I went there for the first time in 1994 & used to go on Fridays so maybe we have been there at the same time. I never found another club quite like it in London. I went years later to their Tottenham venue and it had Superhans party vibes. I saw the heart of darkness.

The DM satisfies my craving for the sound I remember from my early club experiences & have been chasing longer than I've known. But it's not a 1 trick pony inspired by @AlexCBSN I put on White Pony the other day as I hadn't heard it for ages and it sounded superb. The DM has bought me back to a lot of rock & metal that has never sounded better to me.

Ill never retire fully from head fi & chasing end game* but I'm happy to rest at this plateau with this setup for a good long time & consider myself semi retired.:gs1000smile::k701smile::ksc75smile:

* I have the Elan+ & Seraph+ ordered but am seriously wondering if I need them.

427234.jpg

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #7,124 of 18,530
Azla Xelastec: Great for a couple months, and then shape issues. If these were priced lower and/or lasted longer, these would have been first choice.

Azla SednaEarfit: Okay ... but something not quite right. Maybe the silicon is too firm? Comfort not quite there and, if I remember, the audio felt not quite right too. I probably should have tried the short, so as to bring the Elan shell close to the ear so the bone conduction could do what they're supposed to do.
I had the same issue with Xelastec and they eventually not just deform, they begin to disintegrate. I rolled the dice on a pair of Azla Crystal and love them. They're expensive but give the grip, feel and sound of Xelatec with none of the deformation or disintegration. I went back for 2 more pair. From my perspective, because I think they'll last I think they're worth it.

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #7,125 of 18,530
I think this too. Just love the Bass on the DM.

I honestly think it is a better bass cannon than the Bass Cannon even though the BC has more bass it's not quite as tasty as the DM bass which is perfect for me.
I have mine on black/ blue and it is bass heavy for sure but never too much due to it's speed & quality. Its not just a bass cannon tho

I went there for the first time in 1994 & used to go on Fridays so maybe we have been there at the same time. I never found another club quite like it in London. I went years later to their Tottenham venue and it had Superhans party vibes. I saw the heart of darkness.

The DM satisfies my craving for the sound I remember from my early club experiences & have been chasing longer than I've known. But it's not a 1 trick pony inspired by @AlexCBSN I put on White Pony the other day as I hadn't heard it for ages and it sounded superb. The DM has bought me back to a lot of rock & metal that has never sounded better to me.

Ill never retire fully from head fi & chasing end game* but I'm happy to rest at this plateau with this setup for a good long time & consider myself semi retired.:gs1000smile::k701smile::ksc75smile:

* I have the Elan+ & Seraph+ ordered but am seriously wondering if I need them.

Me too...Black and Blue. The bass is different to any other IEM I have heard....so realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back