Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 21, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #7,096 of 18,523
I think I'm also gonna pick up some of these? Couple questions? Have you tried most of the Azla Tips? If yes how do they compare? Which model did you get?
If anyone has good knowledge on these Spiral Dots which model would be recommended for increased bass performance?
I'm CONSTANTLY searching & buying Tips cause I have so much fit issues with ALL my monitor's! It's funny though cos i have ZERO issues with my TWS monitor's! I'm considering buying the Noble Audio Fokus Pro due to constant fit issues, the reviews of these are all phenomenal! So I'm really really hoping i don't get any fit problems with ACE?

Azla Xelastec: Great for a couple months, and then shape issues. If these were priced lower and/or lasted longer, these would have been first choice.

Azla SednaEarfit: Okay ... but something not quite right. Maybe the silicon is too firm? Comfort not quite there and, if I remember, the audio felt not quite right too. I probably should have tried the short, so as to bring the Elan shell close to the ear so the bone conduction could do what they're supposed to do.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #7,097 of 18,523
Very much depends on your earhole shape/size. The original Spiral Dots (like the Azla Sedna Earfits) have a very firm silicone. If your ears can manage them the dome keeps its shape in the ear and can give a big bass through the spacial resonance. The Azla's don't fit so many IEMs as easily as the Spiral Dots as the bore is narrower on the AZLA. I like the original Spiral Dots (from Penon or from Japan but cheaper from Penon) more than any other eartip......because I get the bass I crave, as using on the IMR SOG.
As always great advice dharmasteve really appreciate it👍 That's great news Penon has them i buy a lot from them just got the epro horn's which are ok'ish, they fit ok but they are very hard to put them on!
Do you have any advice on size's? Should i stick with my usual size or should i go up or down a size?
Thanks for the help dude really appreciate it

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #7,098 of 18,523
Azla Xelastec: Great for a couple months, and then shape issues. If these were priced lower and/or lasted longer, these would have been first choice.

Azla SednaEarfit: Okay ... but something not quite right. Maybe the silicon is too firm? Comfort not quite there and, if I remember, the audio felt not quite right too. I probably should have tried the short, so as to bring the Elan shell close to the ear so the bone conduction could do what they're supposed to do.
Oh you are 100% true Xelastec are without doubt the greatest thing since sliced bread, iv NEVER had a fit so good they are the ONLY tip i have used which i didn't have to fiddle with 10 minutes after wearing them BUT i don't know if it's just me but they effect the sub-bass performance hugely ie..it decreases it significantly! I first tried them when i got my MEST MK2 and they REALLY decreased the bass so i tried them on other monitors and same happened! I would be all over them if they sorted this out regardless of price the fit is that good!
Thanks for the advice on the Azla Shorts you could be onto something with the Ace bone conduction? I think I'll get the Spiral Dots & the Azla Shorts and keep my 🤞?
Cheers dude appreciate the help👍

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #7,099 of 18,523
ACE OF BASS😍😍😍😍
I am SOOO happy the Ace will have as much bass as SOG but bettering it's resolution/texture!
I have such high expectations for Ace and if it turns out the way I hope & think it will it could even compete with TOTL model's? Also, if I'm not mistaken Ace is the only monitor to include BC,Planar & Dynamic?
At the moment I'm not really bothered about delivery time I'm just sitting here with my fingers crossed my expectations aren't to high?
In another email though Bob explained that the bass had 'more texture' with open vent as oppose to 'more bass' so I think to some degree it all depends on how he has tuned the CNT driver.
I didn't like the original EDP because I found the titanium driver to be too quick without enough body/warmth/depth. Not that it was 'bad' sounding
I am very curious how all the drivers will work together after the needed burn in :)

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #7,100 of 18,523
Azla Xelastec: Great for a couple months, and then shape issues.
I honestly don't get what issues people have with Xelastecs. Yes, they rather quickly assume the shape of your ear canal and retain it, which in some instances can lead to wonky isolation, but the only thing you have to do is rotate them on the nozzle by 90 degrees and they work as new again. I've only damaged one pair when I tested the hot water method to straighten them out, but otherwise, the remaining tips I have still work fine despite the changed shape.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #7,101 of 18,523
As always great advice dharmasteve really appreciate it👍 That's great news Penon has them i buy a lot from them just got the epro horn's which are ok'ish, they fit ok but they are very hard to put them on!
Do you have any advice on size's? Should i stick with my usual size or should i go up or down a size?
Thanks for the help dude really appreciate it
Penon must have bought a lot of the OG Spiral Dots years ago. Last I saw they had all sizes except the Largest, so I had to get the last lot from Japan at a much higher cost. The L are about 14mm. They do last a long time. I like the Azla Xelastecs too but they have a much shorter lifespan and don't quite get the same bass in the L size.
If you have bigger earholes (not ears), then Penon have some super large, non branded,15mm eartips which are BIG and have amazing resonance that blasts bass into the realms of pycho acoustic cosmo sound and vibrates the brain from all directions, just like speakers used to do in the Roundhouse in dear old Chalk Farm Rd many moons ago. That's why the Roundhouse deafened so many Londoners. Sadly I like that insane bass. My karma for choosing to exist in this dense body.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #7,102 of 18,523
I honestly don't get what issues people have with Xelastecs. Yes, they rather quickly assume the shape of your ear canal and retain it, which in some instances can lead to wonky isolation, but the only thing you have to do is rotate them on the nozzle by 90 degrees and they work as new again. I've only damaged one pair when I tested the hot water method to straighten them out, but otherwise, the remaining tips I have still work fine despite the changed shape.
Yeah, I did the 90 degree thing for awhile, but for me they are a good idea that just doesn't quite work.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #7,103 of 18,523
Penon must have bought a lot of the OG Spiral Dots years ago. Last I saw they had all sizes except the Largest, so I had to get the last lot from Japan at a much higher cost. The L are about 14mm. They do last a long time. I like the Azla Xelastecs too but they have a much shorter lifespan and don't quite get the same bass in the L size.
If you have bigger earholes (not ears), then Penon have some super large, non branded,15mm eartips which are BIG and have amazing resonance that blasts bass into the realms of pycho acoustic cosmo sound and vibrates the brain from all directions, just like speakers used to do in the Roundhouse in dear old Chalk Farm Rd many moons ago. That's why the Roundhouse deafened so many Londoners. Sadly I like that insane bass. My karma for choosing to exist in this dense body.
Haha, I live across the road from the Roundhouse been there MANY times, Oasis,The Zuttons, Athlete just to name a few and yes that system is seismic😊 The ultimate system for bass was at Labyrinth 12 Dalston Lane with the Eskimo Sound System run by Andy, you want bass OMG that system had it in spades! I would go every Friday night and it took until the next Wednesday for my ears to stop ringing and then back again Friday, this went on from 1989 to 1994 and i totally blame it for my tinnitus lol?😝😆😝😆😩
Could you point out those generic Tips from penon? I have large ear holes so really intrigued by your impression?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #7,104 of 18,523
For me, my issue was that no matter how much I tried to rotate them, they would spread out and thin in a few months (at most) to an extent that they were no longer usable or would actually fracture. At the rather high price, I couldn't stay with them since they were essentially expendable in a short timeframe. I'm used to my tips lasting a lot longer time. But YMMV.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #7,105 of 18,523
ImyI love them and wouldn't mind but g them 2 or 3 times a year they work that well, if only they didn't f-ck the bass up?😡

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #7,106 of 18,523
Haha, I live across the road from the Roundhouse been there MANY times, Oasis,The Zuttons, Athlete just to name a few and yes that system is seismic😊 The ultimate system for bass was at Labyrinth 12 Dalston Lane with the Eskimo Sound System run by Andy, you want bass OMG that system had it in spades! I would go every Friday night and it took until the next Wednesday for my ears to stop ringing and then back again Friday, this went on from 1989 to 1994 and i totally blame it for my tinnitus lol?😝😆😝😆😩
Could you point out those generic Tips from penon? I have large ear holes so really intrigued by your impression?
One pair came with a Penon IEM I bought. I asked Penon if they sold them and could I get some. They then sold me a few pairs for a token price. It would be worth emailing them and asking about large 15mm eartips. If you get a problem I'll send you a pair. You will need big ears or you will have to screw them in. Dalston is just up the road to me. I remember the old 4 Aces in Dalston Lane many moons ago, I never went there as many who went in never came out.

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #7,107 of 18,523
One pair came with a Penon IEM I bought. I asked Penon if they sold them and could I get some. They then sold me a few pairs for a token price. It would be worth emailing them and asking about large 15mm eartips. If you get a problem I'll send you a pair. You will need big ears or you will have to screw them in. Dalston is just up the road to me. I remember the old 4 Aces in Dalston Lane many moons ago, I never went there as many who went in never came out.
HAHA Yeah there was a fair few time I couldn't get out under my own steam😝 but I must say it was the greatest time of my life!
I'll drop penon an email and see what he says and let you know? Thank you my freind your a true gent AND a local boy which is even better👍

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #7,109 of 18,523
I decided to get the Dark Matter while waiting for my B.C. to be made. I'm so excited and can't wait to get them both but my Thor Mjölnir may have to go 😩
OH PLEASE keep your Thor to compare to DM & B.C? IV always been intrested in this monitor for my bass fever especially now the mk2 version!
From your choice of monitors i guess you are like many of us hear pure & simple BASS JUNKIE'S👍
How has your time with Thor been?

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #7,110 of 18,523
OH PLEASE keep your Thor to compare to DM & B.C? IV always been intrested in this monitor for my bass fever especially now the mk2 version!
From your choice of monitors i guess you are like many of us hear pure & simple BASS JUNKIE'S👍
How has your time with Thor been?
Okay you got it.. OG Thor and OH10 will remain!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back