Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 8, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #6,901 of 18,496
The madness entered me again. A shamanistic bass vibration shook my senses and my finger, against all common sense, ordered the IMR Bass Cannon. It's true I am a bass person. The need for such a vibration must be a function of old age. May the force be with us.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #6,902 of 18,496
If you had to choose between the Ozar, Aten Red or SOG for micro details without being overly harsh, what would you choose? I've had the EDP original and enjoyed it, but the left side stopped working within a week. Willing to give IMR another shot tho going by the positive vibes in this thread. Looks like getting the EDP Ace is a long shot with it selling out

I was told the Ozar had similar detail to the FIIO FD5 which kinda disappointed me at I wouldn't say the FD5 is blessed with detail of clarity.

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #6,903 of 18,496
looking at you owners of DM and probably Avalon too
For avalon only two tips worked (and I have tried a ton): xelastics and white thin silicon ones that came with 7hz timeless.

The foams can work fitwise, but as you I also find the sound lacking, but not so much in clarity as in presence. I think foams probably negate the bone conduction effect. They seem to sound the best to me when sealed, but not shoved deep in the ear channel and just resting at the entrance.

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #6,904 of 18,496
If you had to choose between the Ozar, Aten Red or SOG for micro details without being overly harsh, what would you choose? I've had the EDP original and enjoyed it, but the left side stopped working within a week. Willing to give IMR another shot tho going by the positive vibes in this thread. Looks like getting the EDP Ace is a long shot with it selling out

I was told the Ozar had similar detail to the FIIO FD5 which kinda disappointed me at I wouldn't say the FD5 is blessed with detail of clarity.
I have the Ozar and SOG. The Splash of Gold has good micro details in comparison to most other DD IEMs. It is a fine IEM. The Ozar (with a good copy) is an exceptional IEM, maybe not so much on the technical side. Although I way prefer the SOG and Ozar, IEMs like the LZ A7 have more pronounced micro-details.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #6,905 of 18,496
Try using vinyl gloves for a better grip, i know this trick from vaping, trying to unscrew parts of the aromatizer for example, same principal but on a bigger scale, hope it works for you.

Nope, didn’t work too, even tried with rubber gloves.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #6,906 of 18,496
Have you tried WD-40 Spray?

Actually did not want to do this. I assume it will soak into the foam inside the filters?

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #6,907 of 18,496
Actually did not want to do this. I assume it will soak into the foam inside the filters?

I understand your apprehension. You don't have to spray it from inside; just put a drop at the junction of upper and lower filter. The foam used is too small and thin. you can put it under sun for few minutes if get soaked in spray. Just a thought until you get your replacement. I am sure once you write to Bob he will definitely send you the extra pair.

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #6,908 of 18,496
I have the Ozar and SOG. The Splash of Gold has good micro details in comparison to most other DD IEMs. It is a fine IEM. The Ozar (with a good copy) is an exceptional IEM, maybe not so much on the technical side. Although I way prefer the SOG and Ozar, IEMs like the LZ A7 have more pronounced micro-details.

"With a good copy"?

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #6,909 of 18,496
"With a good copy"?
They are hand assembled so occasionally one does not hit the spot. The customer service is so good that in that event, it is dealt with very quickly. I've bought so MANY IEMs from China and in general it has been a good experience, but when problems arise it becomes very complicated. With IMR, customer service is quick and of the highest level.....although the waiting time for new builds to be ready takes some patience.

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #6,910 of 18,496
As an older guy with arthritis and tinitus I struggle to get to sleep so I use small iems on low volume to lull me off anyway after my 2nd set of tinhifi t2 died (fragile connectors) I dug out the IMR Knight.. At low volume these things are incredible, sounds floating around outside my head super comfy with a tripowin Zonie cable.

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #6,912 of 18,496
Ok try placing one end in a vice and use pliers on the other end or two pliers

If u cant them message bob he might be able to send u a replacement

I did exactly this with two sharp nosed pliers; nope wouldnt budge. Bob has already sent out the replacement black filter+nozzle to me, to the other side of the World. This is amazing service!

@bk123 I will try this out to see if it works, thanks for the suggestion

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #6,914 of 18,496
Any body on this thread who owns an IMR Bass Cannon? I've ordered one and would like to get a description of its actual sound qualities etc etc. Would be very kind and helpful.
The thing with DM is that the mids are in my head, i do feel the conduction and it works better IMO over the elan for example though i consider it like that since elan did felt inside my head

ADLC is great on the DM, bass has become more and more present, had to go silver to red to lower its presence, and im a bass head
However the aten5 driver is one of the best drivers around for bass, and sub bass doesnt need that much to bring its low end to the scene, imo this is the most bass head driver in the market, example, opus mia and aten5 are bass kings in my collection, even the newly released Thor mjolnir and FOCUS EDM ain’t rivals, and they are considered amongst the best bass headphones around. FIIO fd5 can come close but doesnt have the reverb and presence that this can push

All in all, DM has better handling in the overall scene, the mids are lush and detailed, highs are superb and detailed with beatiful crisp, bass is as correct and IMR’ish as it can. For a classy listening with a nice glass of mezcal and a beautiful afternoon. There’s not much to be asked

BC in comparison is a BEAST. Once burn in has settle, bass goes deep and rumbles with might, mids are lush but not as detailed as in its counterpart and even though i wished it did… its not an all rounder, actually i hate that some old albums sound a bit muddy on it. Though it’s easier to drive than DM and for everyday shores or just roaming around it works flawlessly, heck, sometimes my head shakes with the sub bass. Mids can get muddy from time to time (that 6mm knight driver can get congested easily) and highs ain’t TOTL BUT, for the price, you get one of the best bass headphones if not the best in the market. I asked bob if he had an spare and then he offered me the prototype i was talking about (got my self a piece of imr history)

If i had to choose one. It would be painful since i love both, though DM is as TOTL as you can get in the current market
this is what @AlexCBSN said.

The bass cannon does move some serious air when the music demands it.

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #6,915 of 18,496
DMs arrived yesterday with DHL. Absolutely incredible customer service form Bob. Time after time he comes through with an action that re-enforces his amazing interest in supporting his products. I know his delivery estimates for special builds are, to say the least, optimistic, but as others have said, the wait is worth it and it’s not as if we weren’t expecting it 😃. I’ll wait till they’re burned in before any comments on the DMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back