Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 7, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #6,887 of 18,496
Jon, sadly I'm an Old Buddhist living on the measly state pension so I'll wait for my EDP Ace for my next round of Samsaric temporary pleasure.
My replacement Dark Matter came. Wow Bob has a good ear. Faultless. The original was not right, the bass way too far behind the soundstage. The replacement is something else. Perfect already. My best IEM until now after 50 IEMs.
:) I am also an Old Buddhist living on probably less than that! Much as I would love to be Yogi meditating in a cave . . . I ermmm . . . am also looking forward to the ACE. You only love once [coughs]

SO glad you got the Dark Matter your ears deserved - They are indeed TOTL - just sublime! - I've had similar times where I can't stop listening and am just really taken aback at the quality of what Im hearing
although....
I did go back to the Semper (5th gen Aten / Planar / Electrostat) and I think (over all) they still remain the king of all the IMR's mainly because they are SO natural and true to life sounding - just perfectly balanced with every single tonality sounding exactly as it should. As close to perfection as I have ever heard with anything, anywhere

Maybe with some lucky synergy there as well but the Semper is SO good I don't listen to them THAT much because they are almost too perfect . . . Its a bit like if you had a case of Mouton Rothschild 1964 - You just wouldn't crack open a bottle every day with your lunch?!

The DM's 'Sometimes' are little too intense. They try a little bit too hard especially heard with a badly mixed album but maybe that is how it should be with top quality IEMs - if you give them low quality then they will give it t you right back :D

Maybe better to say the Semper is like listening to a perfect studio recording session where as the Dark Matter is like the same band playing true to form in a live concert - more energy and punch. Same music but very different presentation
Then again, that the DM's have such an energetic, powerful sound and can still sound very listenable and non fatiguing really is a miracle of design and tuning

Jun 7, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #6,888 of 18,496
This. The rubber band method works best and won't shred your fingertips.
Try as I might, I am unable to remove the black filter from the black nozzle. Tried all other filters and nozzles, and it worked fine. Will reach out to Bob to get a replacement, at least I hope he will

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #6,891 of 18,496
My Astra broke again (oops) so I'm considering to trade in to Dark Matter if it's better. I primarily listen to Japanese Musics (Anime songs included) and I consider bass quality/quantity and female vocal very important. Wide soundstage with amazing bass & female vocal being forward and being energetic is preferred. Astra or Dark Matter, which is better suited for me?
EDIT: More details.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #6,892 of 18,496
Use a pair of pliers to grip the top and try that way
I had issue as well
I think the threads need a bit of grease maybe
Tried this too, but it just wouldnt budge. Anyhow, using the reference filter combo of purple nozzle and red filter now, the all black in this initial stage is just too dark and boomy for my tastes. Plenty of hours to go to burn in (<10hrs )

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #6,893 of 18,496
Just received my DMs, however I am having much difficulty in removing the black filter from the black nozzle on one of them, seems to be too tight. Any ideas on how to do so without damage?
Try using vinyl gloves for a better grip, i know this trick from vaping, trying to unscrew parts of the aromatizer for example, same principal but on a bigger scale, hope it works for you.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #6,895 of 18,496
Guys, I need some suggestions for tips for DM.

Currently I'm using Spirat Dots, but I can't keep a steady seal with them. These are my favorites mostly because of the clear sound and accentuated subbass. I tried Comply T500 and although they kept the seal quite well and the bass was powerful, but the overall sound was very muffled in comparison to Spiral Dot.

So are there other tips, which might be keeping this sound (especially the subbass) and steady seal (looking at you owners of DM and probably Avalon too)? Can be both silicon and foames (probably will keep seal better).

I read here a lot of good things about New Bee, but no real sound signature (in comparison to SD).

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #6,896 of 18,496

Currently I'm using Spirat Dots, but I can't keep a steady seal with them. These are my favorites mostly because of the clear sound and accentuated subbass. I tried Comply T500 and although they kept the seal quite well and the bass was powerful, but the overall sound was very muffled in comparison to Spiral Dot.

So are there other tips, which might be keeping this sound (especially the subbass) and steady seal (looking at you owners of DM and probably Avalon too)? Can be both silicon and foames (probably will keep seal better).

I read here a lot of good things about New Bee, but no real sound signature (in comparison to SD).
Spinfit (cp100) could resolve fitting troubles most of times. Sound is a bit different, but not critically. At least sub bass doesn't suffer from this specific tips

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #6,897 of 18,496

For DM, I use Azla Crystal Standard and also Azla Sedna Earfit Shorts. You can also try the Whizzer Easytips SS20.

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #6,899 of 18,496

Azla Xelastecs have a natural sticky quality. They give good bass like Spiral Dots. Usually available on Amazon.

Jun 8, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #6,900 of 18,496
For DM, I use Azla Crystal Standard and also Azla Sedna Earfit Shorts. You can also try the Whizzer Easytips SS20.
I'm using these on the DM too. I like them on IEMs with bone conduction.

I'm using the light ones but I dont think there is a big difference between light/ non light ones as refers to their colour.

I'm finding vocal harmonies are amazing on the DM and I'm hearing new ones I didn't know were there. Stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back