Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 16, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #6,481 of 18,168
While choice is good too much choice is sometimes too much, when you can't reasonably try the options out apart from blind buying everything. That just causes confusion and unsatisfaction with what you already have (but what if that other thing is better? what if?!)

So I'll just stick to sampling the new driver types/combination instead and just ignore all the multiple "similar" models, even if in reality they are tuned and sound differently. The same goes for discounts, btw (let's make it cost twice as much on paper and give everyone a 50% discount). Or I'll end up in a ditch somewhere broke but with 100500 iems swapping them 10 times per song instead of enjoying the music 😆

With that said, I have to tip my hat to the customer support (super pleasant and friendly) and the Halcyon (modded), that is currently the most addictive and frequently used iem in my (smallish) collection.

Just some random rambling, while wating for "April" Aces. 😆
Haha 😝 agree with everything u say my freind👍
"April" Ace 😛

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #6,482 of 18,168
Hope we get it before christmas.☃️

May 16, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #6,483 of 18,168
While choice is good too much choice is sometimes too much, when you can't reasonably try the options out apart from blind buying everything. That just causes confusion and unsatisfaction with what you already have (but what if that other thing is better? what if?!)
It's known as the "tyranny of choice." There is such as a thing as giving the consumer too many options.

May 16, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #6,484 of 18,168
Anyone here able to do a comparison between Rah and PB1? Can't decide which way to go.

May 16, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #6,485 of 18,168
My turn to ask a "dumb" question. Regarding 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced terminations: Besides the relative "fragility" of the 2.5, is there any substantive difference in the audio signal? My instinct is to favor 4.4 ...

May 16, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #6,486 of 18,168
MMCX is underrated. Well implemented it is a perfect connector.
Yes, Especially the new beryllium connectors. Strong and resilient. I personally prefer MMCX over 2 Pin although out of necessity, have far more 2 Pin Cables than MMCX. I personally have never had an MMCX fail. Once I cable roll and land on a preferred cable for a particular IEM, I rarely if ever remove it - so wear and tear on the connector is a non issue! For thos constantly swapping or removing cables with brass connectors, it can be an issue but in most use cases not really.

After a little hiatus I'm starting to bring my attention back to this thread with approach of EDP Ace - Let the anticipation rise!

May 16, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #6,487 of 18,168
Nevertheless they still sound amazing. Right now I'm using my rah and man... This soundstage...
Yep. LOVE my RAH too. I'm still a big fan of the Aten Driver and it's meaty but natural, organic, dare I say analogue sound and all that planar goodness to boot, with treble cherries atop the RAH cake from the Piezo. Its a masterpiece.

May 16, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #6,488 of 18,168
May 16, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #6,489 of 18,168
My turn to ask a "dumb" question. Regarding 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced terminations: Besides the relative "fragility" of the 2.5, is there any substantive difference in the audio signal? My instinct is to favor 4.4 ...
I forget the details but yes 4.4mm is better as the larger area of contact improves xxx

May 16, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #6,490 of 18,168
The only difference is that the 4.4 mm pentaconn jack is more robust. But I find the 2.5 mm more practical, because you can always use a 3.5 mm or 4.4 mm adapter and the plug itself is smaller.

May 16, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #6,491 of 18,168
The only difference is that the 4.4 mm pentaconn jack is more robust. But I find the 2.5 mm more practical, because you can always use a 3.5 mm or 4.4 mm adapter and the plug itself is smaller.
Problem I find is that the 2.5mm is more rare on newer devices. 4.4 and 3.5 seems to be the preferred route lately.

May 17, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #6,492 of 18,168
To be honest i cannot hear a much difference between 2.5 & 3.5! If anything i would say there is more clarity & transparentcy but I'm not sure if this is placebo?
There is a long thread on here(i will try to find it) that a couple of well respected member's tried MANY balanced & unbalanced cable's & source's and there conclusion was they could not hear any difference!
BUT? This is a VERY subjective topic which. People have strong feelings about on either side of the coin?
So PLEASE don't kick me in the nuts over this! 😝😝

May 17, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #6,493 of 18,168
Yep. LOVE my RAH too. I'm still a big fan of the Aten Driver and it's meaty but natural, organic, dare I say analogue sound and all that planar goodness to boot, with treble cherries atop the RAH cake from the Piezo. Its a masterpiece.
SO many people love the rah so I'm REALLY hoping some of this magic rubs off to the ACE? They have a very similar configuration with the same 10mm Planar but CNT instead of Aten and additional Bone Conduction! "IF" some of that Rah magic does go into Ace with the addded BC we may be in for something VERY Special? 🤞🤞🤞

May 17, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #6,494 of 18,168
SO many people love the rah so I'm REALLY hoping some of this magic rubs off to the ACE? They have a very similar configuration with the same 10mm Planar but CNT instead of Aten and additional Bone Conduction! "IF" some of that Rah magic does go into Ace with the addded BC we may be in for something VERY Special? 🤞🤞🤞
They will be very different. I have the RAH and had the OG EDP and they are completely different animals. Read Bob's description of ACE he's not messing with tuning of Ace, it remains in line with the OG.... I wrote about this a few times already for those with false expectation - this EDP will be an EDP and will not be a RAH, Elan, Ozar, BC, etc
If you want to know what to expect go to the EDP thread, start at the halfway point (when they started arriving) and read the impressions as they burned in. The EDP is a beautiful IEM with a wonderful, natural organic sound. They are the most bass light model Bob has produced and are a completely different tuning. Bob has said these will stay in that vein, only extended so I'm expecting an enhanced EDP not retuned one. We'll see

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #6,495 of 18,168
Looking forwards to the EDP Ace. I have the TRi i3, DD, Planar, BA which has plenty bass. It's good but my expectations are for the Ace to be better. Planar's like the Timeless and S12, that I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed, are taking the Planar world to high levels....if the ACE comes up short in bass it would not bode well. Planar's are now hitting the spot bass wise, so the Ace needs to too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back