Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 17, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #6,496 of 18,541
Looking forwards to the EDP Ace. I have the TRi i3, DD, Planar, BA which has plenty bass. It's good but my expectations are for the Ace to be better. Planar's like the Timeless and S12, that I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed, are taking the Planar world to high levels....if the ACE comes up short in bass it would not bode well. Planar's are now hitting the spot bass wise, so the Ace needs to too.
Well for a start the timeless has a very mellow bass if any

I3 ? Well i have the newer pro, i was enjoying it but its nothing amazing ( will have a little play again later been a while lol) but it does have more bass ( compared to 7hz) due to the dd in there

I also have the p.d.1 planar and dd
Best bass iem i have owned except the fiio fa7 ( all ba 🤯) but bass kills the mids in some songs
But for EDM its end game love it

But will give my i3 pro another go today and i cant wait to see how my edp ace is compared to the rest i own

May 17, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #6,497 of 18,541
Well for a start the timeless has a very mellow bass if any

I3 ? Well i have the newer pro, i was enjoying it but its nothing amazing ( will have a little play again later been a while lol) but it does have more bass ( compared to 7hz) due to the dd in there

I also have the p.d.1 planar and dd
Best bass iem i have owned except the fiio fa7 ( all ba 🤯) but bass kills the mids in some songs
But for EDM its end game love it

But will give my i3 pro another go today and i cant wait to see how my edp ace is compared to the rest i own
My point is that the TRi i3 is goodish but even with it's DD not in in the same league as the Shuoer s12, which does have good bass (the Timeless bass is much shallower to me) and a very accurate bass too. I'm hoping the Ace has at least an accurate bass but I'm really hoping the DD has some bass depth. We shall see....very soon....hopefully.

May 17, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #6,498 of 18,541
My point is that the TRi i3 is goodish but even with it's DD not in in the same league as the Shuoer s12, which does have good bass (the Timeless bass is much shallower to me) and a very accurate bass too. I'm hoping the Ace has at least an accurate bass but I'm really hoping the DD has some bass depth. We shall see....very soon....hopefully.
Oh on that point you are correct
Only issue i have is that theres no crossover
the dd should just do the low end and thats it lol
Planar can do the rest just fine
For some reason i though the ace came with a est 😂
but its a bc it comes with
But i so cant wait to try it

May 17, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #6,499 of 18,541
Looking forwards to the EDP Ace. I have the TRi i3, DD, Planar, BA which has plenty bass. It's good but my expectations are for the Ace to be better. Planar's like the Timeless and S12, that I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed, are taking the Planar world to high levels....if the ACE comes up short in bass it would not bode well. Planar's are now hitting the spot bass wise, so the Ace needs to too.
+10000 this is exactly what I'm hoping for? The difference between the SOG & R2 are huge and they are roughly the same monitor but with CNT V Aten!
@holsen I just hope your wrong regarding bass because OG did not have the option of open-back which the Ace has! Also, Bob even says in the discription it has the "imr bass fun factor"
Bud if it does turn out to be the most bass light IMR Monitor I will probably return it and I'm sure I'm not the only one that will!

May 17, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #6,500 of 18,541
+10000 this is exactly what I'm hoping for? The difference between the SOG & R2 are huge and they are roughly the same monitor but with CNT V Aten!
@holsen I just hope your wrong regarding bass because OG did not have the option of open-back which the Ace has! Also, Bob even says in the discription it has the "imr bass fun factor"
Bud if it does turn out to be the most bass light IMR Monitor I will probably return it and I'm sure I'm not the only one that will!
I doubt it will be bass light
Its got an 10mm dd
If it was just planar then yea
Its gonna have a nice bass i think

May 17, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #6,502 of 18,541
Is it the same DD in the Ace as in the Ozar? If so that driver is capable of serious bass if tuned that way.
ACE
  • Planar hybrid driver configuration consisting of a precision 10mm planar magnetic driver + 10mm Ultra wide band CNT ADLC dynamic driver + bone conduction motor
Ozar

• 10mm bespoke CNT ADLC Driver (Carbon nanotube amorphous diamond like carbon)

Not sure what an ultra wide band dd is so im not sure if they r the same

May 17, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #6,503 of 18,541
There's a big difference between a 14.5 planar and a 10mm one. Which is why tri, obravo and others that have used a 10mm unit have supplemented the bass with a DD. None of us have heard it yet
I doubt it will be bass light
Its got an 10mm dd
If it was just planar then yea
Its gonna have a nice bass i think
When I say the EDP was / is the most bass light model in the imr line up I'm not saying there's no bass. I'm saying RELATIVE To all the other models in the imr line up which are known for their "house sound". What's the IMR hallmark? And for those who are expecting the hallmark IMR bass in the EDP Ace, you may be disappointed. Anyway I'm expecting and excellent iem.

May 17, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #6,504 of 18,541
Contacted Bob on Sunday about delivery on Ace and Zenith, both of which are in build now and he expects to ship shortly. Took the opportunity to ask what cables would come with the Ace and Zenith. He replied that it would be the new black cables that came with Avalon and DM. I personally didn't like those cables at all. So I asked if I could have the previous generation cables, the ones with the pink wire and angled color coded connectors which he calls the 2021 cables, instead of the black ones. He replied that I certainly could and that he would annotate my account accordingly. I've checked with him and the same option is available to others, and I know from the forum that I am not alone in not liking the new cables. If you want to change, just let Bob know. Yet more of the amazing customer service that Bob provides.

May 17, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #6,505 of 18,541
Is the main concern with the new cable regarding comfort and how it goes over the ear? Or were there also performance concerns?

May 17, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #6,506 of 18,541
Is the main concern with the new cable regarding comfort and how it goes over the ear? Or were there also performance concerns?
I have to say I'm not a big proponent of cables changing the sound. I think that if there is an effect then to appreciate it you would have to have a lot better set of ears than I have. So, yes, just the stiffness and heaviness and the appearance of the very losely interwoven wires. Often find that the IMR IEMs naturally have the wire coming out at an angle slightly away from the side of head so they need to be pushed in behind the ear and with a thicker heavier cable that tends to want to pull the IEM out of the ear or have the cable come off the ear. All in all I much prefer the 2021 cables.

May 17, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #6,507 of 18,541
Yes I'm very interested in some positive & negative opinions on these new cables because I noticed some liked them and some didnt? Would really appreciate it guys so I can make a decision?

May 17, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #6,508 of 18,541
For me is comfort but i dont know if the fault is with the avalon ( sticks out too much??) it the cable
Might try the cable on my monarch and see

But i am not a fan of the black cable anyway
And i dont have the gold one so i might as for the gold one

Im wondering if theres gonna be any performance difference between the two cables?
Maybe someone can test it on an imr iem if they got both cables plz

May 17, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #6,509 of 18,541
Edited duplicated post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back