• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #4,396 of 18,541
We are a couple of proper 'Ear spassers' :D
Not sure how being a 'right spasser' would translate outside of England but . . . !
Anyway - My IMR's are tweaked / tuned in relation to the tips and of course the sound signature of my players but looking forward to hearing how it works out for you, no pun intended
HAHA LOL Funny man😛
I'll let you know how i get on👍

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #4,397 of 18,541
That's poetry, that is. So for your ears, the SOG is a step up from RED2 ... a little cleaner.
Well yes and no - Just had a great session with both of them
Listening to Machine Gun by Band of Gypsies - Jimi Hendrix - the RED2 are so analogooly great the drums hits are profoundly perfect and the clarity and timbre of Jimi's voice in the midst of it all is perfect - you really become part of the experience - You also hear the subtle vibrations and reverbs bouncing of the walls of the venue. Now THAT impressives the heck out of me for any IEM and is a true sign of greatness

Coming straight from SOG to RED2 the first impression is that the sound is drawn in or pulled in a bit - its a bit more down to earth, grounded and focussed but not to the loss of detail or any other qualities - Certainly less sparkle and shimmer - you loose a bit of 3D all round holo
but the 2nd immediate thought is how close the IMR house is still maintained - very impressive
They both excell at what they do - Maybe like the RED2 are like playing in the band where as SOG is like dancing too the band - same music but the experiences are different

I always return to the analogy of the 'old' Aten driver IMR's being like the best Analogue sound you could hope for where as the 'newer' IMR ADLC-CNT drivers are like the best digital sound you could hope for

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #4,398 of 18,541
Well yes and no - Just had a great session with both of them
Listening to Machine Gun by Band of Gypsies - Jimi Hendrix - the RED2 are so analogooly great the drums hits are profoundly perfect and the clarity and timbre of Jimi's voice in the midst of it all is perfect - you really become part of the experience - You also hear the subtle vibrations and reverbs bouncing of the walls of the venue. Now THAT impressives the heck out of me for any IEM and is a true sign of greatness

Coming straight from SOG to RED2 the first impression is that the sound is drawn in or pulled in a bit - its a bit more down to earth, grounded and focussed but not to the loss of detail or any other qualities - Certainly less sparkle and shimmer - you loose a bit of 3D all round holo
but the 2nd immediate thought is how close the IMR house is still maintained - very impressive
They both excell at what they do - Maybe like the RED2 are like playing in the band where as SOG is like dancing too the band - same music but the experiences are different

I always return to the analogy of the 'old' Aten driver IMR's being like the best Analogue sound you could hope for where as the 'newer' IMR ADLC-CNT drivers are like the best digital sound you could hope for
The way you talk about the SOG and AceBee talks about the SOR I'm seriously considering picking up the SOG? What is bass like with the Black filter? I'm looking to replace the B.C i regret selling and want it as my EDM & Drum & Bass on the go and want something to rattle my jaw but still need it to have great technicalities which after reading your impressions its has in spade's. Would you say the bass is up to it ?

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #4,399 of 18,541
The way you talk about the SOG and AceBee talks about the SOR I'm seriously considering picking up the SOG? What is bass like with the Black filter? I'm looking to replace the B.C i regret selling and want it as my EDM & Drum & Bass on the go and want something to rattle my jaw but still need it to have great technicalities which after reading your impressions its has in spade's. Would you say the bass is up to it ?

Good question - using black lower there is not an excess of bass but I never find myself wishing or needing more. For me its the perfect amount of bass but I am aware that less bass would be a potential issue. However the sub bass is delicious
Its tricky to compare it to the BC because the driver character is quite different - more dynamic, more shimmer and 3d holo than the BC.
It sounds a lot more magical than the more grounded BC
Im gonna say - Yes there is enough bass for you but the thing is there is a whole nother level of shimmer, detail and clarity which would add a whole nother dimension to your listen
So even IF the you wanted a tad more bass I think the extra-nous you get would counter that
I had a good session earlier and had some lovely bass - its quite delicious but i would say it leans more towards a higher quality of low end than simply an excess of bass.
Of course also depends on your source to some degree

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #4,400 of 18,541
Good question - using black lower there is not an excess of bass but I never find myself wishing or needing more. For me its the perfect amount of bass but I am aware that less bass would be a potential issue. However the sub bass is delicious
Its tricky to compare it to the BC because the driver character is quite different - more dynamic, more shimmer and 3d holo than the BC.
It sounds a lot more magical than the more grounded BC
Im gonna say - Yes there is enough bass for you but the thing is there is a whole nother level of shimmer, detail and clarity which would add a whole nother dimension to your listen
So even IF the you wanted a tad more bass I think the extra-nous you get would counter that
I had a good session earlier and had some lovely bass - its quite delicious but i would say it leans more towards a higher quality of low end than simply an excess of bass.
Of course also depends on your source to some degree
I think youv swayed me, if i need an extra 2db at 50hz i can always EQ it when on the go, i don't really like to EQ but when out & about and not critically listening its ok.
I have a Apogee Duet running through a Mac book pro, a EarStudio ES100 Mk2 and a LG V30.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I think the foams has done the trick👍 I'v gotta pop to the shop to get some Vap Liquid in a bit so ill test them out? But they feel really secure, i would take a photo to show you but my camera isn't working but, ill let you know what happens when I return from the shop? Thank you my friend i owe you one👍

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #4,401 of 18,541
This is a good time to ask something that has been on my mind. A couple years ago I got my first guitar...and it wasn't long before I wanted to get another. Even though I was just barely learning to play the first one, and you can only play one at a time (typically).

As it relates to guitars, this desire actually has a name: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, or GAS.

I think there's a similar fever afflicting audiophiles and their gear. :D This year I've purchased four sets of IEMs, three of which were $200 or more. One of those was the IMR Elan, and I'm not sure I need to get anything else at this point. It has a definite "end game" feel for me, and while I suppose there probably are or will be options that are even better, I don't think I need bother (diminishing returns, opportunity costs, etc.).

So my point is: Seems a lot of y'all on this thread like to add to your collections. For example, I've seen a lot of you adding the SOR or SOG to your existing IMR line up (admittedly, SOG and SOR are modestly priced). What's your philosophy about having multiple IEMs in your collections? Is this your main hobby so you're always watching for something good to try? Or are you looking to have a "TOTL" and maybe something mid-tier as well? Maybe it comes down to different IEMs having different strengths...

I saw somewhere someone had a "one in, one out" policy, so whenever they got something new, they got rid of a previous model. Just curious how people approach this fascinating hobby...
Personally, I try to operate a one-in, one-out policy with a maximum of 2 at a time (daily driver and 'something special').

IMRs fall into the latter category. I had the IMR Semper, but the idea of Bone Conduction and Planar was too intriguing to pass up so I ordered the Elysium with the intention of comparing. I ended up selling the Semper as preferred the Elysium. I have also pre-ordered the Avalon with the same intent - to compare them with Elysium. Highly doubtful I will keep both.

I do the same with guitars too and think the idea is that you're gradually 'funneling' your way to your dream setup but not sure how true that is LOL.

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #4,402 of 18,541
WOOHOO my new Basshead!
On the negative i bloody hate those screws and now there bright red😝
C'mon man! You're gonna love 'em they even match the color of the eyes in your avatar!

On another note, one of my all time favorites was the OG EDP but I sold it to make room for (and to finance) the Elysium. I loved that IEM and regretted selling it. So, I am stoked to see the EDP Ace and got myself on the waiting list.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #4,403 of 18,541
The Opus is an all time favourite for me as well - LOVE it
I only ever use NewBee foam tips now so I no longer EVER have fit issues as the foam holds the iem in the ear no matter
what shape it is
The Newbee are special as well as they don't alter the sound unlike many foams / other tips so I can then focus on tweaking via filters alone
Mind you, I have a weird fit issue with my left ear - if I move my jaw I loose connection with other tips so I have no choice but to use foam. So very happy to have discovered NewBee.
I could open a museum of other tips now though :)
Just ordered some Newbee foam tips as I have the jaw connected issues too been using the large foams included in the IMR case which are perfect but only a single pair hope these are similar. I think I bought a few of your IMR sets from you off ebay. I now have 7 sets I'm addicted....

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #4,404 of 18,541
I think youv swayed me, if i need an extra 2db at 50hz i can always EQ it when on the go, i don't really like to EQ but when out & about and not critically listening its ok.
I have a Apogee Duet running through a Mac book pro, a EarStudio ES100 Mk2 and a LG V30.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I think the foams has done the trick👍 I'v gotta pop to the shop to get some Vap Liquid in a bit so ill test them out? But they feel really secure, i would take a photo to show you but my camera isn't working but, ill let you know what happens when I return from the shop? Thank you my friend i owe you one👍
As you know, I am a great enthusiast for the SOG, but I would caution that based on my hearing, if you are at all a bass head, then these may not be for you. I normally end up with red thru blue for my choice of bass level on IMRs, but for the SOGs it is definitely black. Not that the bass isn't there, it is, and it is beautifully resolved, it just isn't all that dominant. As Jon Parker said, I am more than happy with the overall sound signature that I'm not worried about the amount of bass. I do have an EQ profile to boost it a bit, but rarely enable it. Just my ten cents worth.

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #4,405 of 18,541
C'mon man! You're gonna love 'em they even match the color of the eyes in your avatar!

On another note, one of my all time favorites was the OG EDP but I sold it to make room for (and to finance) the Elysium. I loved that IEM and regretted selling it. So, I am stoked to see the EDP Ace and got myself on the waiting list.
Haha your right😝
I was really Intrested in the Ace cos i don't have a planar in my collection but im pushing out the boat buying one new model after paying over a ground for Mest mk2 and i really need something bass centric after selling my B.C! The Ace is SO SO tempting with the CNT(ADLC) & Planar and i really really love the new white & black it looks amazing. Have you spoke with Bob regarding the tunning of the Ace? If i could get a hefty amount of bass out it it could be more appealing than SOG?
Decisions decisions its so blinking hard when you know they ALL sound great but different, i suppose I'm looking for fun & bass with adequate technicalities rather than TOTL due to have MEST mk2 and ALL Bob's creations ticks both box's and some!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #4,406 of 18,541
As you know, I am a great enthusiast for the SOG, but I would caution that based on my hearing, if you are at all a bass head, then these may not be for you. I normally end up with red thru blue for my choice of bass level on IMRs, but for the SOGs it is definitely black. Not that the bass isn't there, it is, and it is beautifully resolved, it just isn't all that dominant. As Jon Parker said, I am more than happy with the overall sound signature that I'm not worried about the amount of bass. I do have an EQ profile to boost it a bit, but rarely enable it. Just my ten cents worth.
Thank you your ten cent is MUCH appreciated👍 iv emailed Bob to ask if he has anything Bass centered coming in the future and just waiting for a response?
To be really honest i won't Dark Matter BUT with the new 22% V.A.T i just can't afford it, after spending over one & half grand in 2021 there has to be a line drawn and SOG,Ace is pushing it but Dark Matter goes over that line!
Thank you & John for your help & advice it really helps👍

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #4,407 of 18,541
Just ordered some Newbee foam tips as I have the jaw connected issues too been using the large foams included in the IMR case which are perfect but only a single pair hope these are similar. I think I bought a few of your IMR sets from you off ebay. I now have 7 sets I'm addicted....
You won't be disappointed with the NewBee Foams i prefer them to Comply

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #4,408 of 18,541
I recollect someone commenting on the way details of previous IMR models disappear and suggesting that we have a database of some sort that would have all the models archived in it. I've taken to saving a capture of each of the models that are on the web site into Evernote. Is there any concrete activity to create such a database? Does anyone out there have the page saved, or maybe even just the details for the Elysium and the Opus Mia?

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #4,409 of 18,541
Keep in mind the final product is full black, those are just renders.

I'm interested in both but the Zenith II probably has the same poor fit as the OG. The Ace is very tempting just because I already have EDP which has a great fit and has juicy mids. Drums sound amazing with this set.

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #4,410 of 18,541
I recollect someone commenting on the way details of previous IMR models disappear and suggesting that we have a database of some sort that would have all the models archived in it. I've taken to saving a capture of each of the models that are on the web site into Evernote. Is there any concrete activity to create such a database? Does anyone out there have the page saved, or maybe even just the details for the Elysium and the Opus Mia?
https://web.archive.org/web/2020102...ions/latest-generations/products/imr-opus-mia

Attachments

• ELYSIUM - Pre Owned – IMR Acoustics.pdf
    194.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back