Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 11, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #3,316 of 18,077
GREEN filter might help, the green and silver has the largest ports of the 7 (and less bass), and you could easily play to cover a part of that port to your liking in the bass department, just by covering a part or placing something on top of it (surgical tape actually would make a lot of sense here) just remember that if you cover the whole port with something, it has to be porous or else it’s basically the black filter
Thanks Alex - That what ive been trying to remember. Ive modded a few headphones back in the day and I was trying to recall which way round it was!! I bought a number of different tapes a while back for just this aspect of modding - covering or semi covering openings

I can't stress enough though - There is nothing 'wrong' with the Astras :) They are incredible, no doubt - this is just me trying to tweak to match them to my specific current set up.
To be fair I should really wait until post 300+ hours but I couldn't resist having a good session with them going past 200 hours.

Its interesting because I have heard so many different incredible unique characteristics coming out of the Astra using different filters and at different times.
Now Im just waiting to see how all the drivers come together when they are ALL fully burned in as per their unique needs.
Thanks all for the thoughts & ideas -
Its just like tuning a formula 1 racing car :D

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #3,317 of 18,077
have you not tried the blue and then black, blue will give more than grey but not affect the whole spectrum as much as gold.
Thanks again - Blue lower / red top is behaving admirably at present :)

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #3,318 of 18,077
I tried the blue and you're right it doesn't actually 'just' make the IEM more bassy but I did find it a little aggressive.
I know the 'perfect' bass is there (for me) - The grey actually is giving superb, pretty much perfect bass guitar tonality for example but then I don't get enough weight or body in the actual lows to satisfy.
Im being super anal [ytical] about the tuning in large part as the Opus Mia and the Knight are just perfect for me with my current set up. Im getting there. Just trying to squeeze every last drop of specialness that the Astras have to offer :)

This is me -

If . . . I . . . can . . . . Just

I can sense the doom of unhappiness is abundant. You may as well cut your losses now i suppose and no point in fighting the inevitable. My address is.......Happy to help you and take them away from you. 😋

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3,319 of 18,077
I can sense the doom of unhappiness is abundant. You may as well cut your losses now i suppose and no point in fighting the inevitable. My address is.......Happy to help you and take them away from you. 😋

Its all part of the masterplan - you buy them from me . . . which then leaves me with a cool few hundreds of quids to play with. THEN Bob reveals his new 'Dogs Bollox' line of 'shut up and give me your money' IEMs the best of course which I then buy and after a long wait for postage and the new 800 hour needed burn in process is over . . .

PS Thanks for threatening to buy my Astra's - They are now 'coincidently' behaving themselves VERY nicely again which goes to prove that TOTL IEMs can be right proper little princesses so you do need to remember that and not let them act out on you. "If you don't bloomin well behave yourselves Daddy will sell you"
Ok...its getting weird now :D

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #3,320 of 18,077
Its all part of the masterplan - you buy them from me . . . which then leaves me with a cool few hundreds of quids to play with. THEN Bob reveals his new 'Dogs Bollox' line of 'shut up and give me your money' IEMs the best of course which I then buy and after a long wait for postage and the new 800 hour needed burn in process is over . . .

PS Thanks for threatening to buy my Astra's - They are now 'coincidently' behaving themselves VERY nicely again which goes to prove that TOTL IEMs can be right proper little princesses so you do need to remember that and not let them act out on you. "If you don't bloomin well behave yourselves Daddy will sell you"
Ok...its getting weird now :D

Alternatively, go down 1 level on the filter set to reduce the level of the mids/highs and turn the volume up a notch or two either using the grey or blue nozzle. More bass and the same mids/highs as before.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #3,321 of 18,077
Alternatively, go down 1 level on the filter set to reduce the level of the mids/highs and turn the volume up a notch or two either using the grey or blue nozzle. More bass and the same mids/highs as before.

Honestly - as its playing now, I think we have cracked it :) [blue lower/red upper] - perfect tonality and weight with the low end beautiful mids and great highs clarity.
- I was expecting a bit more sparkle but Im happy with where it is now - You can hear the purity and clarity but the profound details with lower filters is not there...Anyway...first world problems :D

Very different from out of teh box - thin, lacking low end, brittle highs but...As they are playing now they remind of the balance of the Opus Mia.. which is what Ive been trying too get to

Ive found the Astra to be very sensitive - if you change anything, it has an immediate and noticeable effect
All im waiting for now then is to see what we have going over the 300 hour mark

Ive been surprised a lot of times over the burn in

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #3,323 of 18,077
Honestly no point in trying to recreate something which you already have but that's just my preference. May as well make them do what they do best.

What I mean is that everything is well balanced - nothing is clamouring for attention - You can still hear the extra quality with this although you could argue...
Problem is - to get the incredible 3D holographic clarity and details you have to sacrifice any descent weight with the bass :/
But it can be a balancing act - working with a. the tuning b. characteristics of the IEM and c. your preference...which is fair enough
but as I say, I wanna see what happens after 300 hours :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #3,324 of 18,077
What I mean is that everything is well balanced - nothing is clamouring for attention - You can still hear the extra quality with this although you could argue...
Problem is - to get the incredible 3D holographic clarity and details you have to sacrifice any descent weight with the bass :/
But it can be a balancing act - working with a. the tuning b. characteristics of the IEM and c. your preference...which is fair enough
but as I say, I wanna see what happens after 300 hours :wink:

Treat yourself to a seriously fun pair for pleasures sake, go wild, be brave, raise your arms on the rollercoaster ride and grin from ear to ear.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,325 of 18,077
Treat yourself to a seriously fun pair for pleasures sake, go wild, be brave, raise your arms on the rollercoaster ride and grin from ear to ear.
You do know I am a human man boy . . .yes? :)
(referring to your robotic AI created ear drum punching no nature sound errrm music) :D
Its late, England lost, QUEL SURPREEESE and its back to work tomorrow :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #3,326 of 18,077
You do know I am a human man boy . . .yes? :)
(referring to your robotic AI created ear drum punching no nature sound errrm music) :D
Its late, England lost, QUEL SURPREEESE and its back to work tomorrow :frowning2:

So you have found that increase in bass you were looking for in my music offered lol, and you did say previously you love my taste in music 🤩

Here you go though

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #3,327 of 18,077
Elysiums are now well over 200 hours and have settled in to being wonderful. Ended up with Grey/Red for filters and Tenmark foam tips. Initially was worried about the extent of the soundstage, but the burn-in has taken care of that. Maybe not quite as wide as the open back option on my Opus Mias, but it is so engulfing that I am really happy. The Grey allows for strong extended bass without being boomy. The bass playing on the Oscar Peterson Trio, West Side Story, Reprise track is the most musical I've heard from an IEM, while the sub bass notes on Moon Light On Spring River by Zhao Cong are as powerfully presented as my OMs.
I was somewhat sceptical about the bone conduction driver as I don't see how it can transfer to the bony part of the ear when the IEM is isolated by the foam tip. However whether it is the bcd or whatever, there is a warmth and body to the midrange and overall presentation that is just magical and which is just so enjoyable and completely untiring to listen to.
I went from the blue to red filter as I found that there was a touch of glare in the treble with the blue which the red was able to contain but still leave the treble extension untouched.
I'm not a very good analytical listener, but I can say that as a listening experience, the Elysiums are outstanding.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #3,328 of 18,077
I went from the blue to red filter as I found that there was a touch of glare in the treble with the blue which the red was able to contain but still leave the treble extension untouched.
I'm not a very good analytical listener, but I can say that as a listening experience, the Elysiums are outstanding.
thanks for that feedback. If anything Im too much of an analytical listener! :/
I dont think ive ever had such a journey of different sounds as i have with the Astra
I put the black lower on today expecting the biggest low end yet but....
not so !? I had to change the red upper to the gold as the treble was a bit sharp but was good after that
So now it sounds as though the low end has moved its position more into a balanced area - sort of Bass-mid
but with a more balanced sub bass
Anyway, over all the black lower gives a unique open, fresh, alive sound, quite different from other filters
So many different flavours to choose from
The journey continues :D

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #3,330 of 18,077
Elysiums are now well over 200 hours and have settled in to being wonderful. Ended up with Grey/Red for filters and Tenmark foam tips. Initially was worried about the extent of the soundstage, but the burn-in has taken care of that. Maybe not quite as wide as the open back option on my Opus Mias, but it is so engulfing that I am really happy. The Grey allows for strong extended bass without being boomy. The bass playing on the Oscar Peterson Trio, West Side Story, Reprise track is the most musical I've heard from an IEM, while the sub bass notes on Moon Light On Spring River by Zhao Cong are as powerfully presented as my OMs.
I was somewhat sceptical about the bone conduction driver as I don't see how it can transfer to the bony part of the ear when the IEM is isolated by the foam tip. However whether it is the bcd or whatever, there is a warmth and body to the midrange and overall presentation that is just magical and which is just so enjoyable and completely untiring to listen to.
The Elysium's little brother EDP+ are not so good. My EDP+ have been playing for more than 150 h and treble detail, extension and soundstage are worse than my favorite TWS, the Sennheiser Momentum TW2. In fact, I am a bit disappointed with the EDP+...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back