IMR Acoustics EDP (Every Day Planar)
Aug 2, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #376 of 698
@holsen may I ask your advice/opinion on burn-in strategy for IEMs? What would you recommend? Thanks!
You bet! It's been my experience that the thing that affects whether "burn-in" is going to have any effect or not is 1. The type of driver and 2. The material the said driver is made of. BAs do not benefit from burn in and many Dynamics also get little to minimal benefit while many do. The beryllium in the IMR Aten drivers clearly benefit, as do the planar and presumably the ceramic piezos. But let's define what burn in is. In electronics. It's actually running current through the. Components like capacitors. Opamps, DAC chips etc which bring those components to operate at peak potential.
In an iem burn in is just running sound waves across the membranes so that the stretch or break in to operate at peak performance as they were designed.
I've come to the conclusion that while "burn in" benefits some drivers to different degrees and does not benefit others, it does not hurt any. SO, as a general rule if there's a DD in THERE (or a planar) I just let it run for 4 continuous days including the time I played with it in my ears before reaching a conclusion about how it sounds or what the best tip or cable might be. And in the case if IMR I don't settle on filter / damper combo until I've reached 100 hours or more.
As for procedure, some people have "pink noise" sound files they use which is supposed to be the best way... I don't know; I don't have any pink noise files. I figure I'm listening to music so I'll burn in with the very music I'll be listening to. So, I just plug into my DAP or desktop DAC / AMP and select "all songs" and let it play on continuous loop. If I normally listen at a volume of 30 out of 100 on a particular iem. I'll run it for 100 hours at 40. This works for me and I definitely notice a difference especially with IMRs. Hope that helps but if there's a specific question I didn't touch - feel free.

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #377 of 698
You bet! It's been my experience that the thing that affects whether "burn-in" is going to have any effect or not is 1. The type of driver and 2. The material the said driver is made of. BAs do not benefit from burn in and many Dynamics also get little to minimal benefit while many do. The beryllium in the IMR Aten drivers clearly benefit, as do the planar and presumably the ceramic piezos. But let's define what burn in is. In electronics. It's actually running current through the. Components like capacitors. Opamps, DAC chips etc which bring those components to operate at peak potential.
In an iem burn in is just running sound waves across the membranes so that the stretch or break in to operate at peak performance as they were designed.
I've come to the conclusion that while "burn in" benefits some drivers to different degrees and does not benefit others, it does not hurt any. SO, as a general rule if there's a DD in THERE (or a planar) I just let it run for 4 continuous days including the time I played with it in my ears before reaching a conclusion about how it sounds or what the best tip or cable might be. And in the case if IMR I don't settle on filter / damper combo until I've reached 100 hours or more.
As for procedure, some people have "pink noise" sound files they use which is supposed to be the best way... I don't know; I don't have any pink noise files. I figure I'm listening to music so I'll burn in with the very music I'll be listening to. So, I just plug into my DAP or desktop DAC / AMP and select "all songs" and let it play on continuous loop. If I normally listen at a volume of 30 out of 100 on a particular iem. I'll run it for 100 hours at 40. This works for me and I definitely notice a difference especially with IMRs. Hope that helps but if there's a specific question I didn't touch - feel free.
Wow--thank you! That's perfect. I really appreciate it. That's essentially what I've been doing, minus the higher volume. That makes sense. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #378 of 698
From what I read here, the EDP sounds a bit like the Shuor Tape? Has anyone compared the two?

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #379 of 698
Wow--thank you! That's perfect. I really appreciate it. That's essentially what I've been doing, minus the higher volume. That makes sense. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

To add something to this excellent reply. I personally find the pink noise burn in a bit of a brute force approach - pushing all frequencies through the driver at once. The Brandenburg Concertos by Bach are famous in that they contain all the frequencies but have the benefit of containing great dynamics...a much more natural approach to burn in
:)

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #380 of 698
From what I read here, the EDP sounds a bit like the Shuor Tape? Has anyone compared the two?
I used to own the Shuor Tape..
Similar in the sense that they both capable of producing some incredible details but both the planer driver itself and the quality of tuning of the EDP is far more 'qualified' A richer more realistic sound. The EDP can also be customized with different filters. They are both built and tuned to reflect what can be achieved in the realms of detail retrieval but I find the EDP is on a whole 'nother level

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #381 of 698
We wants it... we needs it... Must have the precious.......
basically my life... im watching how the Semper sell is going, knowing deep inside i cant afford it (even with the discount code) I cant even afford the 100usd Qudelix 5k that ive been meaning to get since May :frowning2:

Im waiting on my edp's, meanwhile im using my oBravo Cupid's which were modified by romi audio, it's going to be an amazing match when they come in and get their burn in treatment, the oBravo's scaled up a lot with romis mod, he changed the internal cables for pure silver, Bass got more presence and mids went from sort of "there but lacking punch" to "warm and filling"

I now Bob will surprise me with these ones, heck! the man is always outdoing himself

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #382 of 698

I own both, EDP and Tapes and hey sound different. EDP sounds better under every aspect except treble region IMHO. Edp has better bass, better vocals and instruments location. Unfortunately my EDP lacks in the treble extension; I don't know if it's a common EDP characteristic or if my copy is a little closed. Treble slight lack is the only aspect i don't like too much in the EDPs, their other performances are far above the price.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #383 of 698
I own both, EDP and Tapes. EDP sounds better under every aspect except treble region IMHO. Edp has better bass, better vocals and instruments location. Unfortunately my EDP lacks in the treble extension; I don't know if it's a common EDP characteristic or if is my copy a little closed. Treble slight lack is the only aspect i don't like too much in the EDPs, their other performances are far above the price.
Try different tips. When I first got the EDP I tried medium bore silicone, medium bore foam, and wide bore silicone (azla). In the first few hours, I was pretty sure the EDP would pair best with medium bore. Now that hours have passed, I went back to the Azla Sednas. They dial down the bass a touch but open up the treble and introduce more clarity (airiness, openness). I havent tried the Tennmak Whirlwinds yet, but they and the Sednas are my favs with the RAH for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #385 of 698
I too own both, and concur with the replies above.
I have a long way to go with nozzle/filter combo's on the EDP, and only have about 80-odd hours on them, but despite the love I have for the Tapes, the EDPs are better (for me, better more prominent mids/vocals, nicer sense of refinement generally).
My EDPs are definitely changing though, and may not have finished yet. At one point near the beginning the Tapes had clearly better bass presence and impact, and now the EDP have plenty of bass presence/prominence and they both have great impact in that region. Clarity and definition of percussion of all types is where the Tapes shine for me (apart from treble performance) and the EDP just barely beats them out in that respect.
The Tapes never sounded that abrasive to me, but the EDP does seem smoother and a little more refined under direct comparison (caveat: I have modded the nozzles of my Tapes just a little with a tube of 'dampening cloth', but since I really like the Tapes stock, I've kept changes minimal).
I really love my Tapes, but the EDP are definitely better in almost all ways (especially mids) and I'm hopeful that things may improve even further with tip rolling, nozzle/filter changes and more burn-in.
Very very pleased with both purchases :ksc75smile:

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #386 of 698
Just slapped on a pair of Whirlwinds and can confirm they play very nicely with EDP - very good bass presence with nice impact while at the same time providing a lot of openness, clarity, and resolution up top. They are VERY GOOD tip pairing with the EDP and they're cheap as chips! For the price, if you dont have them, roll the dice! Whirlwinds on AE
Whirlies on Amazon

One thing for sure, as the hours mount, I'm getting more impressed with the EDPs. They add everything that was missing on the P1s and give me everyting I had hoped for in the Cupids. Stellar job, Bob!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #387 of 698
Try different tips. When I first got the EDP I tried medium bore silicone, medium bore foam, and wide bore silicone (azla). In the first few hours, I was pretty sure the EDP would pair best with medium bore. Now that hours have passed, I went back to the Azla Sednas. They dial down the bass a touch but open up the treble and introduce more clarity (airiness, openness). I havent tried the Tennmak Whirlwinds yet, but they and the Sednas are my favs with the RAH for the same reasons.
Thank you for your answer. I've tried with Symbio Mandarines, Mandarines Peels and Azla Xelastec and changed several filters combos, now i am on grey/blue, no great differences. I hope at the burn-in end hghs will get better.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #388 of 698
My time with the IMR EDP and TRI i3.

IMR is a "boutique" firm based in the UK.
It has produced a number in ear monitors resulting in a following of loyal fans of the "IMR house sound".

The IMR EDP were limited in number and sold by pre-order. They are now sold out and they were sold at £159 plus tax and postage.

They come well packaged in a case with the earphones, two 1.4m cables, one 3.5mm single-ended, the other is a choice of 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced cables.

The cables are good quality and appear to have been hand made in Poland by the company, Forza. In addition the case holds two metal strips with various metal nozzles choices for the customer to tune to their heart’s content. You then have the usual selection of tips to cap your choice of nozzles.

Having seen the earphones in pictures, I thought they looked odd and industrial with the red strip. When I got them in my hands my view changed. The little grapes with red strips feel great well machined and "polished". They also fit in my ears well enough, not perfect though.

The cables are very good quality twisted 4 strands, leading up to two strands ending in a two pin connector.

The IMR EDP driver combination includes a 9mm planar magnetic driver and a 10mm dynamic driver.

TRI is an offshoot company of KBEAR. The TRI I3 is their second model, the first being TRI I4.

The TRI I3 was released sometime at the end of 2019. They have 3 drivers, one 8mm planar magnetic driver, one 10mm Dynamic Driver and a BA.

The IEMS come in a small package including, a cable, a soft velvety pouch and a selection of tips.
I bought the TRI I3 for £127 from Ali Express.

The soft velvety pouch which comes with the TRI I3 is nice to the touch but as it is a soft pouch, it does not offer much protection for the IEMs.

The TRI I3 has been described as "ear potatoes", which is an indication of their size. They look and feel huge initially. They are shiny chrome pieces (which sounds "blingy") but they have a good look and feel. More importantly, despite their size, they fit my ears snuggly and comfortably, without much protrusion. Isolation is very good, you get little sound intrusion.

The cable looks similar to the Tin P1 cable and they did not sound good as far as I am concerned. I replaced them with Dunu DUW02 cable with detachable and interchangeable plugs, which works perfectly well.

The TRI I3 fit better, in my ears and isolate better, than the IMR EDP.

Comparison
In summary, for those who do not want to read in detail, I am happy to say, both sets are very good and the differences in this comparison are marginal and arguably about sonic preferences rather than one being generally better than the other.
Both these IEMs are fantastic! No hyperbole, these are very very good IEMs. I don't believe in saying, "good for the price" and I am not saying that now, because in my view price does not determine quality and in the context of audio gear I refer to sound quality. I also think there is a lot of hyperbole around more expensive IEMs and over ear headphones which do not always live up to the hype. Granted, the cost of good quality materials and, research and development, add up to the cost, but what matters to the end user is the tuning.

The sound
The IMR EDPs deliver crisp and clear detail with such competence that you feel like you are in a studio. They do so with no sibilance in the treble, bloated bass or shouty mids. They also scale up in volume flawlessly.

The TRI I3 are like speakers stuffed into the ears. What makes them even better for me is that they scale very well. At low volumes (as low as 5 of 120 on Fiio M11)
Resolution is precise on both IEMs. Both IEMs sound clearly and with good separation, so that they present you with clear details. As you increase the volume there is no distortion. Although it must be said that they are in their element with amplification, which brings out their full potential.

I paired them with Samsung galaxy note 10 and Fiio M11, as my source, and for amplification variably, a Samsung dongle, Fiio BTR5 and the Littlebear B4X "pseudo tube" dac amp, mostly balanced 2.5mm on high gain.
20200801_135235.jpg

I used the Fiio music player app, but primarily the PowerAmp v.3 music player app plus Amazon, Idagio and Soundcloud streaming apps.

You may want to put on your monitors of choice and check out the music using the links.

Bass
On both IEMs, bass, is delivered as recorded and where the recording presents sub bass, the sub bass on the TRI I3 felt like REL speakers (I am serious) visceral bass which is delivered to your body without bothering with your ears. That rich and solid but tempered REL type bass presents itself better, in my view, than the brutal bass on other so-called bass monitors (speakers, over ear headphones or IEMs) because the bass does not attempt to knock you over the head like a thug with a blunt instrument. You know that type of bass that kills every note around it when it hits? That is not the bass on the TRI I3 or the IMR EDP, the sub bass and mid bass here is mature, sedate and yet satisfying.

The difference between the two IEMs is marginal but, for me, the TRI I3 has the more mature sub bass, it is a velvety, lush, deep and viseral bass. While the IMR EDP is only marginally behind, mainly because the sub bass is less pronounced than on the TRI I3.

Fourplay's album, Heartfelt, track Chant is a bass heavy song is [0.22]delivered with such wonderful after taste to every bass note and sprinkled with delicate mids and treble notes it just feels like the musicians are on a huge stage on the TRI I3 . The IMR EDP also delivers a healthy rich dose of music which feels like a recording studio playing with pin point accuracy as opposed to the more wider open stage on TRI I3.

Fourplay - Heartfelt - Chant:

Mids
What a joy, planar magnetic smooth mids are. Just so satisfying to hear Aretha Franklin and Michael Mcdonald deliver the vocals instruments on "Ever changing times" or hear Andrea Bocelli render "Besame Moucho". Whether it is a pianist, guitarist, singer or saxophonist theses IEMs will deliver their work faithfully. The mids on both the IMR EDP and the TRI I3 remind me of Byrilium headphones, the harmony, instruments working together beautifully. The difference is that the mids are further forward on the IMR, which makes them very good for vocals, guitar and piano for example.

Aretha Franklin and Michael Mcdonald - Ever changing times:

Andrea Bocelli - Besame Moucho:

Treble
On the TRI I3 treble is delivered without fanfare, just right. The IMR EDP is more forward giving the listener a prominent delivery of mids. Although treble is not overdone, listening to both IEMs takes you to the limit without sibilance. Listening to classical music, jazz and salsa was a joy. These two IEMs do sparkle quite well. The piano on the track 88 ways to love by Marcus Johnson is like the auditory version of popping candy in your mouth....pop, crackle, ting, tishaaaa, ping.....just the right amount and a good bass line to hold good the rhythm together. The difference is again marginal, and I sometimes struggle to tell these IEMs apart in the treble region but I will say the IMR EDPs are more forward in presentation of treble.

Marcus Johnson - 88 ways to love:

Harmony
For me, the sonic signature on the IMR EDP is comparatively brighter and the TRI I3 comparatively, darker. However, again here we are talking of marginal differences.

The TRI I3 is such a harmonic set (sometimes referred to as "musicality") no frequency is overdone, so no notes feel uncontrolled, on the contrary, the notes are so well controlled to be part of a harmonic whole that unlike the Blon B20 open back planar headphones (which I enjoy a lot, but at the right time) the TRI I3 do not demand my attention with delivery of detailed pinpoint notes,
The IMR EDP which are not demanding or exhausting either but are more forward so appears more detailed in their presentation of mids and treble without being in your face.

On other hand the TRI i3 just makes music sound harmonic. Some say, smooth, but that must be put into context, because they don't take away detail, sparkle, mids or deep viseral bass. It is about the harmony of instruments, not the individual notes, although you can pick specific notes out with ease, the tuning is for harmonic expression of the instruments together... music.

Sound stage
The sound stage on the TRI I3 is just fantastic and feels so realistic. The IMR EDP do not disappoint by any means but in comparison with the TRI I3 they fall short on sound stage.

Listening to Dave Koz "Saxophonic" on the TRI I3 is like being dropped on the front line of a battle between instruments with auditory weapons firing from all angles on both sets but more rounded on theTRI I3. I followed that with Carlos Santana "Nothing at all" a much calmer track but no less encompassing. The Acoustic Alchemy track, "Jamaica heartbeat", gave me even more of this wonderful sensation. Help! I could live in this fantasy world indefinitely, the sensation is so good.

Carlos Santana - Nothing at all:

On occasions when you have a good pair of earphones which give you the impression a sound is coming from outside your earphones as opposed to from within your earphones, you appreciate the good tuning. With the TRI I3 the clarity and resolution give the impression you are hearing sound from outside your earphones regularly. I was listening to a recording of live music from a forum on HEAD-FI (I believe it is:"Official free FLAC file music") and it felt Iike I was there with the musicians.....so good!

These two IEMs sound perfectly good without any EQ. I did stream, Amazon, Idagio and Soundcloud but without EQ and both sets were good fun, although the quality of recordings do vary. I have yet to use the additional nozzles and tips which come with the IMR EDP and apart from the cable I have not changed anything on the TRI. However, I use the same EQ settings on both using which has been interesting. The drivers handle the full range of the frequency spectrum with ease. Using PowerAmp, I set the various EQ settings I like, (not presets which in my view sound horrid).
With or without EQ, you can appreciate why both these IEMs could have been sold for much more and still be considered very good sets of IEMs. They are worth every penny and much more.
In conclusion, my view is the IMR EDPs are a very good set of IEMs, they give you very good bass, great mids and treble. Their studio-like delivery of music sound is very engaging and make you want to listen to music for hours, especially vocals, guitar and piano stand out on the EDP.

The TRI I3 also make you want to listen to music for hours but they are slightly darker and give you deep weighty bass and REL type viseral bass, while delivering delightful mids, brilliant sparkling treble and bringing everything together for sublime and wholesome harmony. The sound stage on the TRI I3 sets it apart from many IEMs and the IMR EDPs are also overshadowed by the TRI I3 on sound stage, the TRI deliver a concert type sound stage, without the shortcomings of open air live music, in other words precision is not lost. I have to say that puts the TRI I3, just, but only just, ahead of the EDPs for me and it is a question of taste. However, you cannot go wrong choosing either the TRI I3 or the IMR EDP, you will get exceptionally good IEMs which will give you a lot of pleasure, regardless of whichever set you choose.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #389 of 698
My time with the IMR EDP and TRI i3.

IMR is a "boutique" firm based in the UK.
It has produced a number in ear monitors resulting in a following of loyal fans of the "IMR house sound".

The IMR EDP were limited in number and sold by pre-order. They are now sold out and they were sold at £159 plus tax and postage.

They come well packaged in a case with the earphones, two 1.4m cables, one 3.5mm single-ended, the other is a choice of 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced cables.

The cables are good quality and appear to have been hand made in Poland by the company, Forza. In addition the case holds two metal strips with various metal nozzles choices for the customer to tune to their heart’s content. You then have the usual selection of tips to cap your choice of nozzles.

Having seen the earphones in pictures, I thought they looked odd and industrial with the red strip. When I got them in my hands my view changed. The little grapes with red strips feel great well machined and "polished". They also fit in my ears well enough, not perfect though.

The cables are very good quality twisted 4 strands, leading up to two strands ending in a two pin connector.

The IMR EDP driver combination includes a 9mm planar magnetic driver and a 10mm dynamic driver.

TRI is an offshoot company of KBEAR. The TRI I3 is their second model, the first being TRI I4.

The TRI I3 was released sometime at the end of 2019. They have 3 drivers, one 8mm planar magnetic driver, one 10mm Dynamic Driver and a BA.

The IEMS come in a small package including, a cable, a soft velvety pouch and a selection of tips.
I bought the TRI I3 for £127 from Ali Express.

The soft velvety pouch which comes with the TRI I3 is nice to the touch but as it is a soft pouch, it does not offer much protection for the IEMs.

The TRI I3 has been described as "ear potatoes", which is an indication of their size. They look and feel huge initially. They are shiny chrome pieces (which sounds "blingy") but they have a good look and feel. More importantly, despite their size, they fit my ears snuggly and comfortably, without much protrusion. Isolation is very good, you get little sound intrusion.

The cable looks similar to the Tin P1 cable and they did not sound good as far as I am concerned. I replaced them with Dunu DUW02 cable with detachable and interchangeable plugs, which works perfectly well.

The TRI I3 fit better, in my ears and isolate better, than the IMR EDP.

Comparison
In summary, for those who do not want to read in detail, I am happy to say, both sets are very good and the differences in this comparison are marginal and arguably about sonic preferences rather than one being generally better than the other.
Both these IEMs are fantastic! No hyperbole, these are very very good IEMs. I don't believe in saying, "good for the price" and I am not saying that now, because in my view price does not determine quality and in the context of audio gear I refer to sound quality. I also think there is a lot of hyperbole around more expensive IEMs and over ear headphones which do not always live up to the hype. Granted, the cost of good quality materials and, research and development, add up to the cost, but what matters to the end user is the tuning.

The sound
The IMR EDPs deliver crisp and clear detail with such competence that you feel like you are in a studio. They do so with no sibilance in the treble, bloated bass or shouty mids. They also scale up in volume flawlessly.

The TRI I3 are like speakers stuffed into the ears. What makes them even better for me is that they scale very well. At low volumes (as low as 5 of 120 on Fiio M11)
Resolution is precise on both IEMs. Both IEMs sound clearly and with good separation, so that they present you with clear details. As you increase the volume there is no distortion. Although it must be said that they are in their element with amplification, which brings out their full potential.

I paired them with Samsung galaxy note 10 and Fiio M11, as my source, and for amplification variably, a Samsung dongle, Fiio BTR5 and the Littlebear B4X "pseudo tube" dac amp, mostly balanced 2.5mm on high gain.
20200801_135235.jpg

I used the Fiio music player app, but primarily the PowerAmp v.3 music player app plus Amazon, Idagio and Soundcloud streaming apps.

You may want to put on your monitors of choice and check out the music using the links.

Bass
On both IEMs, bass, is delivered as recorded and where the recording presents sub bass, the sub bass on the TRI I3 felt like REL speakers (I am serious) visceral bass which is delivered to your body without bothering with your ears. That rich and solid but tempered REL type bass presents itself better, in my view, than the brutal bass on other so-called bass monitors (speakers, over ear headphones or IEMs) because the bass does not attempt to knock you over the head like a thug with a blunt instrument. You know that type of bass that kills every note around it when it hits? That is not the bass on the TRI I3 or the IMR EDP, the sub bass and mid bass here is mature, sedate and yet satisfying.

The difference between the two IEMs is marginal but, for me, the TRI I3 has the more mature sub bass, it is a velvety, lush, deep and viseral bass. While the IMR EDP is only marginally behind, mainly because the sub bass is less pronounced than on the TRI I3.

Fourplay's album, Heartfelt, track Chant is a bass heavy song is [0.22]delivered with such wonderful after taste to every bass note and sprinkled with delicate mids and treble notes it just feels like the musicians are on a huge stage on the TRI I3 . The IMR EDP also delivers a healthy rich dose of music which feels like a recording studio playing with pin point accuracy as opposed to the more wider open stage on TRI I3.

Fourplay - Heartfelt - Chant:

Mids
What a joy, planar magnetic smooth mids are. Just so satisfying to hear Aretha Franklin and Michael Mcdonald deliver the vocals instruments on "Ever changing times" or hear Andrea Bocelli render "Besame Moucho". Whether it is a pianist, guitarist, singer or saxophonist theses IEMs will deliver their work faithfully. The mids on both the IMR EDP and the TRI I3 remind me of Byrilium headphones, the harmony, instruments working together beautifully. The difference is that the mids are further forward on the IMR, which makes them very good for vocals, guitar and piano for example.

Aretha Franklin and Michael Mcdonald - Ever changing times:

Andrea Bocelli - Besame Moucho:

Treble
On the TRI I3 treble is delivered without fanfare, just right. The IMR EDP is more forward giving the listener a prominent delivery of mids. Although treble is not overdone, listening to both IEMs takes you to the limit without sibilance. Listening to classical music, jazz and salsa was a joy. These two IEMs do sparkle quite well. The piano on the track 88 ways to love by Marcus Johnson is like the auditory version of popping candy in your mouth....pop, crackle, ting, tishaaaa, ping.....just the right amount and a good bass line to hold good the rhythm together. The difference is again marginal, and I sometimes struggle to tell these IEMs apart in the treble region but I will say the IMR EDPs are more forward in presentation of treble.

Marcus Johnson - 88 ways to love:

Harmony
For me, the sonic signature on the IMR EDP is comparatively brighter and the TRI I3 comparatively, darker. However, again here we are talking of marginal differences.

The TRI I3 is such a harmonic set (sometimes referred to as "musicality") no frequency is overdone, so no notes feel uncontrolled, on the contrary, the notes are so well controlled to be part of a harmonic whole that unlike the Blon B20 open back planar headphones (which I enjoy a lot, but at the right time) the TRI I3 do not demand my attention with delivery of detailed pinpoint notes,
The IMR EDP which are not demanding or exhausting either but are more forward so appears more detailed in their presentation of mids and treble without being in your face.

On other hand the TRI i3 just makes music sound harmonic. Some say, smooth, but that must be put into context, because they don't take away detail, sparkle, mids or deep viseral bass. It is about the harmony of instruments, not the individual notes, although you can pick specific notes out with ease, the tuning is for harmonic expression of the instruments together... music.

Sound stage
The sound stage on the TRI I3 is just fantastic and feels so realistic. The IMR EDP do not disappoint by any means but in comparison with the TRI I3 they fall short on sound stage.

Listening to Dave Koz "Saxophonic" on the TRI I3 is like being dropped on the front line of a battle between instruments with auditory weapons firing from all angles on both sets but more rounded on theTRI I3. I followed that with Carlos Santana "Nothing at all" a much calmer track but no less encompassing. The Acoustic Alchemy track, "Jamaica heartbeat", gave me even more of this wonderful sensation. Help! I could live in this fantasy world indefinitely, the sensation is so good.

Carlos Santana - Nothing at all:

On occasions when you have a good pair of earphones which give you the impression a sound is coming from outside your earphones as opposed to from within your earphones, you appreciate the good tuning. With the TRI I3 the clarity and resolution give the impression you are hearing sound from outside your earphones regularly. I was listening to a recording of live music from a forum on HEAD-FI (I believe it is:"Official free FLAC file music") and it felt Iike I was there with the musicians.....so good!

These two IEMs sound perfectly good without any EQ. I did stream, Amazon, Idagio and Soundcloud but without EQ and both sets were good fun, although the quality of recordings do vary. I have yet to use the additional nozzles and tips which come with the IMR EDP and apart from the cable I have not changed anything on the TRI. However, I use the same EQ settings on both using which has been interesting. The drivers handle the full range of the frequency spectrum with ease. Using PowerAmp, I set the various EQ settings I like, (not presets which in my view sound horrid).
With or without EQ, you can appreciate why both these IEMs could have been sold for much more and still be considered very good sets of IEMs. They are worth every penny and much more.
In conclusion, my view is the IMR EDPs are a very good set of IEMs, they give you very good bass, great mids and treble. Their studio-like delivery of music sound is very engaging and make you want to listen to music for hours, especially vocals, guitar and piano stand out on the EDP.

The TRI I3 also make you want to listen to music for hours but they are slightly darker and give you deep weighty bass and REL type viseral bass, while delivering delightful mids, brilliant sparkling treble and bringing everything together for sublime and wholesome harmony. The sound stage on the TRI I3 sets it apart from many IEMs and the IMR EDPs are also overshadowed by the TRI I3 on sound stage, the TRI deliver a concert type sound stage, without the shortcomings of open air live music, in other words precision is not lost. I have to say that puts the TRI I3, just, but only just, ahead of the EDPs for me and it is a question of taste. However, you cannot go wrong choosing either the TRI I3 or the IMR EDP, you will get exceptionally good IEMs which will give you a lot of pleasure, regardless of whichever set you choose.

Enjoy!

Really great write up. Thank you for sharing. I've been curious about the Tri i3 and almost pulled the trigger back in April but didn't, knowing that my EDPs would eventually arrive. Curiosity satisfied and not an ounce of regret. Really appreciate this detailed comparison.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #390 of 698
Really great write up. Thank you for sharing. I've been curious about the Tri i3 and almost pulled the trigger back in April but didn't, knowing that my EDPs would eventually arrive. Curiosity satisfied and not an ounce of regret. Really appreciate this detailed comparison.

Honestly, it was a difficult yet pleasurable comparison.

Difficult because not only do you have to listen closely, but because they are so close in sound quality, I had to listen repeatedly.

Pleasurable because I have listened intently to many different tracks on two worthy IEMs with brilliant qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back