IMR Acoustics EDP (Every Day Planar)
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #213 of 698
When I'm out and about and traveling, I always bring along some foams because I know I can always rely on them and they seal & isolate so well. From now on it will be the Tennmaks; they are really good IMHO and have worked well with every IEM I've tried them with: TENNMAK 12pcs Ultra Strong Earphone Memory Foam Eartips Ear Tips

After reading Holsens recommendation of the new Tenmark foams I ordered a set. Only took 1 week to arrive o_0
Happy to report they are indeed quite excellent - no noticeable unwanted changes in the sound. They are very similar in sound to the NewBee foams (which are my go to now for pretty much everything)
They are a but shorter and softer than the Newbees which is great as with the EDP's the driver is a bit closer to the ear which helps the low end
At first I was worried as they feel similar to the Dekoni foams (which I found to be dreadful!)

They do subtley soften the sound but interestingly, in a way that results in a tad more natural sound.
Anyway, Top Marks and thanks to holsen for finding and sharing such a superb new tip :)

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #214 of 698
Few days in and I'm not too happy about the cables (been never a fan of the stock cables anyway) - they slip out easily for me, nearly lost one when it came off in the pocket of my hoodie. Whereas on the RAH they would sit so tight, that they wouldn't move.
Thanks for the heads-up; I've not had a problem yet, but I'll confirm if I do!

EDIT: Left one popped out. DAMN. Good thing I have spares... Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #215 of 698
I took the EDPs out for a walk and with a slight breeze, they are like being in a wind tunnel. They just suck the breeze right in somehow. I'll try some different tips, but I don't think it is the seal.

On a positive note, I've not heard a better guitar on monitors more than 10x their price. The timbre is fantastic. Outside was my intended use so I doubt I'll keep them though :frowning2:

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #216 of 698
I took the EDPs out for a walk and with a slight breeze, they are like being in a wind tunnel. They just suck the breeze right in somehow. I'll try some different tips, but I don't think it is the seal.

On a positive note, I've not heard a better guitar on monitors more than 10x their price. The timbre is fantastic. Outside was my intended use so I doubt I'll keep them though :frowning2:
So, the guitar, yes. Oh, yes. I had Stevie Ray Vaughn on for about 2 hours yesterday and I was like, all goosbumpy.

So, the wind tunnel.... I haven't experienced that.

Just now, to make sure, I turned on a fan and stood in front of it. Yes, I am a dork. No wind sound for me... is it both? Equally? The reason I ask is that if it is only one, perhaps there is a defect in the casing or similar; if it is both, then the odds of the same precise defect would be lower (in my mind). These buds are pretty closed, overall; where do you think the noise is coming from?

EXPERIMENT: There's one tiny hole near the cable... If you cover them up with a little smidge of tape, does the noise go away?

I'm using the silicones that came with, FYI.

I hate that you're experiencing this :frowning2:, but I love a mystery :)

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #217 of 698
EXPERIMENT: There's one tiny hole near the cable... If you cover them up with a little smidge of tape, does the noise go away?

This was going to be my suggestion too but I have solved 2 mysteries in the last hour already so all I can say is my money is on the butler who did it.

There is also potentially the hole in the nozzle if anything other than black or gold is used.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #219 of 698
So, the guitar, yes. Oh, yes. I had Stevie Ray Vaughn on for about 2 hours yesterday and I was like, all goosbumpy.

Just now, to make sure, I turned on a fan and stood in front of it. Yes, I am a dork. No wind sound for me... is it both? Equally? The reason I ask is that if it is only one, perhaps there is a defect in the casing or similar; if it is both, then the odds of the same precise defect would be lower (in my mind). These buds are pretty closed, overall; where do you think the noise is coming from?

Ha - Love it. Thanks for experimenting. I don't have a fan, but will take them out tomorrow and do some experimenting myself. I was using SpinFit double flange, which usually seals quite good but who knows.

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #220 of 698
You have to push strongly connectors into the socket. Yesterday i was almost afraid, my right connector was always slipping away from the socket. I pushed it into using much force and it enter into the socket like an hand into the glove. All ok now. Do you like EDPs? They are better than Tapes IMHO
They are most certainly better than the Tapes, the mids are much more defined and not as subdued as on the Tapes (which still sound leagues above many others in this regard), but the Tapes have a more impactful low end.

Agree on what was said regarding guitars - played some Agalloch and some Big Brave and it's most certainly a guitar IEM.

Haven't experienced the "wind tunnel", as they are pretty plan in my ears. I can even use them on the bike (with some wind noise from the cable of course).

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #221 of 698

So it is the vent hole causing the wind noise (only happens with the wind at my face and I plugged to check). Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it but it is really noticeable (to me). I've had quite a few hybrids with vent holes and haven't heard the same with them. Really just a minor inconvenience I guess.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #222 of 698
Very cool that you repeated the experiment; not cool that your new IEMs for commuting are hissing in yer ear.
One last thought: if it doesn't affect the sound in a negative way perhaps 2 tiny little plugs/caps? Heck, you could take them in and out!

Or, you could also try a different IEM, but not nearly such an adventure, hehe. :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #224 of 698
Ok, so this was the first and last time I bought anything from IMR. Last week Bob disingenuously implied that he'd already sent my EDP. On Friday I got a tracking number that was dead until today, and only today did it state that my order was posted... today and not last week. Meanwhile, my e-mails remain unanswered. I don't care how good the EDP will turn out to be.

/rant

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #225 of 698
Ok, so this was the first and last time I bought anything from IMR. Last week Bob disingenuously implied that he'd already sent my EDP. On Friday I got a tracking number that was dead until today, and only today did it state that my order was posted... today and not last week. Meanwhile, my e-mails remain unanswered. I don't care how good the EDP will turn out to be.

/rant
My experience is that, since Bob delivers large numbers of packages to a very small post office, he gets a tracking number from the post office, but when the post office actually processes and sends off the packages is not under his control.

This is not to defend, just to state what I understand. Everyone is, of course, welcome to patronize any vendor for any reason!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back