Improving srh940 experience with M7 reverb (and perhaps other headphones)
Sep 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm using a reverb effect with my srh940, and I found it improves the experience in many areas (so much for a single dsp effect...). It's not that the srh940 are not enjoyable without the reverb, but I  found the sound more neutral & relaxing & with increased soundstage. Every time I tried to listen to music without the reverb, I've been tempted to put it back, because at least I avoid some fatigue, and the soundstage is just greater. And it's very nice with piano. I've limited amount of reverb, so that the result is quite natural. Let me explain how to use the M7 reverb with foobar.

You need first for this the vst plugin Reverberate form liquidsonics.com .This one exists on three versions. Unfortunately the feature "True stereo convolution reverb" is only supported by the two commercial version,  so forget the free LE version. Cheapest version is 30 pounds ( Don't pirate, encourage efforts of the developper ).

The  player I  use is foobar. You need a vst bridge & sox resampler plugin (provided by the "foobar community")
Get the latest sox resampler here (foo_dsp_resampler) :
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373
Get the new vst adapter (foo_vst) here :
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373
Remark: if you  prefer you can use also the older "George Yohng's VST wrapper" for vst support inside foobar.

Get the free M7 impulse response from
http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=667
Remark: The M7  impulse response, is what truely define the reverb. I  didn't find a freeware that properly support it.

And finally get my preset ( you can also edit the presets provided by rhythminmind.net, more details later).
http://flameupload.com/files/LPXNAR8F/med%20dark%2027-6.zip

Now I  suppose that you've installed foobar, and the vst reverberate (32 bit vst version, even if you have a 64 bit system). Use preferably a recent version of reverberate, at least 1.705 .
Unzip the m7 impulse response file in a convenient place, that will remain.
Unzip the preset I've provided in a place you want.
Install both plugins foo_dsp_resampler.dll & foo_vst.dll inside foobar (Go to menu "files/preferences/components").
Now go inside foobar to menu "files/preferences/components/vst plugins", and select the Reverberate dll  (normally
located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins\LiquidSonics\Reverberate\Reverberate.dll )

Restart foobar. Finally go to menu "files/preferences/playback/dsp manager".
Add for the first dsp (top), the sox resampler, set the sampling rate to 96000 hz (same rate as impulse rate).
Now add reverberate to the dsp chain.

Configure reverberate:
Press load/save button at the top of the preset browser , choose "current bank of preset/load fxb bank of presets" ,
browse to my preset "med dark 27-6.fxb". You'll probably get an error that a wav is missing (otherwise redo it ) , then browse
to the correct wav location (inside m7 impulse response folder , ambience subfolder).  Ensure  the first preset "med dark" is selected. Resave the fxb bank, this is to prevent further errors that the wav are missing.
To do this, use load/save button then "current bank of preset/save preset as fxb bank" on desktop for instance.
Let's name the saved preset "mypreset.fxb". Move it to a place, that will remain on your system.
Now do button load/save , then "current bank of preset/load fxb bank of presets" and load "mypreset.fxb".
Now do button load/save , then "bank initialisations options/choose user defined bank" and load "mypreset.fxb".
Now button load/save , then "bank initialisations options/initialise with user defined bank" . You should get the message that "mypreset.fxb" is loaded. Now ensure the dsp chain is applied in foobar.
Restart foobar.

Note: For better playback accuracy, use wasapi or asio and 24 bit output mode. I prefer wasapi.
I suppose your soundcard support 96 000 hz, otherwise I  suggest you downsample in the dsp chain using
sox resampler again. Result is less good when applying reverb directly to 44100 hz.

You can enjoy the result now.

Some details about the preset I  suggest, optional reading:
I've changed sligthly the default fxb "bank of presets" I  got from rhythminmind.net (available on m7 impulse set page)
I  used to start the preset "medium & dark", and to avoid some bug, I  made a copy, so that it appears as the first preset (renamed as med dark).  I  decreased the amount of reverb, using the top right mixer gain setting (on "IR1 Edit" tab , set to -27 db),otherwise it's too much pronounced. Finally I  decreased the overall volume (- 6 db), to avoid clipping after applying reverb the effect (mixer tab, button gain from "final mix"). I  guess that with an other headphone, you'd use an other impulse set than "medium & dark".

That's all folks. I  hope some people will be tempted to experiment, otherwise never mind. Yeah reverberate is not free, but ... the  result is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back