Improving over current DT990 setup.
Oct 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bassfreek

New Head-Fier
So I have the Creative Sound Blaster Z, Schiit Magni amplifier, and DT990 250ohm premium. I'm really happy with it as the sound is incredible but I'm curious how much room there really is for improvement. Would a Schiit Vallhalla tube amplifier improve the sound dramatically over the Magni? Also would a Schiit Loki or some other usb DAC improve the audio over my Sound Blaster Z? I do alot of fps gaming so sound positioning is really important, which the Sound Blaster does wonderfully for me on that front. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 2
  So I have the Creative Sound Blaster Z, Schiit Magni amplifier, and DT990 250ohm premium. I'm really happy with it as the sound is incredible but I'm curious how much room there really is for improvement. Would a Schiit Vallhalla tube amplifier improve the sound dramatically over the Magni? Also would a Schiit Loki or some other USB DAC improve the audio over my Sound Blaster Z? I do a lot of fps gaming so sound positioning is really important, which the Sound Blaster does wonderfully for me on that front. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I'm an Essence STX and O2 amp user, been looking at getting the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/Amp, $275-$295.
You could run optical from the SB-Z to the NFB-15.32 (for gaming), but use the NFB-15.32's USB connection for music.
Sell off the Magni for cash.

Or sell off the Magni and SB-Z and get the SB-ZxR (Sound Blaster ZxR), $229,
has a better DAC and better amp (then the SB-Z).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back