Improve SQ of laptop
Aug 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #31 of 34
BTW, did you compare KS(in XP compatibily mode) against WASAPI in Reclock? what diff. did you hear? on what gear? can you honestly ID them w/o knowing(not that it proves anything)?

My empirical experience has learned me to be humble towards computer audio...but it's more about the buffer size and thread priority IMO, Can you honestly identify ASIO/KS/WASAPI w/o knowning?

I tried XXHighEnd ages ago on an M-Audio Audiophile USB on XP/ASIO, and I couldn't really believe that it was bit-perfect(I still don't).

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #32 of 34
Seeing that your laptop doesn't even sound as good as your iPod, I would not worry about the software at this point. mp3/lossless, ASIO, bitperfect, etc. are all valid things to consider in computer audio, but it only makes sense to do so once you've reached a minimum level of sound quality. Seems to me that your laptop's soundcard is the bottleneck right now.

I second the uDAC recommendation. You'll get a far higher improvement out of it that anything from software. It should sound much better than an iPod too. Only after you've hooked up a uDAC, or any other good dac+amp really (*cough* Aune *cough*), should you look into software improvements.

Quote:
Hi! I am new to this forum so sorry if I am posting it in wrong section.
I have sennheiser  HD 428. I am satisfied with its sound quality when I use it in my nokia 5233 or in my ipod. But when I plug it in laptop it is very disappointing.
I have a dell vostro 1510 which has a realtek onboard soundcard. I am using windows 7 and all my drivers are upto date. I mostly listein songs in WMP and all are at either mp3 320kbps or flac.
Is there any way I can improve its sound quality by using any software which can give optimized sound for headphones.
If amp is necessary do recommend some brands.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #33 of 34

Quote:
BTW, did you compare KS(in XP compatibily mode) against WASAPI in Reclock? what diff. did you hear? on what gear? can you honestly ID them w/o knowing(not that it proves anything)?

My empirical experience has learned me to be humble towards computer audio...but it's more about the buffer size and thread priority IMO, Can you honestly identify ASIO/KS/WASAPI w/o knowning?

I tried XXHighEnd ages ago on an M-Audio Audiophile USB on XP/ASIO, and I couldn't really believe that it was bit-perfect(I still don't).

KS via ReClock vs. Wasapi in Reclock sounds different to me.  KS is a tad more clear in the upper mid range.  Wasapi always sounds a bit smoother to me, smoother than ASIO as well.

Like you say, buffer size and thread priority can have a bigger impact on sound esp buffer size.  USB latency also has an equal affect on sound.

Well to me everything can potentially sound different.  I try things over and over on different days, weeks, months before I let myself believe one way or another.  Bad thing is it makes for a messy setup for a long time.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #34 of 34

KS via ReClock vs. Wasapi in Reclock sounds different to me.  KS is a tad more clear in the upper mid range.  Wasapi always sounds a bit smoother to me, smoother than ASIO as well.

Like you say, buffer size and thread priority can have a bigger impact on sound esp buffer size.  USB latency also has an equal affect on sound.

Then you might be listening to the W7 audio stack mumbo jumbo, because KS on Vista/W7 is deprecated AFAIK...and should be wrapped to WASAPI.

Also, did you play around w/ WaveRT drivers?

Concerning USB latency, you really wanna hear what ADuM4160 can do for you, totally eye popping! just like this guy said: http://diyparadise.com/forum/index.php?topic=1063.msg11167#msg11167

"it is funny, all the sounds are there, some details too, it just doesn't  sound so realistic without the USB-isolator. Music Dies away. Some of the magic dies out, the room perspective, depth is not so clear.. It's not coming out of the speakers properly without the isolator... Funny!"

BTW, what's the Sony phone on your site pics? MDR-CD250?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back