Impressions - Single Power Extreme (standard cfg)
Apr 24, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 98
Question from a Tube noob: (i have used tube bass amplifiers but never anything headphone-based)

Why would you want a tube amp to sound "less tubey?" If you wanted this, why not go for something Solid-State? From my experience with bass amps, the tube sound is picked specifically for its distinct differences and warm, expressive tone.

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, so with different tubes, it has the potential to sound more 'tubey'?

Definitely, I believe when Raif was trying out one at the end of the meet to determine if he wanted to buy one or not. Mikhail swapped in one tube and the sound became very tubey and he was sold. If Raif comments you'll know for sure and perhaps get some details on the swapped in tube. I believe Mikhail said it was something like a tube that sells for 100-150 on ebay but Raif later on said it was 50 bucks so I really have no idea ;p

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question from a Tube noob: (i have used tube bass amplifiers but never anything headphone-based)

Why would you want a tube amp to sound "less tubey?" If you wanted this, why not go for something Solid-State? From my experience with bass amps, the tube sound is picked specifically for its distinct differences and warm, expressive tone.

Haha, are we twins or something? I've only experienced tubes in bass amps too, and I just asked a similar question a few posts above. :p

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the Extreme also have speaker binding posts to drive book shelf speakers well or as good as other amps in that price range? Just curious because I think someone had that configured in their version.

You can request SP to have it installed. Foo_me had it installed on his upgraded Extreme SLAM, and that particular unit is sitting on my workstation.

.... no, I haven't got chance to try it with speakers....
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe Mikhail said it was something like a tube that sells for 100-150 on ebay but Raif later on said it was 50 bucks so I really have no idea ;p

Just looked online. It does go for about 100->150 on ebay. radical

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #22 of 98
I am the one who convinced Mikhail to start building tube socket adapters to begin with. Why the adapters? Better sound and more availability for less money. You dont need super expensive tubes to make these amps sound good. I am using a $6 GE 5670 driving a pair of $8 GE 6bl7gta's in my MPX3; fabulous sound. I have a $6 RCA 6gu7 driving a pair of $11 RCA 6as7g's in my Extreme; same story.

There is a lot of what I call tube snobbery going on where certain tubes are glorified and other tubes are discounted. You dont need 300b's and Tung Sol black glass roundplates to get exceptional sound. Having listened to a huge cross section of tubes I can tell you some of the unknown tubes that you can buy for peanuts are as good or better than many of the highly touted tubes. Furthermore, even a truly good tube doesnt always work synergistically in some setups. What the adapters also allow you to do is experiment and find your sound inexpensively. I can buy a tube socket adapter and a lifetime supply of many tubes for the price of one expensive 6sn7gt.

As far as the tube vs solid state sound .... the Extreme can have SS characteristics with some tubes but the amp can definitely sound as tubey as imaginable if you tube the amp to sound that way. Put in a RCA 6sn7gt or RCA 12av7 with a random pair of 6080's and see if that sounds solid state. I guarentee you the amp will sound tubey in almost any setup with those tubes. Personally, I like a fast, clean sound but I still need the body and richness of tubes to be fully satisfied.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 98
is the MPX3 tubier sounding?
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am the one who convinced Mikhail to start building tube socket adapters to begin with. Why the adapters? Better sound and more availability for less money. You dont need super expensive tubes to make these amps sound good. I am using a $6 GE 5670 driving a pair of $8 GE 6bl7gta's in my MPX3; fabulous sound. I have a $6 RCA 6gu7 driving a pair of $11 RCA 6as7g's in my Extreme; same story.

There is a lot of what I call tube snobbery going on where certain tubes are glorified and other tubes are discounted. You dont need 300b's and Tung Sol black glass roundplates to get exceptional sound. Having listened to a huge cross section of tubes I can tell you some of the unknown tubes that you can buy for peanuts are as good or better than many of the highly touted tubes. Furthermore, even a truly good tube doesnt always work synergistically in some setups. What the adapters also allow you to do is experiment and find your sound inexpensively. I can buy a tube socket adapter and a lifetime supply of many tubes for the price of one expensive 6sn7gt.

As far as the tube vs solid state sound .... the Extreme can have SS characteristics with some tubes but the amp can definitely sound as tubey as imaginable if you tube the amp to sound that way. Put in a RCA 6sn7gt or RCA 12av7 with a random pair of 6080's and see if that sounds solid state. I guarentee you the amp will sound tubey in almost any setup with those tubes. Personally, I like a fast, clean sound but I still need the body and richness of tubes to be fully satisfied.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #24 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the MPX3 tubier sounding?

Again, depends on the tubes. If they both had the same tubes, which isnt currently possible, then I would guess the MPX3 might be a tad tubier. But I am guessing.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #25 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does the Extreme and the GS-X sound different? If so, what is the difference?

I don't understand the point of your question. The Extreme is a tube amp and single-ended, the GS-X is a Gilmore-based solid-state and single-ended & balanced. If the two didn't sound different, there would have to be something very wrong in the world.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #26 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, are we twins or something? I've only experienced tubes in bass amps too, and I just asked a similar question a few posts above. :p

Wow I just noticed that....
blink.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #28 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you also describe the Extreme as non or little ear fatiguing?

or does it really depend on what tubes for that consideration.

I would say non. I cant think of a tube set I have used that was fatiguing .... even the brighter ones. Of course this depends on the headphones and source too. My MS2i, which is my brightest headphone, sounds FAST, clean and alive and I can listen as long as I want to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #30 of 98
I'm using the standard config Extreme and am, well, extremely pleased! This was my first tube amp and I really enjoy the warmth and richness that I get when coupled with my HD650s. I'm very curious to know how other tubes sound in this amp, but am going to wait for a bit to really "get to know" the standard tube set. My wife was very impressed with the sound and actually told me she wants a set of her own HD650s. I got all excited and said, "Really?!?" She laughed, got up, and left my listening area. I think I"m slowly drawing her in to my head-fi world.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back