Impressions - Single Power Extreme (standard cfg)
Jun 11, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #91 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by panyncor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noisy tubes aside, my Extreme Platinum is also dead silent.

I agree about the 6414 and would also recommend the 7062. It's a high-gain tall bottle like the 6414 and has a very powerful, authoritative sound.

I think the best 6sn7 I've tried so far is a Sylvania 6sn7w, but the ECC1 tubes are better all-in-all.

Happy Camper, what do you use for cleaning pins?

An eraser for heavy debris, acetone and a soft cloth to polish after it dries.

I have ordered the 7062, 6829, 12au7 and a couple bendix 6080w for my next trial. Thank you Earl for your sage and insightful advice. I have some 5670s & 396A but am holding off on ordering the adapter. I want to get all the experience I can from the ECC1 first.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #92 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was re-reading the threads on the extreme and noticed that Nikongod also had an issue with a hum. Perhaps it would be best to have it sent back for a checkup. Truely does suck to have such a fine piece of equipment in your grasp and have to send it back. Good luck.

Just a thought .... maybe MJG's amp is the amp Nikongod sold?

Secondly, the Amperex 7062 + RCA 6as7's is a great combo with my recabled/ rescreened senn 580's.
580smile.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #93 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a thought .... maybe MJG's amp is the amp Nikongod sold?

Secondly, the Amperex 7062 + RCA 6as7's is a great combo with my recabled/ rescreened senn 580's.
580smile.gif

Nikongod did sell his amp to mjg, so indeed it is the same amp. It's probably the same problem too.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #94 of 98
yep nikongod's amp -> my new amp ; ).

Yea i spoke to mikhail, i think i'm going to send it back to get the hum fixed up. Im just hoping this isnt going to be an all summer lay over or something.

I want to to try and co-incide this with having moon audio recable my rs1's also ; )

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #95 of 98
~270-hour burn-in update!

The tube burn-in continues.
wink.gif
Don't think I'm noticing any changes with them though.

Dude, today I noticed for the first time this amp is microphonic! I decided to go for a session with the AD2000 and I was hearing some odd clinks and wondering what was going on, didn't sound like it was the music. After some experimentation I realized my grip of the volume knob and extremely light tapping of the amp's surface were causing the clinking...whoa. Some further experimentation revealed the amp was picking up floor vibrations too, like my feet tapping on the floor!
eek.gif
Man, my Cayin was never this sensitive. With the AD2000, I can also hear the amp's internal reverberation, freaky!

I still hold to my opinion of the AD2000 not needing tubes, but it does sound nice on the Extreme. With the 2C5I as driver and the 6080WAs, there's a small increase in spatials with no significant loss in detail. It's an ok sound but I've heard better.
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #96 of 98
For the gain tubes, are there any good non-adapter tubes available? I received a Raytheon 6SN7 GTB with the amp, and it's probably the worst sounding of the tubes I tried. I've tried about five other ECC-1 adapter tubes. In the spread sheet, is there any indicatation of which adapter (or non-adapter) is required?

I like sound of the GE 6829 with Chatham 6AS7G's best, however, it doesn't have quite the impact and PRAT of my Xin SMIII. But even worse is that it gives me some horrible audio fatigue. I'll try a different combination today. The Extreme sure gives a much bigger sound and soundstage than the Xin though.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #97 of 98
Whoops! I meant to post this in the SP Extreme spreadsheet thread.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #98 of 98
Final update on this amp.

Well I had to sell the Extreme in order to fund another purchase but man, what a great amp while I had it. Maybe someday I'll own a Single Power amp again but that's unknown right now.

In any case, it would seem that the noise I complained about really was due to an electrical issue in my system, because the guy I sold the amp to has reported absolutely no noise with the amp in his system.

If anyone has any ideas what can cause the kind of feedback I was hearing, I'm all ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back