Impressions - Single Power Extreme (standard cfg)
Apr 26, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #46 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The KenRad is about $50-75 (depending if you get the JAN version or not).

I bought my KenRad here (I have the non-JAN version).

http://www.audiotubes.com/

JAN is just a label, the tubes themselves are the same thing

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #48 of 98
Mine came with an Emerson 6sn7gt. And the Ken-Rad can be gotten for less with some diligent shopping. It does make a difference compared to the stock though.

Just an opinion, but get a ECC1 adapter and a 6414 or 5965. I have RCA 6080s and the 6414 combo has held me content from trying anything else for a month. The current fotm is a 2c51 gain tube and Tung-Sol/Chattam 6080s that I will get to eventually(another adapter). Thanks to the vets for their countless hours spent finding the sound.

This tube amp thing brings a more involved listening experience. It keeps my excitement going to listen to so many different tube combos. I only have a handful of tubes but the thought of knowing there are 100s of tubes out there gives me a good feeling about going tube. I only wanted to get one amp and am very pleased to have bought the extreme. It has been making my 701s cry since it got here. Its about time to get another victim
rs1smile.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #49 of 98
Well I discovered the Ken Rad I received produces a hiss on my 650s...

I know the 6SN7 tubes are extremely microphonic, but the stock tube that came with the Extreme did not produce the hiss on my 650s and the new Ken Rad does (even with a herbie's damper on it). I'd say the hiss is around 45-50dB. Do you think I'll have better luck returning the tube and looking for a NOS one?

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #50 of 98
how much does the ECC1 adapter cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine came with an Emerson 6sn7gt. And the Ken-Rad can be gotten for less with some diligent shopping. It does make a difference compared to the stock though.

Just an opinion, but get a ECC1 adapter and a 6414 or 5965. I have RCA 6080s and the 6414 combo has held me content from trying anything else for a month. The current fotm is a 2c51 gain tube and Tung-Sol/Chattam 6080s that I will get to eventually(another adapter). Thanks to the vets for their countless hours spent finding the sound.

This tube amp thing brings a more involved listening experience. It keeps my excitement going to listen to so many different tube combos. I only have a handful of tubes but the thought of knowing there are 100s of tubes out there gives me a good feeling about going tube. I only wanted to get one amp and am very pleased to have bought the extreme. It has been making my 701s cry since it got here. Its about time to get another victim
rs1smile.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #55 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to admit though, it's fun!
biggrin.gif
I mean, you can basically change the sound of your amplifier on a daily or weekly basis! So cool.
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Venio

Very true. Right now I'm hunting for Tungsol/Ken Rad/Raytheon VT 231/6SN7GT's.

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #57 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense but if you guys want to discuss tubes for the Extreme, start another thread please.

I see your point. However, It's kinda
rolleyes.gif
to see as early as post #7 the tube topic was introduced.

I guess if we don't talk about tubes of tube amps, then there's not much left. I think the strongest sale pitch of Extreme is the awesome tube rolling options. It won't be complete without the impressions of the tube experiences ?
confused.gif

Edit: I hope that we can still continue to discuss tubes in the context of the Extreme ?

May 1, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #59 of 98
~12 hour burn-in update.

Apparently the tubes on the Extreme just needed to be burned in a bit, just like my Cayin did. The sound has a softer tone now, more effervescent. It is starting to devolve back into a tubey sound now. Still not completely tubey though but it's sounding a lot more like it now.

I'm still getting a low-level sound-leak from the amp, maybe it's just the tubes? Either that or something is wrong with my unit.

I know a tube amp shouldn't be compared to a solid-state, but this amp really does give a greater sense of realism than my current favorite amp for the K701, the GS-1. More texture, more palpability. And of course the tube coloration over the K701 is always a good thing for euphoria.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I still prefer the solid-state sound but this is very nice too.

The Extreme is also the first amp that's making me feel like the CD73 is inadequate for it, as if its speed and resolution are capable of delivering more but not enough is being supplied. It's true though I have a swarm of components that eclipse the CDP, starting with the power cord. This will change soon though of course...
wink.gif

Oh and damn you guys for making me want to buy this now! The recent ranting about Single Power's lack of customer service and taking too much time to ship amps out compels me to buy this because I actually have it in my paws! Well if nothing else at least I can sell this amp later on leading to no wait-time for the buyer eh? I can't believe the hits I keep taking for you guys...
tongue.gif

May 1, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #60 of 98
Yes, Asr... fall... fall to the dark side
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back