Impressions/Opinions on HRT Music Streamer II + needed
Mar 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #91 of 107

Quote:
I used a music streamer II for about a year and was going to upgrade to II+ but changed my mind. II and II+ do not handle 176 192 files. To play those I had to downsample. This is not bit perfect.

Now I sellle down with a Firestone ILTW which chan do async. I like it with indicators showing bit rates. It can handle anything from 44 to 48 88 96 176 192 without problem.

I honestly couldn't care less for anything higher than 24/96. It may not be perfect, but that's just up to personal opinion on what sampling rate you have. Does the MS Pro handle anything higher than 24/96 or is it the same as all of the other Music Streamers? not asking you directly, just wondering if anybody has a pro version, seeing as it's really expensive and apparently has balanced outputs.

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #92 of 107
hrt is working on new models that can handle 176 192 native files.

the pro is still up to 24/96. it is the balanced output that make it more expensive. smaller production run due to smaller demand.

my collection of 176 192 files are expanding fast so i need a dac that can handle these. your requirements up to 96 cannot be taken as a norm

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #93 of 107
I'm in a bit of a pickle right now with limited funds..damn head-fi

I have a Fiio e17, e9, and Hifiman EF-5.

I wanted to use the E9 as a LOD for the E17 so it can be used as a DAC and have my EF-5 as a amp HOWEVER the LOD function on my e9 is faulty.

Given that...should i sell my E17 (maybe get back $100 out of it?) and pick up a HRT MSII (not +) OR just pick up a Fiio L7 (makes the e17 into a dac with 3.5mm LOD..this would cost $10)

Would be great if i could get some opinions. Thanks.

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #94 of 107

Quote:
Can anybody compare the MS or MS+ to an iBasso D10 used soley as a DAC?  I am currently using the D10 to run to my glow amp (which has a crummy DAC of its own) and would like to get something permanent for the desktop so the D10 will be just used in my portable rig.

I would be interested in this comparison too.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #95 of 107
Hi guys. I would like to ask if you buy HRT Music Streamer II on the Amazon, will you get USB and RCA cables or will you have to buy separately? Thanks for reading and answering my question.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #96 of 107

Quote:
Hi guys. I would like to ask if you buy HRT Music Streamer II on the Amazon, will you get USB and RCA cables or will you have to buy separately? Thanks for reading and answering my question.

You will get a USB A-B cable in the box, but I had to buy an RCA-3.5mm cable for use with my E9 and other portable amps - I cant remember if there is a standard RCA cable in the package with the MSII. 

http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/pdf/HRT-Music-Streamer-II.pdf

Standard RCA cables are cheap-as-chips - I wouldnt let this put you off the MSII. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #97 of 107
I dont remember if mine came with any cables at all or not.  Though even if it does come with a usb cable it would just be the generic printer cable that comes with everything else - I'd spend the extra $6 anyway and get a certified USB 2.0 cable.

May 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #98 of 107
Do you guys leave your HRT Music Streamer permanently plugged in via USB even when not in use?

The reason why I ask is because I just came back to my laptop after about two hours of being away, eating dinner, etc. and I noticed that the HRT Music Streamer II+ was decently warm to the touch, which surprised me a little bit. And after all, I turn off my amp when it's not in use...

So is it better to leave the Music Streamer permanently connected via USB or to unplug/re-plug the USB every time? Thanks.

May 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #101 of 107
My guess is that it really isn't going to be a problem.  It's USB powered so it's not wasting too much energy.  Though you could try to just select another sound source (your sound card) when you don't need it and see if that helps at all (temp wise) - I do realize it's still plugged in here.  For me, as soon as I plug the HRT in, my computer autoreconfigures for it so you could just pull the plug out when you leave and it only takes a second to plug it back in.  Or use a powered usb hub with an off/on switch (I guess they have those) and use the hub to turn it off - but this is still going to do the exact same think and same result as simply unplugging it.

May 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #102 of 107
You should contact HRT support and that is exactly the sort of question that they will answer by email, and it would be interesting to see their response.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #105 of 107
i may have missed it elsewhere in this thread, but i have a question about firmware updates... my trapeziodal ms2+ has rev 1.7, according to the usb tab in my mac's system information.  (if that's not the correct way to confirm firmware, please let me know).  i saw the downloaded firmware folder, and browsed the pdf instructions.  have others found these instructions straightforward on a mac?  cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back