Impressions of the Cyclone pr2 versus the fx500, ie8, m5 and pl50
Jan 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 45
Yes they fit fairly flush and look good. I like the PR2 way better than my AT CKS70 but then again I use an amp. The PR2 for some reason respond to amping in a big way. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the PR2 was created by an portable amp manufacturer.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they fit fairly flush and look good. I like the PR2 way better than my AT CKS70 but then again I use an amp. The PR2 for some reason respond to amping in a big way. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the PR2 was created by an portable amp manufacturer.

yup,i got the PR2 together with their amp *Storm 3*.i posted the pic here.it uses 2AAA size batteries.

4237569883_e0c57c1eba.jpg

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup,i got the PR2 together with their amp *Storm 3*.i posted the pic here.it uses 2AAA size batteries.

4237569883_e0c57c1eba.jpg

Oh Nice !!! How do they sound together?

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 45
So I gather that these IEMs sound really good when amped, but do they really still sound good without an amp? I'm seriously considering buying these, since I am somewhat of a basshead (currently using the Sennheiser CX300-II in-ears). I'll be using these IEMs with an iPod touch and my laptop.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ They are very flat and comfy for laying on the side. BTW I've the PR1 Pros on order and will post a comparison when they arrive.

I look forward to the comparison between the two Cyclones as I am interested in both.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Oh Nice !!! How do they sound together?

suprisingly it doesn't pair up well,high are too extended *sibilance.
i prefer pairing it with little dot mk1 which have wider soundstage
and the high are more refine
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kadath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I gather that these IEMs sound really good when amped, but do they really still sound good without an amp? I'm seriously considering buying these, since I am somewhat of a basshead (currently using the Sennheiser CX300-II in-ears). I'll be using these IEMs with an iPod touch and my laptop.

yes,its definitely sound good without an amp.amping its like adding some zest to it but with the wrong ingredients it may spoilt the taste.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
suprisingly it doesn't pair up well,high are too extended *sibilance.
i prefer pairing it with little dot mk1 which have wider soundstage
and the high are more refine
ksc75smile.gif

Oh, now you've caught my attention because I found a store selling both the Cyclone PR2 and the Little Dot MK1, and I'm very close to buying both now. Would you recommend this combination for listening to dubstep and watching movies?

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kadath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, now you've caught my attention because I found a store selling both the Cyclone PR2 and the Little Dot MK1, and I'm very close to buying both now. Would you recommend this combination for listening to dubstep and watching movies?

I don't even know what dubstep is but the iPod Gen 5.5 with the Little Dot MK I+ and the Cyclone PR2 sound very good.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

I don't even know what dubstep is but the iPod Gen 5.5 with the Little Dot MK I+ and the Cyclone PR2 sound very good.

I guess I can only describe dubstep as "bass heavy, midtempo electronic music."

Anyway, I've ordered the Cyclones from an eBay seller for only US$64.99, with free shipping. The seller has a good feedback rating, and the listing for the Cyclones is here, for anyone wanting to order them.

Currently I'm debating between the Little Dot MK I and the iBasso T3 for use with the Cyclones. The T3 looks quite a bit more portable that the LD.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

James444, excellent review. Complete and concise. I am at a loss to add to it. One thing I did notice was, right out of the box it reminded me of an REO or a PK1 which doesn't really have enough bass for my liking. So, I decided to do an agressive burn-in round the clock for over three days at mid to hi volume using the P-51 amplifier on low gain connected to an iMod. After it was finished cooking, if you will, I was listening to a completely different phone. Plenty of well controlled bass was now present and accounted for. It's spatial resolution increased as well, adding a nice feel for the venue in which the music was recorded.

Thanks again to james444. @james444: What tips are pictured in the original post? Looks like there are black tips under clear tips. I am having fit issues and am currently using Sony EX700 tips with a de-cored T-400 under, but they are slipping down the nozzle. I still need to tweak this setup a little, but any tips (pun intended) will help!

Quote:

Initially I also listened to the PR2 straight out of the headphone jack of a Fuze and enjoyed it very much (after burning it in). I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that adding an amp greatly improved this iem's sonic character. It's specs did not imply this to be true as the PR2's rated impedance is a miniscule 24 Ohm.

I am not good at comparing one IEM to another but if I were forced to say something about the PR2 vs the WM2 the only thing that comes to mind is that, while both are very good, the PR2 seems to be a more aggressive sounding IEM whereas with the Mingo WM2 in a word is more "euphoric".

OK, call me crazy but I believe my WM2 kept improving to maybe 300 hours, so I am still burning in my PR2. But tips make a much bigger difference. Anyways, how would I compare the 2...Woody puts it excellently IMO with one word for the WM2...euphoric!

As with anything, your results may differ from mine, but my findings so far:
- WM2 has a wider soundstage
- WM2 is more laid back
- WM2 has more bass impact
- Bass depth seems about the same
- WM2 has smoother and more present treble
- PR2 has more forward mids
- Details in the PR2 are right in front of you, with the WM2 they are all there, but more relaxed so you have to look for them sometimes
smily_headphones1.gif

- WM2 has better isolation
- PR2 may have slightly better build quality
- Both sound very good!

If you like the IE8 sound signature, the WM2 is more your style. If you like the RE0 sound signature (with bass) the PR2 is more your style!

I have yet to really give the PR2 a run with all my sources and reserve the right to change my opinion
wink_face.gif

- WM2

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@james444: What tips are pictured in the original post? Looks like there are black tips under clear tips. I am having fit issues and am currently using Sony EX700 tips with a de-cored T-400 under, but they are slipping down the nozzle. I still need to tweak this setup a little, but any tips (pun intended) will help!

I don't have them nearby right now but I'm reasonable sure these are de-cored olives under the silicon stock tips.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have them nearby right now but I'm reasonable sure these are de-cored olives under the silicon stock tips.

That is what I thought it looked like. And they are under the stock silicon tips, right? I am trying to make sure the foam doesn't cover the vent hole. Maybe I will go back to the stock silicon tips and try both an olive and comply under it. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #29 of 45
Well I think I may have to try the WM2 from the sounds of it. The question I have is where the heck do I get them? Also should I be going for the silver or gold ones? I have found 1 site that sells them but it is in Chinese. I can see the dollar amount in HK dollars but have no idea how to go about ordering a pair. Is there any sites with an English interface or Ebay I can get a pair through?

One last question though. If I end up not liking the TF10's I have coming in would I be better off simply buying the IE8 or are the WM2 enough like the IE8 (or possibly better) that I should just find a pair?

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #30 of 45
TMS Trading sells these, and they are the only place I know of. Email Thomas Law: thomas@tms-trading.com

He usually takes a day or two to respond.

This is what he sent me via email:
Quote:

Hello, nice to contact with you in here. Thanks for your request.
Since your ordering e-mail sent to Mingo, it was also forward to us, TMS TRADING Co.
Let me introduce myself & TMS TRADING Co. We are the Authorized Distributor of Mingo WM-2. We do handling ordering from Oversea & Local(HK).
We do ship to USA, however, Please advised which states of USA for us to calculate shipping fee.

Link below is the shipping fee reference.
Hongkong Post - Postage Rate

Overseas Order :
Retails Price : 81USD(USA/Canada/Australia/Japan/Others)
All areas include one-year warranty.
All overseas prices exclude Shipping fee.

And if you don't mind, let him know average_joe (Joe) from head-fi sent you!

But note, they are not quite as spacious as the IE8/CKS70, but I feel they are much better overall than the CKS70!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back