Impressions: New Lawton Audio 'Angle Pads' (sheepskin/leather) PICTURES ADDED
May 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #151 of 187
I just got mine installed on my D7000s.

Things I've noticed:

- the bass impact isn't as overpowering, overall more balanced
- soundstage does feel bigger (could be placebo)
- ear holes are slightly bigger than the stock pads
- they are stiffer than the stock but not uncomfortable (does increase the feeling of clamp)
- helps with sibilance (on the tracks I tested with)
- will have to increase headband one notch

Over all digging the lawton angled pads.

May 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #153 of 187
Pudu ... thank you for the nice comment!

Don't worry though, my (super)fast service will be billed to you at more than an appropriate rates.

Don't buy anything expensive anymore untill you got my invoice.  :p

Sorry, my internet service was non-operational since last Thursday (never have I seen such slow, unresponsive service).

Got your invoice. I was going to pay in Pioneer-SX but I couldn't find the current exchange rate of SX to Euro. So instead you should be receiving 3/4 of a moose any day now.

I love the smll of napalm leather in the morning :)

Best to leave your private life out of the discussion. :wink:

May 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #154 of 187
Quote:
I'd buy 100 pair of pads if Lawton made velours. Just sayin'...

I'm just now discovering the value of HiFiMan velour over pleather...but I don't know, genuine leather has a lot of merit
wink.gif

Quote:
I just got mine installed on my D7000s.

Things I've noticed:

- the bass impact isn't as overpowering, overall more balanced
- soundstage does feel bigger (could be placebo)
- ear holes are slightly bigger than the stock pads
- they are stiffer than the stock but not uncomfortable (does increase the feeling of clamp"
- helps with sibilance (on the tracks I tested with)
- will have to increase headband one notch

Over all digging the lawton angled pads.

Interesting about the feeling of clamp.  My problem with stock is that the front part of the pad is so thin it tends to dig into the cheekbone.  Does the Lawton have a thicker front strip? 

May 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #156 of 187
I just received mine two days ago and installed them on my D2000 (very easy!).  I have the same impressions as everyone else regarding a more balanced sound, larger soundstage, etc.  The thing that I really like about them is the material they are made from.  The sheepskin leather and whatever padding is inside is far superior to the stock pads and just feels much better to wear.  I would highly recommend these pads.  I think I will go ahead and get some wood cups from Lawton next.  Perhaps do the full LA2000, but not sure about doing the stuff that can't be reversed.

May 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #158 of 187
Quote:
man I'm envious of you all !!! i still have to wait 4-5 weeks for my lawton level 2 kit ***Cryyyyyinnnnnnnggg*** :'(

If this can help my mod took around 5 1/2 months the ordeal started at the end of october 2011 and ended 2nd. week of april i had no more tears left !

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #161 of 187
I really liked the angle pads.  So I emailed markl and got myself some custom wood chambers and the DIY tuning kit.  I really can't believe the improvemnts that all three of these together do to the D2000.  I am really really enjoying the final result.  I was worried that the bass would be reduced, but it really is just more controlled.  I really think that the biggest difference in sound came from the angle pads.  They brought the mids forward just a bit while making the soundstage more coherent.  The other mods help to control the bass a lot.  I think the wood chambers probably alter the sound the least, but might slightly improve soundstage.  They look amazing though.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #162 of 187
I finally got my Lawton pads over the weekend.   They were amazingly simple to put on, the instructions do make it seem worse than it actually is.

For me the biggest issue is comfort.  Everyone raves about the comfort of Denons, and I've never seen it.   The pads are too thin, too under-stuffed, to shallow in the cup for my ears to fit, too narrow on the front facing, and puts the driver too close to the ear leading to some uncomfortable harshness.  And I'm not a fan of vinyl/pleather as good as Denon's pleather is, it still feels nasty against the skin.   The Lawton's fix all that.  They're comfortable against the skin (when isn't genuine leather comfortable?) they're well padded, firm enough without being hard, provide great depth for the ear to fit, and just in general very comfortable and luxurious feeling.  The only other headphones with such luxurious leather I'm aware of are Audeze which is also well loved for comfort (if not for immense weight.)

In terms of sound, both the material and the distance really help.   The D5000 becomes extremely flat and linear.  Mids and trebles are nearly as flat as K70x, but with a bit more rolloff at the very high end before getting as fatiguing as K70x. The mids are still slightly more forward than K70x, lending an overall warmer tone to the sound than the sterile AKGs.  The soundstage becomes impressive for a semi-closed headphone, and imaging is coherent, though it always was.

The overall tonality, including tighter bass is simply excellent, and the feel of the headphone is more luxurious than before.  It's an excellent pad.  D5k hasn't magically bested my HD650s & HE-400's for my personal tastes but my enjoyment of them has definitely moved up a notch.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #163 of 187

Quote:
I finally got my Lawton pads over the weekend.   They were amazingly simple to put on, the instructions do make it seem worse than it actually is.

For me the biggest issue is comfort.  Everyone raves about the comfort of Denons, and I've never seen it.   The pads are too thin, too under-stuffed, to shallow in the cup for my ears to fit, too narrow on the front facing, and puts the driver too close to the ear leading to some uncomfortable harshness.  And I'm not a fan of vinyl/pleather as good as Denon's pleather is, it still feels nasty against the skin.   The Lawton's fix all that.  They're comfortable against the skin (when isn't genuine leather comfortable?) they're well padded, firm enough without being hard, provide great depth for the ear to fit, and just in general very comfortable and luxurious feeling.  The only other headphones with such luxurious leather I'm aware of are Audeze which is also well loved for comfort (if not for immense weight.)

In terms of sound, both the material and the distance really help.   The D5000 becomes extremely flat and linear.  Mids and trebles are nearly as flat as K70x, but with a bit more rolloff at the very high end before getting as fatiguing as K70x. The mids are still slightly more forward than K70x, lending an overall warmer tone to the sound than the sterile AKGs.  The soundstage becomes impressive for a semi-closed headphone, and imaging is coherent, though it always was.

The overall tonality, including tighter bass is simply excellent, and the feel of the headphone is more luxurious than before.  It's an excellent pad.  D5k hasn't magically bested my HD650s & HE-400's for my personal tastes but my enjoyment of them has definitely moved up a notch.

Thanks for impressions. So there is no harsh treble for you?

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #164 of 187
hi - checking in here to hear about treble changes (as above user asked)
do they reduce treble harshness anything? I'm on the lookout for a pair of D5000 and I'm a bit worried about the treble, since what I remember from trying the D2000 briefly was that treble could be a bit harsh. I was hoping these pads would help a bit with that (and tone down bass a bit)

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #165 of 187
Quote:
I just received mine two days ago and installed them on my D2000 (very easy!).  I have the same impressions as everyone else regarding a more balanced sound, larger soundstage, etc.  The thing that I really like about them is the material they are made from.  The sheepskin leather and whatever padding is inside is far superior to the stock pads and just feels much better to wear.  I would highly recommend these pads.  I think I will go ahead and get some wood cups from Lawton next.  Perhaps do the full LA2000, but not sure about doing the stuff that can't be reversed.

Hi, you've had these pads for a while now, would you still regard them as a worthwhile upgrade for your D2000s?

Any further thoughts appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back