IMPRESSIONS: Montréal August 25th 2012 Head-Fi Meet
Sep 8, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #46 of 82
:D I clicked around a bit and ended up at devouringone3's channel, that is one awesome Topre 30g you have! if there is another meet soon, you HAVE to bring it - and other gems if you have any. I currently only have a Leopod with Cherry MX Brown's, but I've been looking for a Topre 30g to try out. so cool.

great news on the video upload btw! I'm kind of nervous about seeing myself on a video though 
redface.gif

edit: just watched it, not too awkward! 
tongue.gif
 great video.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #48 of 82
Quote:
:D I clicked around a bit and ended up at devouringone3's channel, that is one awesome Topre 30g you have! if there is another meet soon, you HAVE to bring it - and other gems if you have any. I currently only have a Leopod with Cherry MX Brown's, but I've been looking for a Topre 30g to try out. so cool.

great news on the video upload btw! I'm kind of nervous about seeing myself on a video though 
redface.gif

edit: just watched it, not too awkward! 
tongue.gif
 great video.

Hahaha, :p. I just commented on the video so everyone will be able to see my 30 G 104U. It's my favorite mechanical keyboard and I do carry it around everywhere in its box. Favorite to type on out of Variable Topre, Brown/Blue/Black Cherry, ALPS white and Buckling Springs. It's the easiest (/ most efficient, thanks to the very light switches) to type on, when you're accurate enough. Here's a small discussion about it http://www.head-fi.org/t/484377/keyboard-fi/735#post_8581027, and my opinions on lightest switches, and typing in general.

Very nice video! It's super sweet and Glitched you captured everything quite nicely. It gives me an approximate idea of what it was like, but of course without giving out any punches (impossibly so, cause it's about listening to the headphones which I would have liked to do on this day and with you, but couldn't). You even thought of filming yourself and even though you could have invented a song to sing to the camera, the group 30 fps "photo" was a cool touch/idea! It made me realize that even though KimLaroux' gear was present, her person was absent during the footage. She might have been in the other room listening to HD800.

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #49 of 82
MwaHahaHAhaha! 
biggrin.gif
 I was hiding under the desk for the whole meet, with a pair of HD800 on. That's why you can't see me.

On another note, it still pains me that my Q701 got some head time on the Bryston, but I never got to hear it myself. There just wasn't enough time to try everything, let alone wait in line to listen to something in particular. I wanted to try all the different "house sounds" that were represented: Sennheiser, Denon, Grado, Audio-Technica, HiFiMAN, Audeze... This first meet allowed me to gain hands-on experience with many popular headphones: I was shocked by the low build quality of Audio-Technica headphones. Impressed by the low weight of Grado, and the high weight of Planar Magnetic technology. I got my head blown when I handled the after-market cables, because they are incredibly flexible while telling you "I'm not flexible".

Thanks for uploading the video, it's a great complement to pictures.

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #50 of 82
You're either the metal head with the long hair, because girls have long hair, or that handsome guy doing the draw at the beginning of the video. But seriously I'm confused, none of you strictly look like a girl; but surely enough one of you has to be a girl disguised in a guy.

Anyway I won't miss the next event! Thanks again for the video, considering all the misery it put you through!

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #51 of 82
Quote:

Hahaha, :p. I just commented on the video so everyone will be able to see my 30 G 104U. It's my favorite mechanical keyboard and I do carry it around everywhere in its box. Favorite to type on out of Variable Topre, Brown/Blue/Black Cherry, ALPS white and Buckling Springs. It's the easiest (/ most efficient, thanks to the very light switches) to type on, when you're accurate enough. Here's a small discussion about it http://www.head-fi.org/t/484377/keyboard-fi/735#post_8581027, and my opinions on lightest switches, and typing in general.

:D yeah. I've tried all the other topres (variable, 45g, 55g) and the cherries (not a full green or clear one, though). some alps, IBM bucklings etc.
the 30g is the only one I haven't tried, I think. (35g don't count!)
I didn't like the 55g topres but I really love the 45g, so expecting the 30g to be even nicer. 
biggrin.gif

will try to read the discussion in a bit, thanks!

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #52 of 82
Right now I'm typing on my variable (mostly 45G) and I find its keys too hard too depress :p like if I was constantly fighting and forcefully pushing, instead of flying by. I brought this one in my room because it is tenkeyless and I needed the space to put my mouse next to it on my tiny desk.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #53 of 82
Quote:
Right now I'm typing on my variable (mostly 45G) and I find its keys too hard too depress :p like if I was constantly fighting and forcefully pushing, instead of flying by. I brought this one in my room because it is tenkeyless and I needed the space to put my mouse next to it on my tiny desk.

ahh yeah, I know how that is!
I had the KBC Poker due to quite extreme space limitations for a while (same size as HHKB). great keyboard but it really sucks not having the F-buttons and the ins/home/pgup etc.
45G topres don't feel too heavy to me though but then again I have not tried the 30's :p

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #54 of 82
Quote:
45G topres don't feel too heavy to me though but then again I have not tried the 30's :p

^This^ :p, you would either think it's too light right off the bat, or gradually get used to it, start loving it, type just as fast (in my case, by adjusting and improving my technique for number, "drunken-style" typing to go with the lighter switches, I got faster) but never get tired or cramped from typing, and it would ultimately change your perspective about the force all keyboard keys in existence should only really take from you.

I think Topre is receiving increasingly positive "reviews" and impressions from people about their 30G switches. In the two latest polls they made on their Facebook page about the features people wanted to come back in their future keyboards, "30G uniform version" was always one of the most voted feature.

HHKB is a little small and since I'm also a heavy user of home/end // Page up/down, and I do shift + control + arrows often to highlight words, I don't want to complicate any more the combos. I also do windows shortcuts and use right-click menu key, need my right Alt (car) to type French stuff, etc. I also like to plays games and use my F keys in groups of four. I'm fine with tenkeyless since TKLRealforces have an embedded numpad (like laptops) which functions gracefully (enough so, for the rare times I really need it, actually). We're not all into data input :p, and modern humans use scanners, OCL, and copy-paste more, to input numerical data. I have about half TKL and half full-size keyboards (when I need the keys) for gaming, (*when I have the space for it :p). I'm really interested in this project though: http://www.guru-board.com/ I would buy a Red Cherry Switch one (which switch I still haven't tried in a keyboard, and is silent enough to make it really portable).

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #55 of 82
yeah, that's cool! I only found out about the 30g earlier this year, and I've been using the other topres for a few years now.
the HHKB and the KBC Poker were indeed a bit small. TKL is imo the perfect size.
Quebec-french layout is actually the same as Swedish, where I also need the right alt to do some special characters.
was actually considering waiting for the Guru-board, looks so nice! but now that I've tried the layout (same as KBC Poker) I just don't think it's worth it unfortunately.
though I mostly have full size keyboards, I only use my TKL ones. should consider selling off some of the ones I don't use... 
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #56 of 82
Yeah I use TKL a lot more also... though 30 G uniform does not come in TKL yet, so I'm happily extending my arm further to reach my computer mouse until 30G weighting becomes more popular or something... I would definitely by a second one in TKL if they get onto Elitekeyboards.com.

I would like to try that KBC smallest % keyboard physical layout, mainly for their portability and that's really the aim of the Guru-board... it also has an integrated mouse and such. Also the layout is the same but the Guru-board will have on board memory so that you can assign any software layout, and that you can travel and use it on public computers and stuff. I would love that :p... as soon as I'm done with school I will ditch QWERTY for a better world, and I would carry my Mini-Guru around...

I don't know about you but though I use "English (Canada) - Canadian-French" in Windows I prefer the ANSI 104 keys physical layout over the 105 of the ISO. Québec and Sweden use ISO.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #57 of 82
Quote:
Yeah I use TKL a lot more also... though 30 G uniform does not come in TKL yet, so I'm happily extending my arm further to reach my computer mouse until 30G weighting becomes more popular or something... I would definitely by a second one in TKL if they get onto Elitekeyboards.com.

I would like to try that KBC smallest % keyboard physical layout, mainly for their portability and that's really the aim of the Guru-board... it also has an integrated mouse and such. Also the layout is the same but the Guru-board will have on board memory so that you can assign any software layout, and that you can travel and use it on public computers and stuff. I would love that :p... as soon as I'm done with school I will ditch QWERTY for a better world, and I would carry my Mini-Guru around...

I don't know about you but though I use "English (Canada) - Canadian-French" in Windows I prefer the ANSI 104 keys physical layout over the 105 of the ISO. Québec and Sweden use ISO.

ahh yes, ANSI is what I use too - I just meant the software layout, where you have to use right alt (or ctrl+alt, aka alt gr) to make certain characters.
tried using COLEMAK and DVORAK but it just is too much work to get used to.

will probably consider all 30g topre as my next keyboard if it is TKL!

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #58 of 82
Ok yes, I use the same thing, it also makes it easier to add " ` " and " ^ " accents to any vowels.

I definitely encourage you to take the dive of the 30 G, they're being overlooked in the west because of few people who have tougher and stronger fingers than the Japanese people, but I believe they just didn't give themselves a proper chance of getting used to the lighter force. It becomes very natural after a while, and only Topre knows how to execute so well switches so light, other types of switches and membrane keyboards are more limited in how light they can really make their switches.

Still I have to mention to you that the domes are thinner/softer-rubber and you do loose a bit of snappiness of the feedback, and springiness when the key returns in place. It's also something you get used to having less, and the feedback is just as smooth and Topre-like (and switch is rated 30 mill keystrokes, so just as much durable).

Same thing I tried Colemak but it was difficult and I needed to keep on typing quickly.

Yeah a 30 G Topre in TKL would be awesome!

BTW you're aware that there is 30 G switches for the pinky fingers in the newer generation Variable weighting Topre and 35 G's in the older ones, that you can "try" (though it's definitely not analogous to having the whole keyboard made out of these light switches)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back