Impression Stax Sr 007 Mk2 And Sr 009 + Srm 727 Mk2 as Active Speaker drive with Tube Pre. Amp T + A P 10.2
Aug 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #31 of 47
I really don't see the point of using a preamp as it's just extra components in the signal path with no real upside.  Reminds me of those dreadful "tube buffers" Musical Fidelity used to sell which is pretty much what you are doing.  In theory it is possible to get more voltage out of the amp with a higher voltage input but in reality it isn't true due to the hard limits put in place by the voltage rails. 

My firm belief is that an amp should be wire with gain, a neutral conductor which tries to impact as little of its sound on the signal as is possible.  Feeding a low distortion output from the source through a high distortion tube preamp before passing it to a low distortion amp/phones combo just doesn't make sense to me.  

I do use a preamp to power my system but it is built into my dac so it's just a very powerful output stage mated with a logic controlled stepped attenuator.  There are no extra circuits to worry about. 

Thank you Spritzer for your explanation

In my set up now are :

Pre amp tube T+A. P10.2 > cd player Stello cda 500 > DAC eximus Dp 1 > Stax srm 727 mk 2 as power amp = set up A

I use DAC as well to my set up

Pre amp eximus Dp 1 > DAC eximus Dp 1 > cd player Stello cda 500 > Stax Srm 727 mk 2= set B

My set up B > much better the sound quality vs my set up B

My conculsion : if your pre amp very good , can produce better sound quality.

The reason why I use my tube pre amp :

I bought my T + A P10.2 already expensive for driving all my dynamic and ortho , that s why I bought the Stax Srm 727 mk2 as power amp .

I wish one day can compare with my friend set up use BHSE for his Sr 009

His opinion for the combo BHSE + Stax Sr 009 = to bright

I have read in the Stax thread , the best amp for Stav Sr 009 are Cavalli Loghtning and WES

Is that true Sprizer for the best pairing for Stax Sr 009 these combo with Cavalli Lightning and WES ?

Please advise and Thank you

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #32 of 47
Spritzer, would you connect a source with attenuator to a power amp directly or use passive preamp for a speaker setup also? I know there is that camp and I can totally see why they are doing that - just want to see where you stand so that we have a more thorough understanding of your opinion. Thanks.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #33 of 47
It really depends on what kind of volume control in the source we are talking about.  If it is some software type which can reset for no reason and set the output to max then I would run them with a voltage divider just so max volume wouldn't cause damage.  This would be a fixed divider so it would be invisble in terms of sound quality.  Now if you have something like the stepped attenuator in my MSB which goes to max attenuation with any fault (loss of power etc.) then I would run them direct to the amps. 
Quote:
Thank you Spritzer for your explanation
In my set up now are :
Pre amp tube T+A. P10.2 > cd player Stello cda 500 > DAC eximus Dp 1 > Stax srm 727 mk 2 as power amp = set up A
I use DAC as well to my set up
Pre amp eximus Dp 1 > DAC eximus Dp 1 > cd player Stello cda 500 > Stax Srm 727 mk 2= set B
My set up B > much better the sound quality vs my set up B
My conculsion : if your pre amp very good , can produce better sound quality.
The reason why I use my tube pre amp :
I bought my T + A P10.2 already expensive for driving all my dynamic and ortho , that s why I bought the Stax Srm 727 mk2 as power amp .
I wish one day can compare with my friend set up use BHSE for his Sr 009
His opinion for the combo BHSE + Stax Sr 009 = to bright
I have read in the Stax thread , the best amp for Stav Sr 009 are Cavalli Loghtning and WES
Is that true Sprizer for the best pairing for Stax Sr 009 these combo with Cavalli Lightning and WES ?
Please advise and Thank you

The preamp can't add anything but distortion to the sound, it can't provide any new data on its own.  This means it can mask issues elsewhere in the system leading to a more pleasant tone, deeper bass etc. but it doesn't solve anything.  In your setup I would look at the source as the issue or if you are using the SR-009, try a SR-007Mk1, HE60 or SR-Omega.  

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #34 of 47
It really depends on what kind of volume control in the source we are talking about.  If it is some software type which can reset for no reason and set the output to max then I would run them with a voltage divider just so max volume wouldn't cause damage.  This would be a fixed divider so it would be invisble in terms of sound quality.  Now if you have something like the stepped attenuator in my MSB which goes to max attenuation with any fault (loss of power etc.) then I would run them direct to the amps. 

The preamp can't add anything but distortion to the sound, it can't provide any new data on its own.  This means it can mask issues elsewhere in the system leading to a more pleasant tone, deeper bass etc. but it doesn't solve anything.  In your setup I would look at the source as the issue or if you are using the SR-009, try a SR-007Mk1, HE60 or SR-Omega.   

What MSB dac are you using?

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #37 of 47
I use both the amp and source.  Running the MSB at full blast isn't really a good idea so I put the pots in their most linear range and adjust the source to match.  This also helps when one has a few amps such as myself though there are only 7 amps on the rack now...
redface.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:
That's because they were run at the limit or even exceeding it.  Same reason why tubes in power amps don't last very long.  Most of the electrostatic headphone amps never go past a 50% rating on the tubes so they will last a long time.  Personally I'm more worried about the electrolytic capacitors drying out in 15 years time. 

That's interesting about the life expectancy of the valves. I'd certainly never heard anything bad about the life span of them with Stax drivers. As for capacitors, I completely agree. I'm an automotive electrician and we see leaky electrolytic capacitors all of the time (although reliable solid types are used more often now).

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
Fully loaded Platinum DACIII. 

Amazing. Got a chance listening to the Platinum DACIV at the high end audio show today and the performance was spectacular. There is a DACIII up for sale in a HK forum recently and the price is really cheap. If the DACIII has similar performance to the DACIV it would be quite a good deal. Please let me know your thoughts.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:
AFAIK all the bits that matter are identical on the 3 and 4.  The only thing I don't like about the design is the output stage but there isn't a whole lot of choice if one wants a ladder dac these days... 

Does the III come with a separate power base like the IV? Or is it a one box design? The III up for sale does not seem to have the separate power base.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #43 of 47
Yesterday my M2Tech Vaughan just arrived as replacement for my eximus Dp 1

Source : April music CD player CDA 500 as transport

Dac / head amp / pre amp : M2 Tech Vaighan

Pre amp : Tube pre amp T + A. P 10.2

Electrostatic amp : Stax Srm 727 MK 2 as power amp

Headphones : Stax sr 007 mk2. And sr 009

High : with Vaughan more detail , very clean and smooth high compare to my eximus Dp 1

Mid : with Vaughan more sweet and more natural mid and very clean voice from the singers
Compare to eximus Dp 1 less body

Bass : with Vaughan more detail Bass, very good bass impact and very low bass impact and full body
And better bass speed Compare to eximus Dp 1

Separation : more detail , that I can heard the Instrument more detail and clear tham from eximus Dp 1

Soundstage : with Vaughan more 3 D feeling , eximus Dp 1 only wide , the depth and the high are far
From Vaughan

Conclusion : with my set up before , the different only at the DAC section , before was Eximus Dp 1
Now is M2Tech Vaughan .
If we have 8 stars as companison , I will give eximus Dp 1 with 3 stars
M2Tech has 5 stars and Vitus master peace dac has 8 stars

These set up is the best set up for Stax sr 007 MK 2 and Sr 009

7db95efbe03d34191f6a366acbf57c2d_zps2e253e41.jpg

d72cf2e1f94a8cfd434ee26afd7126cc_zpsb79f543e.jpg

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #44 of 47
Until now already 2 years My Stax Set Up remain , i upgrade Only RCA , now i use Shunyta Ztrone Anaconda and i Upgraded some Power Chord DIY
I change Only The Stax Amp Srm 727 mk 2 from Silver Color to Black Color

I sold My Vaughan Dac Amp , still to Find another dac , i havent try My Hugo

sound Qualoty until now combination Satx STM 727 mk 2 as Power amp and Tube Pre amp T+A P 10.2 as pre amp = still One OF THE best Synergy and One OF gen best SQ For My Stax Headphines SR 007 mk2-and SR 008

IMO

My two best headphones : Stax Sr 009 and Abyss 1266

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #45 of 47
Did anyone use Stax extension cable
SRE - 725 For Stax SR 007 mk 02
SRE - 925 S For Stax SR 009

I just tried these Two extention cable to My Two Stax SR 007 mk 2 and SR 009 , i heard
High : Better clarity , High more Crisp and detail and
Mid : mid more weight and Clear
bass : better bass impact and body and detail
Separation : make better separation
soundstage : Make wider and more Depth In soundstage .

Maybe Anybody Know why This cable exttension on Stax electrostatic headphone increase SQ not decrease SQ ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back