Impression Stax Sr 007 Mk2 And Sr 009 + Srm 727 Mk2 as Active Speaker drive with Tube Pre. Amp T + A P 10.2
Jun 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #17 of 47
Thanks for all that Mr. Rudi! I appreciate the help very much.

You are welcome , so is friend for in head fi forum , to share and to help each other with the audio experience :D

I wish to buy BHSE or WES or Lightning. Or Elektra or Thunderbolt , since I have already my tube pre amp T+A P10.2 for use with my ortho and dynamic driver .

I bought porpostly the Stax electrostatic Amp Srm 727 mk 2 , because Stax Srm 727 mk 2 has
So kind of function , I can use only the Stator .

Now I have still have the chance to use my pre amp T + A. P 10.2 and my pre amp Eximus Dp1
For my ortho and dynamic driver , as well for my Stax headphone.

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #18 of 47
Just a question here: I would assume the Eximus DP1 DAC has an analog output that bypasses its own volume control, so the Stax amp's volume control could be used for attenuation.
So would not that be preferable to using the Eximus volume control with the Stax amp's one set at the maximum, because wouldn't that be putting 2 attenuators in the path, even one set to the maximum?
I wonder if you experimented with this configuration.

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 47
If you put a pot to it's max position then you are effectively bypassing it.  A tiny part of the resistive track is still in the signal path but it should have no effect. 

If your source is a proper preamp i.e. with an output voltage in excess of 6-7vrms, then I'd recommend using the volume control on the amp at least a bit.  Many amps don't like to "see" such a high input voltage and may start to misbehave.  The Stax amps have no issue with this but not all amps are equal in this regard. 

I for one have a source which is a true preamp and I back it off to the standard 4Vrms output and then adjust with the pots on my amps. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:
If you put a pot to it's max position then you are effectively bypassing it.  A tiny part of the resistive track is still in the signal path but it should have no effect. 

If your source is a proper preamp i.e. with an output voltage in excess of 6-7vrms, then I'd recommend using the volume control on the amp at least a bit.  Many amps don't like to "see" such a high input voltage and may start to misbehave.  The Stax amps have no issue with this but not all amps are equal in this regard. 

I for one have a source which is a true preamp and I back it off to the standard 4Vrms output and then adjust with the pots on my amps. 

Dear Spitzer

I have question about my Stax Srm 727 mk 2 as follow :

insite the Stax Srm 727 mk2 has toggle switch , i can set to Direct or Variable 

Now I use Variable , because sometimes i will hear directly from my Stax Amp Srm 727 mk 2

in this case : i turn the volume from my Stax Srm 727 mk 2 to MAX

The Volume regulation now from my Eximus DP 1 as Pre amp .

If i set in DIRECT , i can use the Stax Amp Srm 727 mk2 only as Stator

My question is :

Do you try already this set up with the Stax Amp ?

Is the Sound Quality in DIRECT better than variable in my Stax Srm 727 mk2 ?

Please advise

Thank you 

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:
Just a question here: I would assume the Eximus DP1 DAC has an analog output that bypasses its own volume control, so the Stax amp's volume control could be used for attenuation.
So would not that be preferable to using the Eximus volume control with the Stax amp's one set at the maximum, because wouldn't that be putting 2 attenuators in the path, even one set to the maximum?
I wonder if you experimented with this configuration.

My set up now is like this :

From Stax srm 727 mk 2 INPUT XLR going to my Eximus DP 1  ANALOG OUTPUT XLR.

I turn the Stax Srm 727 mk 2 to MAXX , because i use the toggle switch insite the Amp Casing frim  factory setting VARIABLE.

I have not try yet with the toggle switch to DIRECT , because sometimes i will use the Stax Amp alone .

If i set to DIRECT ,thats mean i must use always with Eximus Dp1 .

I do not like to open and close my Amp Srm 727 mk 2 , only to adjust the toggle switch  to DIRECT or VARIABLE.

I have already asked Spitzer about the Sound Quality between Variabel and Direct position 

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #22 of 47
Hello, I'm new here!

I'm thinking of upgrading my 25 year old Stax SRD-P driver to a new transistor or tube driver. I'm using it with a pair of Lambda Pro's of the same vintage. Can anyone tell me how long the tubes in Stax driver units are rated for?

thanks.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #23 of 47
Hello, I'm new here!

I'm thinking of upgrading my 25 year old Stax SRD-P driver to a new transistor or tube driver. I'm using it with a pair of Lambda Pro's of the same vintage. Can anyone tell me how long the tubes in Stax driver units are rated for?

thanks.

Please pm Spritzer about your question or you can post your question in the thread Stax once again

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:
There is no official rating for the tubes but they should easily last 10-15 years with normal use.  I've had 25 year old amps come through here still with the original tubes and they still tested ok. 

Wow! that's good I would think. My parents old Valve(tube) TV used to have the tubes replaced every few years...it was always breaking down.

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #26 of 47
That's because they were run at the limit or even exceeding it.  Same reason why tubes in power amps don't last very long.  Most of the electrostatic headphone amps never go past a 50% rating on the tubes so they will last a long time.  Personally I'm more worried about the electrolytic capacitors drying out in 15 years time. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #27 of 47
Dear Sprizer

Please let me know , why in Stax thread not so many head fier use their pre amp as combo with Stax Electrostatic Amp for example Srm 727 Mk 2 ?

Like i use my high end Tube  pre amp from T + A  P 10.2  > Stax Srm 727 Mk2  > Stax Sr 007 Mk 2 and Stax Sr 009 

My set up above the Sound Quality is excelent 

Plesae advise  and thank you

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #28 of 47
I occasionally use my McIntosh C2300 tube preamp installed with vintage Gold Lion B759 12AX7 tubes and use SRM727II as power amp for the SR009, with the Esoteric K-01 as source. This is much better than purely connecting to the SRM 727II using the Zodiac Gold in my study room. However the preamp is mainly used for my speaker setup so this luxurious setup does not get heard too often, as the study room setup is more convenient. I will compare the above combo with the BHSE when it arrives this month. I would be reluctant to use the BhSE as power amp as I think turning up the BHSE to max volume would not be very healthy for the EL34 tubes and the amp itself?

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 47
I really don't see the point of using a preamp as it's just extra components in the signal path with no real upside.  Reminds me of those dreadful "tube buffers" Musical Fidelity used to sell which is pretty much what you are doing.  In theory it is possible to get more voltage out of the amp with a higher voltage input but in reality it isn't true due to the hard limits put in place by the voltage rails. 

My firm belief is that an amp should be wire with gain, a neutral conductor which tries to impact as little of its sound on the signal as is possible.  Feeding a low distortion output from the source through a high distortion tube preamp before passing it to a low distortion amp/phones combo just doesn't make sense to me.  

I do use a preamp to power my system but it is built into my dac so it's just a very powerful output stage mated with a logic controlled stepped attenuator.  There are no extra circuits to worry about. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #30 of 47
I occasionally use my McIntosh C2300 tube preamp installed with vintage Gold Lion B759 12AX7 tubes and use SRM727II as power amp for the SR009, with the Esoteric K-01 as source. This is much better than purely connecting to the SRM 727II using the Zodiac Gold in my study room. However the preamp is mainly used for my speaker setup so this luxurious setup does not get heard too often, as the study room setup is more convenient. I will compare the above combo with the BHSE when it arrives this month. I would be reluctant to use the BhSE as power amp as I think turning up the BHSE to max volume would not be very healthy for the EL34 tubes and the amp itself?

Thank you for your explanation here
Our set up are the same , that we use pre amp and Srm 727 mk 2 as power amp
Do you already try to switch to DIRECT Insite your Srm 727 mk 2?

I have not heard BHSE or WES . Please share your impression here the. Sound quality different
Between BHSE vs your set up with Mcintosh as pre amp?

My friend bought BHSE + Sr 009 , he said these combo is to bright
At the end he solve the problem with very dark DAC from Neko 100

I have not time to hear his set up now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back