[Impression] Über Muzik Tiny Tube DAC
May 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #16 of 48
Yeah, the company behind Racoon is Uber Muzik's Chinese partner mentioned in the original review actually.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #17 of 48
"zkkzkk32312"; do you mean that the upgraded version now has a better bass response?

I am a bit curious at this amp; I need a good headphone amp for my workplace in this price range (~$150), and at work I have some pretty treble-heavy phones (ULTRASONE HFI-780), while my personal preference is neutral or warm sound. (my priority list: 1) detail. 2) neutrality. 3) warmth)

I was hoping to go for the tube USB DAC market, since I assume that no tube amp producers would make an amp with a treble bias (since "everyone" expects warm, more bassy sound from them).

So this amp is not very interesting if the "ugprade" is still hollow / cold or lacking in bass :wink: (as the original review, and other reviews, indicate)

I am also interested in how good the stereo separation is.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #18 of 48
im not sure about "Better" bass response with the newer version.
but at my search for a compact DAC i end up buying something else.
because this amp outputs too much power for most IEM or even fullsize headphones.

feature wise it is really appealing but not very practical with such high level output levels.
sry for the late reply.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #19 of 48
I think I will try this newer "raccoon" one :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #20 of 48
Hey Maxx134,

I just bought the newer Racoon SG300. This is the model with the PSVANE 12AT7-T tube in it. I have had it for about 4 days now. I have to say I am quite impressed with it. First off, this puppy has a ton of power. At 10 o'clock on the dial, it is plenty loud. It could easily power any 600 ohm headphone out there. I have not heard a better DAC AMP combo under 200. I have about 15 hours on it so far, and the sound is very impressive. I have it paired with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm. Paired with the Beyer, it improved the recessed mids, smoothed out the sibilance in the highs, and added some much needed warmth to music. I have always found the bass on the DT770 Pro to be a bit too boomy, and lacking some control. At times, it seems to lose focus with heavy metal music. The Racoon totally improves this. This DAC AMP just gives much better control to the low frequencies. Also, paired with Racoon, the midrange on the DT770 Pro is 100 percent improved. I have never heard the DT770 Pro sound this good before. My friend brought over his DT990 Pro 250 ohm, and the result was the same. It tamed the brightness, opened up the mids, and added a ton of warmth to the music. I think the Racoon is a great buy for anyone wanting a DAC AMP combo to use with Beyer headphones.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #21 of 48
  Hey Maxx134,

I just bought the newer Racoon SG300. This is the model with the PSVANE 12AT7-T tube in it. I have had it for about 4 days now. I have to say I am quite impressed with it. First off, this puppy has a ton of power. At 10 o'clock on the dial, it is plenty loud. It could easily power any 600 ohm headphone out there. I have not heard a better DAC AMP combo under 200. I have about 15 hours on it so far, and the sound is very impressive. I have it paired with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm. Paired with the Beyer, it improved the recessed mids, smoothed out the sibilance in the highs, and added some much needed warmth to music. I have always found the bass on the DT770 Pro to be a bit too boomy, and lacking some control. At times, it seems to lose focus with heavy metal music. The Racoon totally improves this. This DAC AMP just gives much better control to the low frequencies. Also, paired with Racoon, the midrange on the DT770 Pro is 100 percent improved. I have never heard the DT770 Pro sound this good before. My friend brought over his DT990 Pro 250 ohm, and the result was the same. It tamed the brightness, opened up the mids, and added a ton of warmth to the music. I think the Racoon is a great buy for anyone wanting a DAC AMP combo to use with Beyer headphones.

Good to hear, Granted size wise it's a king

but I wonder how it would compare to a Schiit Combo, which is sadly around $250 including shipping... still the Modi and Vali combo are pretty good, except for the Vali's hiss

Hmm what a neat little product! I wish I was still in that price bracket q.q

I'm always hesitent to review stuff like that since I may not be able to sell it off and I lack something to compare it to. The hm801 is a beastly little thing, [as far as teh Dac goes] 

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #22 of 48
I have not heard any of the Schiit stuff yet. I upgraded to the Racoon from a Fiio E10. As one would imagine, the sound quality improvement is a night and day difference. The Racoon has far more power as well. It is definitely a good bang for the buck buy. A friend of mine owns the Aune T1. I am interested in testing it against the Racoon to see which sounds better.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #23 of 48
  I have not heard any of the Schiit stuff yet. I upgraded to the Racoon from a Fiio E10. As one would imagine, the sound quality improvement is a night and day difference. The Racoon has far more power as well. It is definitely a good bang for the buck buy. A friend of mine owns the Aune T1. I am interested in testing it against the Racoon to see which sounds better.

Yea for $200 and an all in One the Racoon sounds like a winner! It should be a good comparison between the Aune T1 and the Racoon, both are popular Tube Dacs

May 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #24 of 48
About the Racoon SG300 ability to decode 24 bit / 192 kHz file, Ii find conflicting information...
It's primarily labeled as being a 24bit/96kHz DAC - amp.
However, it has the Cirrus Logic CS4398 decoder chip which is 192 kHz capable, and a second chip (for "D/A" conversion) the Tenor TE7022L which specs at 24bit/96kHz only. Can somebody explain if 192 kHz files will be properly played with this Racoon SG300 ?
thanks

May 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 48
  About the Racoon SG300 ability to decode 24 bit / 192 kHz file, Ii find conflicting information...
It's primarily labeled as being a 24bit/96kHz DAC - amp.
However, it has the Cirrus Logic CS4398 decoder chip which is 192 kHz capable, and a second chip (for "D/A" conversion) the Tenor TE7022L which specs at 24bit/96kHz only. Can somebody explain if 192 kHz files will be properly played with this Racoon SG300 ?
thanks

TE7022 is the limiting factor here, so the highest resolution you are going to get is 24/96.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 48
I cant give you a comparison. However, as a Racoon SG300 owner myself, I can definitely recommend it. It has a fairly warm sound signature. It is nice and smooth, and rather musical sounding. It also looks sexy as well in black. It offers plenty of power too. I rarely get beyond 9 o'clock on the dial. For most new recordings and with pc games, it is plenty loud at 8 or 9 o'clock while driving my AKG K612 Pro. I think you will be impressed.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #28 of 48
Resurrecting the thread :D
Any idea whether the tube is used when used as a pre-amp?
Thanks!

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #30 of 48
It is on Massdrop now...
I am jumping in :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back